Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-28 08:44:59

dsegar

Multi-line metadata layout issues.

I am steadily learning the ropes but have run into one thing I can not yet see where to go to find a way to fix it.

First, what I am trying to do is to update and replace an old site so I am looking for updated code and functionality but similar outputs on larger screens so you can see how things worked a decade ago at http://reefimages.com/Pipefish/Pipefish1.htm.  As you can see from that page I have scientific and common names that are lengthy chunks of text that, for my educational site purposes needs to all be placed next to each thumbnail.  I have reproduced much of the look of the ten year old site in gallery using a few bits of custom css, so I can wrap the text below the thumbnails with no problem.  However, I can not figure out how to prevent the extra line or lines of metadata text from kicking the first thumbnail of the next row across to the right. I have a sample test page (partial) as a screen shot at http://reefimages.com/Sample%20page.html.

I would prefer to have dynamic box sizing, as on my old site, so that the row size matches the maximum image height plus caption in each row of five images but I would be happy to have fixed sized image boxes as long as each row allows the necessary space to accommodate all the captions in the previous row.  Can this be done? If so, how do I go about trying to implement it?

#2 2015-04-28 09:50:33

rod barbee
Website

Re: Multi-line metadata layout issues.

You could try using Metadata1 for the common name (maybe use the caption field)
and Metadata 2 for the scientific name (perhaps using the title field)

I'm wondering if there's a custom css solution for increasing the height of the metadata area....

still if that height increased you'd then run the risk of running into float problems.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-04-28 10:42:26

dsegar

If you look at the screenshot, I have handled the long text by text wrapping.  That is not the problem.  The problem is, as you suggest, a float problem.  On my old site (which can not now be updated automatically due to the demise of a software program), the html did handle the float problem with no issues at all because the images and text were placed in an html table.  If there is not an easier way, the table approach is exactly what I will try to implement but it will be, for me, a long haul to edit the code so that I can still use publisher to generate the pages (about 250 thumbnail pages on my site at present and this will jump to perhaps 350 if I can get that done). 

BTW, I have already figured out how to replace the ttg gallery single image pages with cgi on-the fly built, text-file based pages, similar to the one I use for that purpose on reefimages (all my ca. 8,000 single image files, plus about ten cgi config files, plus only 20 text files that are output directly from my image database).

Last edited by dsegar (2015-04-28 10:44:13)

#4 2015-04-28 11:54:31

rod barbee
Website

if you plan to hack the plug-in to create a different layout, you'll just have to do it again when updates come out. Plus, we won't be able to offer much help on the forum if things go wrong.

My suggestion is to try to work within what the plug-ins are capable of and using custom css to change any design styling.

Also, long captions are visible on the large image presentations, so all your visitors need do is click on the thumbnail to see the full caption.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer