Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-06 16:59:27

gaufde
Website

Image Quality: Magnific Popup vs Touch Display

I recently noticed that the images on my website looked somewhat blurry on retina devices such as an iPad and iPhone. At first I thought that this was because of the retina display so I began to increase my image sizes to try and fix the problem. However, I noticed no difference as I did this. I kept going back and forth between my site and Rod's site to compare. I looked for anything that could make a difference. Finally, I noticed that Rod was using the Magnific Popup to display his mobile images as opposed to me using the Touch Display. I just changed this on my site and found that using the Magnific Popup gave sharper results.
Here are two screenshots from a retina iPad for comparison. The first is from the Touch Display and the second one is the Magnific Popup:
IMG_0090.PNG
IMG_0091.PNG
You can see that the text and details in the mountains in the first screenshot are much softer than in the second image. I just thought I would share this observation with the community in case anyone else is having trouble with image sharpness.
Graceson

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#2 2015-07-04 00:46:01

rsamco
Website

Re: Image Quality: Magnific Popup vs Touch Display

I just changed from Magnific Popup to Touch Display galleries and noticed that full sized gallery images are now blurry on retina devices ... and found this post in researching the cause/fix. Since no one has commented with a solution am I to assume that that's the way it is and I should move back to using Magnific Popup galleries if I wish to have sharp retina gallery images? True? Rod or Matthew could you comment, please? TIA.

PS I switched to Touch in order to have its slideshow feature.

Rick

#3 2015-07-04 01:47:16

Matthew
Administrator
Website

If you can live without gestures, then Magnific is the better of the two.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2015-07-04 08:39:35

rsamco
Website

It is more than just gestures, Magnific doesn't have the ability for slideshows as well, right?

Rick

#5 2015-07-04 12:39:24

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Auto-play? No, it doesn't do that. Which doesn't bother me a bit; I absolutely hate auto-running slideshows, especially on my phone. That's me, though.

I'll say this: I don't know yet what comes after CE4, but whatever it is, the "Touch" presentation will not be coming along for the ride. Highslide and Magnific I'm good with; TouchSwipe not so much. Highslide supports the auto-play on desktop; using Magnific for mobile doesn't have auto-play, but is otherwise quite good at what it does.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer