Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-15 06:28:48

dougc

"Modified Photos" problem

I think this problem began when I upgraded from CE3 to CE4.  I am slowly working through my albums, trying to get my web site completely cleaned up in CE4.

The problem:  In the CE4 section of the Publish Services Library Module, when I click on an album that I originally published in CE3, I often find that photos start migrating into the "Modified Photos" section, even though I have not intentionally modified the photos.  This "migration" usually stops after one or two dozen photos "migrate" in albums that can have as many as several hundred photos in them. 

Sometimes I also see a change in the "Custom Order" of the photos within an album.  This mis-ordering seems to have occurred randomly (some albums effected, others not) during the automatic translation from CE3 to CE4.  Insuring that "Custom Order" is selected, rather than "Capture Time", etc., does not solve this problem.  All of my CE3 albums were created with "Custom Order" for the photos within the albums.

I do not know if there might be a connection between these two issues, but would like to know if others have reported this and/or if there is a solution.

Thanks,
Doug

#2 2015-06-15 07:00:50

rod barbee
Website

Re: "Modified Photos" problem

Ben will probably need to see logs and possibly have admin access to ttg-be. See:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … g_for_help

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-06-15 12:42:17

dougc

Rod,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have copied the log files and they are ready to email to Ben, should he want to see them.  I have pretty much cleaned up my Publisher CE4 photo album collections so I am not sure how that will be reflected in the latest logs.  Ben can be the judge of that.  It may be academic at this point unless finding out what is going on helps others (or me in the future!).

The web site in question is www.collinsnet.us

Doug

#4 2015-06-15 19:41:17

Ben

Hi Doug,  sorry but there's not much I can advise about this.  Both issues are new to me, and the logs won't shed any light on how Lightroom handles the migration.  The migration does not explicitly alter the images in any way, either visually or in terms of metadata.  So the 'modified' status should not be happening, unless Lightroom is changing something internally.

Does the reordering problem happen only when some photos are marked as modified?  Or vice versa?  If it's the case that some albums only have photos marked as modified, but no ordering problem, then does selecting all the modified photos and marking them as published solve the problem for those albums?  If you are able to fix them in that way, without actually re-publishing, then the photos should still remain in order on your server.  The re-ordering information is only sent through from Lightroom upon publishing.

#5 2015-06-15 23:56:09

dougc

Ben,

Thanks for your thoughts on these problems. 

With regard to the "Modified Photos" problem, I found that I could select a collection, wait for photos to stop "auto" Modifying, then select all photos in the collection and publish them with the "Update metadata without uploading existing photos" box ticked.  It seemed like Lightroom was re-uploading the "Modified" photos, but not the others.  The re-publish went fairly quickly.  The correct order was preserved.

With regard to the mis-ordered photos, the only solution I found was to remove all of the photos from the collection (select all, right click, click on remove from collection), then select all of the correctly ordered photos in the CE3 version of the same collection and drag them into the now empty CE4 version, then publish the collection with "Update metadata without uploading existing photos" box ticked.  I don't know why the photo order was preserved in some of my albums and not others in the transition from CE3 to CE4.  I observed no pattern to this phenomenon.

I think I have my web site straightened out now.

Thanks again for looking at this.

Doug

Board footer