Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-08 04:44:27

JimR
Website

MetadataHandler.lua:2155: C stack overflow

I've updated from CE3 to CE4, and as I publish albums I'm getting this error dialog from Lightroom:

An internal error has occurred.
MetadataHandler.lua:2155: C stack overflow.

I simply selected a few albums holding 40-100 items and clicked Publish.

Once I get this error, I click OK (no, it's not "ok") but it immediately pops up (presumably as LR is processing the next image).

The CE4 Publisher plug in says there's no diagnostic messages.

This is going to be a real pain as I update a few thousand images sad

Any clues how to track this down and fix it?

Last edited by JimR (2015-06-08 04:50:30)

--Jim

#2 2015-06-08 05:19:12

rod barbee
Website

Re: MetadataHandler.lua:2155: C stack overflow

I thought I saw something like this in the forum a short time ago. You could try a search.
otherwise: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … g_for_help

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-06-08 07:10:09

JimR
Website

Yup, I read the other threads. They appeared to be related to a number of other issues, and can't tell if they're actually related to what I'm seeing.

In my case if I select two or more albums to publish at the same time I get this error. Simple as that.

I wasn't even using meta-data (titles or captions).

Last edited by JimR (2015-06-08 07:39:15)

--Jim

#4 2015-06-08 08:52:01

Ben

Hi Jim, the Lightroom SDK is not thread-safe.  The error you've received is caused by an internal function ipairs, which is used to iterate over various data structures in the Metadata Handler.  When replacing these with indexed for loops, that particular error goes away, but a new C stack overflow arises in attempting to call SDK functions on Photos. 
I'm looking into ways of making the metadata calls thread safe.  So far, all the tips on this point to adding C code, which I don't believe the Lightroom SDK supports.

If you have albums underneath a common Album Set then you can publish all albums under that set by choosing Publish Now on the Album Set; Lightroom handles the publishing in sequence, avoiding the race conditions.
Otherwise, the safest option is to only publish to one album at a time.

Publisher uses the MetadataHandler for other information not specified in your own metadata setup.  This includes photo titles, colour tags and GPS coordinates.

#5 2015-06-09 01:38:37

JimR
Website

If you have albums underneath a common Album Set then you can publish all albums under that set by choosing Publish Now on the Album Set; Lightroom handles the publishing in sequence, avoiding the race conditions.

Yup - I found that to be true. Pain in the butt to only publish on album at a time.

--Jim

Board footer