Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-31 15:55:20

trav.d.hale

Few Wordpress Theme Questions

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am considering changing the way I have my website set up so that it is essentially wordpress as a home page, which then (using wordpress's navigation) links to the Auto-Index and Galleries.

I use the publisher in LR, and the publisher plugin so if I were to get the theme for wordpress, is it the case that I would need to either set up a gallery (e.g. make the homepage show a gallery) or link to the Auto-Index folder to get it to show the specific images.

With the wordpress system, I could then essentially have static pages (e.g. about me, info, services and so on) rather than doing the pages?

Since it is using wordpress, are all of the typical wordpress plugins supported, so they should have no specific effect on the TTG stuff?

Finally, how are people handling displaying images in blog posts, I assume that is not using something like LR to post directly to the blog is it, in which case which gallery plugins are you using so that the interaction between say a user and the Gallery of CE4 is the same as a user interacting with a blog image?

How does the theme work in terms of layouts, presumably it handles one column, multiple columns and full width styles as I would be keen to have certain pages which were full width and consistent with something like the Gallery in CE4

Appreciate your feedback, then I can work out if I should look at the theme or not.

Many thanks,

#2 2015-07-31 15:57:25

trav.d.hale

Re: Few Wordpress Theme Questions

Sorry also forgot, is there any way you can tie the navigation for say the Galleries / Auto-Index in with that of the Wordpress, so I keep the wordpress navigation structure when looking at the Auto-Index and Galleries and so on?

#3 2015-07-31 16:11:43

Matthew
Administrator
Website

This tutorial covers the many nuts-and-bolts of setup, including binding all navigation to WordPress:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php?id=ce4_102

The theme supports one and two-column layouts on a per-page/post basis; I've tried to make it as flexible as possible, more so than dedicated WordPress themes I've used in the past. I can't speak to the entire world of WordPress themes, but of the many themes that I have experience with, CE4 Theme for WordPress is the only theme that *I* want to use, hence my building it.

The theme is not compatible with some Jetpack features, but it otherwise compatible with all WordPress plugins that I have tried, and I haven't heard of any other incompatibilities.

Using WordPress, you can create as many pages as you like.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2015-07-31 16:17:50

trav.d.hale

Thanks Matt, does that mean that if Jetpack is enabled it will break the theme, or just that some of the features of Jetpack won't work, as I like the idea of the Jetpack notifications, stats and so on?

#5 2015-07-31 22:12:18

rod barbee
Website

Finally, how are people handling displaying images in blog posts, I assume that is not using something like LR to post directly to the blog is it, in which case which gallery plugins are you using so that the interaction between say a user and the Gallery of CE4 is the same as a user interacting with a blog image?

I've simply created a Lightroom Export that sizes the images, sharpens, and adds a watermark. The images are exported to a folder I specify for a particular post. When the export is done running, the folder containing those images pops open. I can then just drag them in to WordPress.

There are Lightroom Publisher plug-ins that will upload, presumably, to your WordPress media manager. Here's one:
http://apps.meow.fr/wplr-sync/
and its companion WordPress plug-in: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wplr-sync/
(apparently they work together)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2015-08-01 14:09:45

Matthew
Administrator
Website

trav.d.hale wrote:

Thanks Matt, does that mean that if Jetpack is enabled it will break the theme, or just that some of the features of Jetpack won't work, as I like the idea of the Jetpack notifications, stats and so on?

Off the top of my head, I do not recall many of the specifics, nor do I keep up with Jetpack's updates, as I think it's evil. For most of what you want to do with Jetpack, you would be better off locating individual plugins.

I doubt stats would cause an issue, though. Things I know simply will not work include lazy-load (because I dislike it, so haven't bothered with compatibility), image galleries (because they are in direct conflict with the theme's included gallery features), mobile website (because the theme is responsive, so fuck that dumb jazz) ...

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2015-08-05 14:32:03

gaufde
Website

If you would like to look at an example of a site built on Wordpress then feel free to check out any of mine. Just as you are considering, I use the Wordpress theme to create all of my text pages. Then I also have auto index, publisher, galleries, and the cart running to power those sides of my sites which are all linked together through the navigation. I highly recommend the Wordpress theme. I can't compare it to using Pages because I don't have a copy of that, but I found Wordpress to do everything I want. I also haven't had any problems with it, and it fits in with everything else beautifully. I especially like the ease of having Wordpress manage all of my navigation links and the fact that I can create unlimited pages and use any plugin.

As far as managing blog images in Wordpress the CE4 theme is no different than any other Wordpress plugin. You simply upload images through the media manager and then choose to insert them into posts or pages. Like Rod, I just export images out of Lr and then upload them.

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#8 2015-08-07 11:14:44

trav.d.hale

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

#9 2015-08-08 20:16:03

trav.d.hale

gaufde, just wondering with your photography blog what you are using for the front page gallery thing, and if it is integrated with the the turning gate gallery?

#10 2015-08-08 20:17:03

trav.d.hale

Also Rod, or Matthew, is there an easy way using the wordpress theme, to show a slideshow of photos on the first page, and then the blog, or alternatively to show the blog navigation but with a the turning gate slideshow

#11 2015-08-08 22:29:16

rod barbee
Website

you can include a Galleria gallery on any WordPress page: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _slideshow

Which is what Graceson has on the front page of his photo blog.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#12 2015-08-09 01:47:09

gaufde
Website

Rod said exactly what I do, but I thought that I would add a little more. Basically, the galleria slideshow feature is built into the TTG Wordpress theme. That means that the images in the slideshow are managed by Wordpress, not [TTG's publisher]. The way I have my homepage and blog page set up is a feature of Wordpress under the "Reading Settings". I changed "Front page displays" to "A static page". This lets me choose one page as the landing page, and another as the page for my blog (two pages I had to create myself).
Graceson

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

Board footer