Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-05 12:39:52

john bishop images
Website

H1, H2, etc and SEO/UX

I've been refining the appearance of my website's blog and have discovered that header tag usage doesn't seem to follow any consistent or logical hierarchy. While I realize that Google's use of headers is unclear and not particularly well documented, the existing hierarchy doesn't follow any of the rather well researched SEO guidelines, most notably SEO Journal

"The proportion of the H1’s influence on rankings compared to the overall picture has diminished over time, but is still an important ranking factor to many of the top minds in the SEO industry."

and Vertical Measures. Even Google weighs in (p20) ...

"Heading tags are an important website component for catching the user's eye, so be careful how you use them!"

For example, the only place an <H1> tag is used directly by the TTG CE4 theme is in "comments.php" when there is more than 1 page of comments to display (there is another but it's in the file "touchnswipe.cfg.js") ...

<h1 class="assistive-text"><?php _e( 'Comment navigation', 'loc' ); ?></h1>

I think an H5 or H6 is more appropriate here.

Here's what I would like to see...

1. For Posts and Pages, the main title should be H1 and the subtitle (via the optionally supported plugin) should be H2.

2. I would like to see H3 and H4 set aside for user use (I use them to break a post or a page into "sections").

3. Sidebar Widget Titles could be H5 or H6

Even if they don't help in Google's ranking, they make for better page layout and structure and can visually reinforce keywords and page sections. From my perspective, anything that makes my site more user friendly and easier to engage with I will use; it's all about the UX.

I am going to update my theme to reflect these settings and would be delighted to see them adopted by TTG's CE4 WordPress theme. It certainly can't hurt!

Thanks!

John
;-j

PS. I realize that CE4 Pages, Autoindex, Stage and Gallery only use H2 as well. The Stage fullscreen-flip uses H2 for each image but in Autoindex and Gallery it is used for the gallery title and that seems inconsistent to me as well. Not too sure yet what I'd like to see here...

Last edited by john bishop images (2015-06-05 13:08:01)

#2 2015-06-05 15:27:25

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: H1, H2, etc and SEO/UX

I typically reserve H1 for the masthead, and H2 for titles, such as blog posts.

WordPress themes are a little funny, because there's some stuff that WordPress just does on its own. And sometimes I just go with what WordPress has already established as a pattern, which is partially an effort to preserve compatibility with plugins and such.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2015-06-05 16:27:42

john bishop images
Website

Re: H1, H2, etc and SEO/UX

Ahhh – I don't use a masthead so that would be why I'm not seeing one!

Board footer