Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-21 07:24:32

les

Publisher keeps failing since I updated to LR CC

I have been using CE4 Publisher very happily in LR5 for the last year and then I updated to LR6 a few weeks ago and the upload is working at snail speed uploading maybe 1-4 images before it crashes out and gives me the following error message. In fact as from today it doesn't load up any images before crashing.

Error uploading rendition.
Unable to complete the action.
  Headers:  {     [error] =>  {         [errorCode] => "timedOut"        [name] => "The request timed out."        [nativeCode] => -1001
    }
}

Doesn't matter where I am or whichever internet access point i am using, same result. It is now making CE4 unusable.

I have the latest TTG Software loaded and I have reinstalled the Publisher Plug-in.

None of my galleries are new and I have been loading up to them very happily for the last 6 months.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

#2 2015-05-21 07:29:30

rod barbee
Website

Re: Publisher keeps failing since I updated to LR CC

Be sure to post a link to an album. Ben will probably want to see your logs. He may also need access to ttg-be.

see this: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … g_for_help

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-06-23 08:58:18

cleverxp

I have the same issue now. It's frustrating...now when my webpage was ready and completed, i update to LR CC 2015...and it won't work. I tried contacting Godaddy assuming it was their problem. They made me migrate to their new servers with "cpanel" and had to pay for that upgrade and now...nothing. When i try to publish, after slowly starting to publish a couple of images i get the same error again:

--------------
Warning

Can't update this collection.

Error uploading rendition.

Unable to complete the action.
  Headers:  {     [error] =>  {         [errorCode] => "badServerResponse"        [name] => "The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response"        [nativeCode] => 12152
    }
}
-------------

Then you wait 60 seconds and try again and it repeats the same thing. I think it is some CE4 bug or compatibility issue with CC, as i was publishing before with no problem and after upgrading to the latest CE4 and CC versions, the problem began and persisted.
Please help.
Thanks!

#4 2015-06-23 10:37:06

Ben

There are no show-stopper bugs in Publisher - if there were this forum would be flooded with posts.

Can you email me the Publisher API URL and key you are using? (change the key to something you can share first).  I'll then see whether I can authenticate to the URL.  Also, I will provide you with an API URL and key on my own server for you to perform an equivalent test.  That should help isolate whether the issue is on the server, in Lightroom or on your network.

#5 2015-06-23 13:20:19

cleverxp

Thanks Ben:
Here you can test with an API URL:
http://www.cleverxposure.com/ttg-be/publisher/

API key: hellottgce4

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

#6 2015-06-23 22:02:49

Ben

Thanks for the API details.  I was able to publish an unlisted gallery without a problem: http://www.cleverxposure.com/galleries/ben-test/

I've messaged you the publisher details for my testing site.  Can you try publishing there and let me know how it goes?
(Messages can be found by clicking on the 'PM' link on the top-right corner of this page)

#7 2015-06-24 00:33:15

cleverxp

Hi Ben:
I can see you published only 3 images. I get the problems when publishing lots of images. Can you try with more than let's say...25 or 30 photos?

#8 2015-06-24 06:22:53

Ben

Ah, I had assumed that when you said it won't work that it wasn't functional at all.
This post here seems to have found the root cause of the problem:
http://community.theturninggate.net/post/28848/#p28848

The mod_sec rules are too restrictive and trigger a denial-of-service block on the Publisher submissions. Can you contact GoDaddy and ask them to tweak mod_sec for you so that you can Publisher won't trigger DoS blocking?

#9 2015-06-25 09:21:36

cleverxp

This is pretty bad, I just contacted Godaddy and they said:
Devin -
I'm trying to see if we have a way to modify that but for this type of block we might not.
Devin -
Because that specific error "Automated Attacks" is one we can't touch. That would be a problem you'd have to address in the actual code.
Devin -
We looked up the block that was being triggered right now and that is not one we can address or edit.
Devin -
If it was something else or a rule we could adjust we definitely would.
Devin -
You can address that with the api developer.
Devin -
Well other hosting providers might have more laxed rules but Most will have moc_sec in place.
Devin -
And that particular rule is considered a pretty bad one because it can cause some pretty major issues.
Pablo Reyes -
Cant you just modify that rule just for my hosting account?
Devin -
Not that rule
Devin -
That is pretty much a blacklisted rule.

-----

So that is really a bad news for me, as i have to post a lot of images frequently.

They sent me the block so that Matt, the developer,  can check it and see what or how the API can be modified for this not to happen:

We looked at the mod_sec error on the server and are showing it was listed as an Automated Attack. [Wed Jun 24 16:18:54.326615 2015] [:error] [pid 709465:tid 139694588905216] [client 179.52.15.47] ModSecurity: Access denied with connection close (phase 2). 1[file"/web/modsecurity.d/activated_rules/modsecurity_gd_07_post_guardian.conf"][line "25"] [id "10710"] [msg "BLOCKED - Automated Attacks(cached)"] [hostname"www.cleverxposure.com"] [uri "/ttg-be/publisher/"] [unique_id "VYs63cZH5CQACtNZ BJwAAADA"]

------------------
Please help. What can we do?

Last edited by cleverxp (2015-06-25 09:33:44)

#10 2015-06-25 10:40:42

Ben

I'm the developer of Publisher.  The fact is that Publisher is an application that uses a service you are paying for.  It is not malicious, and is not causing excess traffic.  That GoDaddy are blocking that service and knowingly and unwillingly not allowing it leaves this entirely in their court. Other TTG users have had luck in 'upgrading the cpanel', whatever that may entail.  One user had luck in having GoDaddy change their mod_sec rules, either for him alone or on a less granular level.

The only change we could make to work-around this would be to create an artificial delay between requests.  The Lightroom SDK that we have to work with does not offer a way to do this.  It may be worth experimenting on your server code to add a delay in *processing* the requests, so that Lightroom sends through subsequent requests less frequently as it's left waiting for the result of the previous request.  Whether this would work depends on how many parallel requests Lightroom would attempt to make without waiting for prior requests to complete.

This post has a good summary of the situation with different options to deal with it: http://developers.wpeasycart.com/2014/0 … -an-issue/

#11 2015-06-25 11:11:28

rod barbee
Website

Please help. What can we do?

One suggestion:
change hosting. Many of us are using Bluehost with no problems.

when I switched from GoDaddy to Bluehost, GoDaddy credited me for time not used.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-06-26 03:40:55

cleverxp

Hi Ben. Thanks for the help. I tested to your site and it went ok and no returned errors.
Definitely it's the security rules of Godaddy.
My question now is: is that really a bad policy from Godaddy? I mean, should we move our hosting to a less secure one in order to make this work? What will happen when the hosting companies agree to implement more security in their servers to protect the customer info?
I can move to Bluehost or any other hosting service...but will this be for a good valid reason? I know you say there is no solution for this other than they lower they're security to accommodate APIs from developers that design algorithms of posting and transfer files to servers with no tight security rules, or to insert delays that then would make it more inefficient and slow. But it worries me that Publisher now only would work under that conditions and, looking at the increased security measures being implemented worldwide in internet servers, in the future we won't be able to continue using this plugin. I might not be understanding what exactly is going on here...but i think we have to think about it and work on a definite long term solution. I do respect and praise the work you all have achieved with the plugin. It's just that we have recently invested money and time buying them, understanding them, configuring them, moving hosting to better plans and now...after being with one the major Hosting companies out there for almost a decade, deciding to move my websites to another one with a lower security settings doesn't look like a good move. Again, i don't mean disrespect or offense. Just to give it a little more thought. Thanks!

#13 2015-06-26 06:49:26

Ben

I understand your concerns. 

Short answer:

Yes it really is a bad policy.  It breaks legitimate and safe applications from working.  There is no implication that other hosts are less secure by not implementing the same policy in the same way.  There are more sophisticated ways to defend against the same attacks without affecting proper use of the site.

Longer answer:

GoDaddy's method of attack prevention is unsophisticated.  Other hosts (every host but GoDaddy, many with much higher reputations) are able to protect their accounts without such a method that blocks safe and legitimate use of CMS applications, of which Publisher is one. 

This rule is not new.  GoDaddy has been doing this for at least six years, which is when I first encountered the issue in attempting to write an Export plugin (the equivalent of Publisher before the publishing API was added to Lightroom).  So we're left with a single host implementing this unsophisticated solution, and having done so for many years without any other host that we've encountered following suit.  GoDaddy's implementation is therefore no indication of a growing trend.

We have long recommended Bluehost for those setting up new websites or moving hosts.  Should Bluehost (or a significant pool of hosts) start implementing such a rule that affects Publisher, then we will be sure to do everything we can to adapt Publisher to keep working as intended, liaising with Bluehost if needed.  There are other benefits to moving from GoDaddy - better customer support, more flexible hosting tools (such as SSH access) and much faster response times being some of them.

--

Having said all that, I'm happy to help try to implement a response delay on your server to see whether that helps.  That should only involve a few additional lines of code, and some tweaking of the delay to see how short a delay will prevent the rule from triggering.  If you'd like me to look into that, please provide me with FTP access via the Email link under my picture.

#14 2016-05-10 12:04:00

ttg-jim

I know this an old post, but I am having the same issues with Godaddy cPanel hosting.  I too am concerned about changing to a new host, only to run into the same issues later down the road.

#15 2016-05-10 12:14:20

Ben

This is a GoDaddy issue, and has been an issue with them for the best part of a decade.  The only host that has had similar issues is Network Solutions.  You're not likely to encounter it with other hosts.

#16 2016-05-10 12:22:30

ttg-jim

OK then, off to BlueHost I go !

What kind of package should I ask Bluehost for?  I'm running CE4 with the wordpress bundle, plus Cart.

Alternatively, will Backlight run in to the same issues (I presume it will as it uses the Lightroom Publisher too doesn't it?)

#17 2016-05-10 14:07:00

rod barbee
Website

I'm using their shared hosting, without complaint.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2016-05-10 16:13:24

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Bluehost's basic shared hosting plan is usually sufficient.

Ben and I both use them for our personal hosting, so setting up with Bluehost comes with that particular benefit; because we use them ourselves, we test our products extensively on their servers, which makes them possibly the best option for TTG users.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer