Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-16 23:35:23

sileibo

Single page Gallery and Publisher

This is not an update issue, as this is my first time with CE4 Publisher.

I've installed all the Publisher components.

Site framework is from Pages, with the Gallery assigned to Home (fro Full Page Flip etc).

For my actual gallery, I just want this to open straight into a one page gallery (for now) - so I set the links to /galleries and created the actual gallery using CE4 Gallery - placing this output Galleries folder at top level.

This all works great until I try to introduce Publisher to my gallery.

I've made various attempts but keep getting problems (broken links/permissions/nothing changing).

At the moment, if I create an Album and publish ... this is then popping up as folder inside my galleries folder.

I'm thinking this is something to do with not using multiple galleries and Auto Index?

How can I make this work with a single gallery?

Thx

#2 2015-06-17 00:03:02

rod barbee
Website

Re: Single page Gallery and Publisher

At the moment, if I create an Album and publish ... this is then popping up as folder inside my galleries folder.

this is how the system works. The Galleries page is an index page.

How can I make this work with a single gallery?

Using Publisher, create an album. If you don't want this album appearing on the Galleries page, then under the Features tab, check Hide from Auto Index.

To get this album to come up when you click the Enter button on the Front Page flip gallery, use the URL to this newly published album.

For example, let's say you named this new album "Entry Album". The slug will be "entry-album".

For the "Enter" link on your home page flip gallery, use the url http://yoursite.com/galleries/entry-album

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-06-17 00:59:44

sileibo

Hi Rob, this helps me understand a bit, but I haven't been quite clear enough.

It's not about the Home page enter button (I have that directed to my About page).

I have a Gallery menu item and I just want my published album to respond to that.

I must be simple, but I keep getting it wrong :-(

#4 2015-06-17 01:17:43

sileibo

let me try and explain this better ....

In Pages my target for Gallery menu item is set to /galleries

I have a gallery template (called CE4-Gallery) placed here .... ttg-be>templates>gallery>CE4-Gallery

So ...

1/ do I have an empty 'galleries' folder at top level?

2/ in the Lightroom Publishing Manager ... what do I put in 'Top-levels galleries directory?

3/ when setting up the Album .... what do I have for ....

Album: ?
Album Description ?
Slug?

In features, do I click 'Hide from Auto Index?

I must have tried nearly all combinations, but keep getting things like ...

"Can't Update this collection
Unable to perform action: createAlbum
Please create this directory and set permissions to 777."

#5 2015-06-17 03:24:50

rod barbee
Website

1) since you're using Pages, you do have a top level galleries folder named "galleries". This is the gallery index page where visitors can access your galleries.

2) put "galleries" without the quote marks (no  need for /galleries)

3) You can put just about anything you want for Album Name and Description. Slug will be filled in automatically but you can also customize it. Use only letters, numbers, dashes, and underscores.

If I understand what you're asking, you want a link on your menu that will take you to a single gallery, correct?

The Galleries page is not the place for this. But you can do just what I described earlier: create an album and hide it from the Galleries page autoindex (if you don't want it showing up in the index)
Then in your navigation menu, add a navigation item for this gallery and give it a target of http://yoursite.com/galleries/my-gallery/

If all you ever want on your site is this one gallery, then you don't even really need to mess with Publisher. You could simply export and upload the gallery to the root of your site and provide the link to it in your navigation menu.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2015-06-17 04:28:47

sileibo

As always - thanks Rob.

Yes, you understand me correctly - I only want a single gallery at this point, though will expand later.

I realise Publisher is not really necessary for this, but I just thought I'd use it as a way of getting a handle on Publisher generally.

My 'Galleries' page had also been assigned as the Home (full screen flip), so this was another factor.

With out Publisher, I was removing the Galleries folder and replacing it with my export from CE4 Gallery - which worked fine.

I might try your hidden buried approach but I'm thinking this might get confusing later when I come to update, so possibly ditch Publisher on this one.

Thanks again

#7 2015-06-17 06:14:14

rod barbee
Website

My 'Galleries' page had also been assigned as the Home

I believe that's actually "the Gallery" that's being assigned to the home page. The Galleries page is different and is where you'd usually assign the "the Autoindex" (although you can assign "the Gallery" to the Galleries page and choose the full-page flip or a Galleria slide show. If you choose Full Page flip however, you won't be able to access the galleries index!)

The good thing about using Publisher for this is that you can have you single gallery now  (hidden from the Galleries page index if you wish) and then later uncheck the box that hides it and it will appear on the Galleries page. This way you could, I suppose, rotate featured galleries.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer