Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-19 01:50:58

sileibo

First PHP post - unlikely to be my last!

It is with considerable regret that I find myself in this area of the forum.

But I give in - I gotta tackle these php things :-/

Ok, first up is this 'Server Path to PHPlugins without trailing slash'

Since I am working in a temporary 'test' subdomain, I figure this Path is going to need updateing once I have finished and I move everything to my actual root domain.

So since I have already set up another permanent subdomain for stuff like favicons, apple-touch-icons and multiple Mastheads of various dimensions, I have gone right ahead and placed the whole phplugins folder here as well.

I was also genius enough to put this media subdomain address in my initial Pages 'server path to phplugins without trailing slash' field.

As long as I have the whole phplugins folder in here (and not just the phplugins.php file, like I tried the first time), it seems to be working .... or at least I get a Ping back anyway.

My question is ....

is this a sound approach or will there be some other unforeseen consequences?

#2 2015-06-19 01:56:53

sileibo

Re: First PHP post - unlikely to be my last!

actually, thats not the only question ...

should I even use this 'Ping' back address? ..... why not stick with the actual absolute URL that I used in the Pages 'server Path to Php etc first of all?

#3 2015-06-19 02:22:31

rod barbee
Website

is this a sound approach or will there be some other unforeseen consequences?

It can be. The unforeseen consequences come in when it comes to urls to resources like custom css. So instead of use "/phplugins/css/custom.css" for the path to your custom css file, you'll need to put the absolute url, like:

http://sub-domain.yoursite.com/phplugins/css/custom.css

should I even use this 'Ping' back address? ..... why not stick with the actual absolute URL that I used in the Pages 'server Path to Php etc first of all?

the path to phplugins field in Lightroom needs to be a server path, not a URL (if you're actually talking about a url)

But if you're asking what I think you might be asking, you could just set up your phplugins in its final destination in your main site (public_html/phplugins/) and put the server path to that location into Lightroom for the sub-domain stuff you're doing.

then, when you're ready to take the test subdomain live, you won't have to change any of those server paths and re-export from Lightroom. You can just move your test site over to the public_html folder
(this is exactly what I did when developing my CE4 site while my CE3 site was still up and running.)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2015-06-19 03:43:56

sileibo

Ok thanks, I think I'm following this correctly and you're advice sounds good.

Just one thing then ...

if I use the public_html/phplugins/ approach that you suggest ... I guess I would need to (go back) and use this server path in my 'initial' Pages export as well? (I mean, as well as all the other gallery etc exports)?

(as apposed to leaving it blank, because if it's blank it will not work while it's in my test subdomain).

hope that makes sense

#5 2015-06-19 04:51:16

sileibo

Whoops - I think i've just had a realisation about how to deal with my test site thats make such more sense.

Build the test - leave it where ever I build it - when I finished, just point public domain to that folder

I expect that's really obvious, now I come to think about it and should solve the above worries.

Moving on .....

#6 2015-06-19 07:09:35

rod barbee
Website

sileibo wrote:

Ok thanks, I think I'm following this correctly and you're advice sounds good.

Just one thing then ...

if I use the public_html/phplugins/ approach that you suggest ... I guess I would need to (go back) and use this server path in my 'initial' Pages export as well? (I mean, as well as all the other gallery etc exports)?

(as apposed to leaving it blank, because if it's blank it will not work while it's in my test subdomain).

hope that makes sense

Yes, if you use that approach you'd need to put that server path in your initial Pages export for the test domain. The advantage is that it's all set and all you have to do when the site is ready is to move from the sub-domain to main domain. (which saves you from having to create a redirect and possibly messing with the .htaccess file for other things)

I think doing it this way will be simpler in the long run. Redirecting might cause unforeseen issues.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer