Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-28 11:43:56

JimR
Website

how to save images on phone

I don't think this is an iOS specific question, but I don't have an Android. I haven't found a solution for iOS.

I have  a gallery with the download option enabled. On a desktop I get down-arrow on the cloud icon, and clicking that does download the file.

Doing the same steps on the iPhone does nothing. It doesn't download (where would it go?), but it also doesn't trigger the iPhone's "save image" option.

Normally a long touch (touch and hold) brings up the save image option, but that seems to be disabled by TTG Gallery.

If a client/model is viewing their photos on a phone, how can they save the image on their device?

--Jim

#2 2015-08-28 14:46:55

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: how to save images on phone

Frankly, I don't recall. Where's your gallery?

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2015-08-29 00:40:12

JimR
Website

--Jim

#4 2015-08-29 01:27:32

gaufde
Website

On my site the downloads button opens up a new page with the image on it. The user can then hold the image to download it. I just tried it on your site an it wasn't working. Maybe it is the touch presentation? I am on an iPhone 5 and my galleries use the Magnific Presentation.

Last edited by gaufde (2015-08-29 01:32:31)

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#5 2015-08-29 11:03:45

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The behavior Graceson describes is what I thought I remembered coding things to do. Why that's not working in your Touch presentation, I'm not sure just yet. Glad to hear it's working as intended with Magnific, though.

Matt

#6 2015-08-29 11:06:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The data-download attribute doesn't seem to be appearing with your images, so the JS is seeing nothing to do. I did some work on this for the last update, though it wasn't for this issue specifically. Might impact it, though, so could you please download and try the 6.1.7 update and let me know whether that works?

Matt

#7 2015-08-29 11:45:22

JimR
Website

Hmm, it works with mobile presentation set to Magnific popup, but it fails when set to Touch. That's the opposite of what I would have guessed.

The odd thing is using the Magnific popup create a grey ghost for the down-arrow cloud icon. When touching it, it opens the image in a new window. Long touch that and you get the Save Image option.

If you just long touch the original item, you also get the Save Image option.

I think I can change my gallery to not use Touch, and use the Magnific popup. But this seems like a bug in the Touch gallery.

I'm using Gallery 6.1.7, and regenerated the gallery with Magnific popup. Still fails.

--Jim

#8 2015-08-29 12:51:12

Matthew
Administrator
Website

JimR wrote:

Hmm, it works with mobile presentation set to Magnific popup, but it fails when set to Touch. That's the opposite of what I would have guessed.

Not me. Magnific is solid, and was developed to be a solid option in all circumstances, and as a reliable fallback should browsers break Touch, like happened to Photoswipe in CE3 after codeComputerLove dropped upkeep. The Touch presentation is more shaky, included only because I knew people would bitch about Magnific not having swipe support, and it's a bloody nightmare to work with; sadly, it was the most viable alternative I could find, and even then I had to work with the author to implement an improved API specifically for our many customizations and functional expansions. The whole thing is held together with tape.

JimR wrote:

I'm using Gallery 6.1.7, and regenerated the gallery with Magnific popup. Still fails.

Huh? Fails with Magnific? Or is that not what you meant?

Matt

#9 2015-08-29 14:45:58

JimR
Website

Matthew wrote:

Fails with Magnific? Or is that not what you meant?

D'oh! Got that backwards. I meant to say Touch still fails after regenerating with the 6.1.7 update.

The main thing that I wanted from Touch was zoom, which is very useful. Everyone I've met expects to be able to zoom images on a phone. Every time I see a person look at photos, they start pinching or double tapping their phone. When it didn't work, they asked me why it was broken. That's the only reason I'm using Touch.

Seems like we have to trade zoom for saving images, unless saving can be enabled/fixed in Touch.

--Jim

#10 2015-08-30 01:23:16

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Are you using CE4 Publisher to push the downloadable renditions? If not, do so.

Matt

#11 2015-08-30 04:20:34

JimR
Website

A quick test seem to show the download option works on the iPhone using the Touch gallery if you set Publisher to push the downloadable renditions.

There's a couple downsides.

I have to remember to keep the Publisher's copy to use the same settings at the Gallery's template. Not all that bad, since changing the template is a rare event (for me).

This creates two copies of all the images and that makes publishing take twice as long. That's a bummer because LR is so slow creating all the files, and I can only publisher one album at a time (to avoid LR bugs).

Is there a way to make the Touch gallery use the original set of images for downloading. The originals are in "photos" and the Publisher generated ones are in "photos-for-download".

I'm guessing a PHP Plugin couldn't change this.

--Jim

#12 2015-08-30 04:40:36

gaufde
Website

To use images in another folder for downloads you can change the path by going to Appearance>Image Download>High-Res Image Folder. However, there is a problem with this at the moment which was discussed in this thread: http://community.theturninggate.net/top … lery-617/. At the end Ben offers a solution that works pretty well.

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#13 2015-08-30 10:17:13

JimR
Website

gaufde wrote:

Ben offers a solution that works pretty well.

Matthew once told me that altering the TTG code was against the licensing policy, which I understand (being a product manager for a software company).

I also don't want to alter the TTG Galley web engine code, as this would break with every update.

Question for Matthew...

Can we fix the Touch gallery to have the download option work just as it does when Publisher creates renditions when just the download option is set? This is showing the UI, as one would expect, but the code in Touch is broken (it doesn't support that Gallery option).

Using the Publisher renditions seems to be a way to create a second image, such as a hi-res option. I don't want/need a second copy, I just want the same behavior as Magnific.

Or can we expect Magnific to support zoom on mobile devices?

--Jim

#14 2015-08-30 10:33:49

JimR
Website

gaufde wrote:

To use images in another folder for downloads you can change the path by going to Appearance>Image Download>High-Res Image Folder.

That doesn't solve the problem. It's just another way to work around the problem, but ends up being a more complicate (manual) way than simply using the (automatic way) with Publisher renditions.

The original images are held in a folder "photos" which is automatically created when you publish. When you're using a desktop computer and have the download image option enabled pointing at "photos", those are the same images you see as the ones you download.

On a mobile device with the Touch gallery, the download option is broken. It won't download from "photos." This works in Magnific which seems to be looking in the "photos" folder for downloads.

The work around for Touch is to enable Publisher renditions, which creates a second folder of images which are placed in "photos-for-download." While this is automatic, it's a second copy of the same file. Doing it this way is a work around, but it's redundant and slows the publishing process creating duplicate files.

Your suggestion of using images in an entirely another folder is just another second copy. Setting this to "photos" is how you avoid creating a second copy of all the images. Changing this to something else means manually creating images, and then uploading them. It also means every time I edit an image, rather than simply clicking Publish on the album I'd have to remember to manually create the images and then upload them. Right? That defeats the purpose of using Publisher.

I don't want any manual effort, as this would be a real hassle maintaining the over 1,000 images in dozens of albums that change as I add/edit/delete images.

Using the Publisher renditions is the best option, since this is fully automatic. I'm just wondering if there's a way to avoid the duplication of rendering the same file twice, at the same settings.

--Jim

#15 2015-08-30 10:46:07

JimR
Website

I haven't looked closely at the Touch code, but found this in the Gallery setup.lua

Looks like this is the code that could be altered to make the Touch gallery download from the "photos" folder which is always present.

local downloadFolder
    if mode == 'preview' then
        downloadFolder = "photos"
    elseif publisher and M.publisher.imageDownload.enable then
        downloadFolder = "photos-for-download"
    else
        downloadFolder = M.imageDownload.folder
    end

As a guess, the Touch gallery isn't setting the mode to 'preview.' Not sure doing so is a good idea or not (it may have other side effects).

Another idea is that I can use the PHP Plugin API to change the downloadFolder variable to point at "photos" (rather than "photos-for-download" which isn't present without asking Publisher to create a second copy of "photos").

Can I add some code to my PHP Plugin to change the downloadFolder for the mobile Touch gallery?

--Jim

#16 2015-08-30 13:53:42

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The mode "preview" is when the gallery is loading in Lightroom; at export, the mode is "publish".

Matt

#17 2015-08-30 14:13:16

Matthew
Administrator
Website

JimR wrote:

Can we fix the Touch gallery to have the download option work just as it does when Publisher creates renditions when just the download option is set?

I don't know. I need to discuss with Ben how publisher handles the feature now. But having download buttons work on search results pages is the reason this changed, and is the priority feature.

JimR wrote:

Not a chance.

Matt

#18 2015-08-30 15:23:35

JimR
Website

Matthew wrote:

JimR wrote:

Not a chance.

LOL! I'm not surprised.

BTW - I also don't use Search.

Back to my main question, seems if I can point Touch to use the existing "photos" folder rather than it needing Publisher to generate a duplicate in "photos-for-download" then things will work.

Is there some code I can add in my PHP Plugin to set the downloadFolder from "photos-for-download" to "photos"?

I'm willing to test this idea, but hoping I can get a clue before venturing off on this hunt.

--Jim

#19 2015-08-31 14:29:57

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Nope.

We're working on changes that should help. Standby.

Matt

Board footer