Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-18 18:24:58

4thdesign

Lightroom 6

Does anyone know or could tell me if new versions of TTG will be available soon after Lightroom 6 is released?

Thanks smile

#2 2015-04-18 23:09:04

rod barbee
Website

Re: Lightroom 6

no new version (like CE5), but Matt is always working on updates and improvements. You can look at the change logs to see what's coming.
But nothing specific to LR 6. (As far as I know)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-04-19 19:31:31

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Our CE4 plugins will be compatible with LR6.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2015-04-19 20:12:58

4thdesign

Matthew wrote:

Our CE4 plugins will be compatible with LR6.

Excellent, thats what I was hoping to hear without having to update CE4 :-)

#5 2015-04-22 02:49:20

stonerobertc

What about CE3 and Lightroom 6?

#6 2015-04-22 05:50:19

rod barbee
Website

it should work fine. I'll let you know once it's done downloading and I've installed LR CC wink

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-04-22 07:06:33

scott_walton

I'm very interested to know about LR 6 and CE 3 compatibility too. Thanks for testing and letting us know. Is this the thread to watch for that info? Thanks!

#8 2015-04-22 07:33:17

rod barbee
Website

as expected, it seems to work fine. And the web module loads things faster too! (about time)

It looks like all CE versions are compatible with Lightroom 6 (CE, CE2, CE3, CE4). But the pre-CE plug-ins don't seem to work. No big deal.

EDIT: it looks like Pages CE still works in LR6/CC. But Highslide CE and Autoindex CE and  CRG CE do not.

(on a Win 7 Pro machine)

not that it really matters at this point, but there are still folks using the older plugins. So this one's for you smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-04-22 08:28:55

scott_walton

Thanks Rod!

#10 2015-04-22 08:53:18

stonerobertc

Rod, Thanks for the response...but one additional question. If I download LR6, will I lose any CE3 templates, etc.? Do I have to reinstall CE3 plugins? How do I move from LR5 to LR6 with minimal disruption to the CE3 things I have setup in LR5?.

#11 2015-04-22 09:35:21

rod barbee
Website

no, you don't have to reinstall anything. your plug-ins and templates are in a common Lightroom folder and installing a new version doesn't overwrite that folder.

All you need to do is install LR6, open your existing LR 5 catalog, and it will update your LR5 catalog to be compatible with LR6, just like Lightroom upgrades have always done. Nothing of TTG will be disrupted, including Publisher.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-04-22 09:37:57

stonerobertc

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't recall anything major when I went from LR4 to LR5, but I couldn't recall the timing of my CE3 install in relation to my last major LR upgrades. That's great news.

#13 2015-04-22 19:09:06

Kris

Did they fix the bug that when one clicks on the 'Site Info', occasionally the web module appears to reset, losing the masthead and requiring a reload of the template?

Interested in CE3 functionality too.

#14 2015-04-22 19:44:02

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Thanks, Rod, for being so on top of this thread. The timezone worked against me for the LrCC/6 release, I've been out all day today, and now I'm working on a newsletter ...

To all, not much has changed about the Web module in LrCC/6. The Web preview is new and improved, there have been some bug fixes, and that's about it ... so we can expect everything that working in LR5 to continue working in LrCC/6. If you find something we've missed, let me know and we'll evaluate it for fixing.

Kris wrote:

Did they fix the bug that when one clicks on the 'Site Info', occasionally the web module appears to reset, losing the masthead and requiring a reload of the template?

I don't believe so, but I may be wrong. When this bug occurs, though, the change of identity plate registers as a step in history, so you can Undo (CMD-Z) to restore the identity plate, then move on. This bug tends to occur the first time you open the Site Info pane after launching Lightroom.

Matt

#15 2015-04-23 01:13:21

Kris

Really?  Happens much more often for me.  Maybe on in three times I click on it.  Forces me to save the template very often.  I didn’t know the undo reset the bug though.

If Adobe changed the facial recognition into QR/barcode recognition, and placed the resulting data into the caption field, then you wouldn’t believe how useful this would be for me. 

Anybody know if this is possible?

#16 2015-04-23 09:29:25

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Kris wrote:

Anybody know if this is possible?

No idea. I'm not even sure what purpose it would serve, so my lack of understanding is a pretty high wall in this regard. If anyone would know of a way to make such a thing happen, though, I reckon it would be Jeffrey Friedl.

Matt

#17 2015-04-25 05:19:00

Kris

Hia Matt. 

Automatically matching and syncing data to pictures is a huge software industry in its own right, believe me.

As a school photographer (though not solely), matching student IDs to their pictures makes everything so much easier and is vital to update student record databases with images of pupils.  But it's also very relevant to other sectors such as events and sports photographers.  Imagine if this data could be incorporated into TTG database search facility.... (Do we have a swoon smiley?)

Several pieces of commercial software is available, but most rely on the camera being permanently tethered to a laptop and using a barcode scanner to renames files as they come in.  This is a crap, restrictive system but is the one the vast majority of people use.  An example of this is the Australian Timestone software (http://timestonesoftware.com) which is very popular, but runs into the thousands of UK Pounds for a licence. 

An American photographer called Mike Fulton wrote a piece of software called fotovelocity.net which does exactly what I prefer - to photograph the pupil with a barcode somewhere in the image that later gets read by the software and data appended to the image.  This is slightly cheaper than Timestone, but still runs into the thousands and he not interested in dealing with anybody outside the US.   

sad

If Lightroom can read and guess faces to add naming data, then it must surely be an easy upgrade to read an easily scannable QR code?

Last edited by Kris (2015-04-25 05:20:09)

#18 2015-04-25 05:25:06

rod barbee
Website

then it must surely be an easy upgrade...

those words, no doubt, are the bane of nearly every software developer wink

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2015-04-25 08:31:38

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I think that's got "Adobe" written all over it. =P

Matt

#20 2015-04-25 09:03:23

rod barbee
Website

Or a nervous breakdown for Ben wink

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2015-04-25 10:28:30

Ben

I'd build it if we could charge similarly professional prices in the thousands.

#22 2015-04-25 20:03:23

Kris

Aww, go on, pretty please, sugar on top. 

Has to be relevant to more than just me, surely? 

Imagine all the events / dance meets / clubs / nurseries / schools / football photographers that would use this.  Admittedly, this is all volume 'hot-dog' photography and not the artistic side, but it puts a fairly nice roof over my head.

With schools I get a database beforehand, but for most events you don't need to know anything about the attendees to the event beforehand, as you just print out labels that have qr codes with sequenced numbers on them which the portrait subject (or their parents) then keep.  They then either visit a printing booth and type the code or take it home and type the code into their browsers and #kabam# up comes their images for purchase.  How they run it so that only the first image has the barcode visible yet all subsequent images retain the data from the first image until another barcode is detected I don't know.  I guess it must be that a numeric sequence must also be appended to the data from the barcode.

It's a wonderful system for photographers, which is why it costs megabucks.

I will admit though, that the commercial software tends to lab integrate as well, so there is more than just barcode reading.  Unfortunately, this ties you in to the system that your preferred lab uses, usually Timestone in the UK, and hence why people have to pay those silly license prices. 

If you need a sample image with a QR code in just let me know.

Last edited by Kris (2015-04-25 22:08:38)

#23 2015-04-26 00:51:28

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Given the amount of software we sell and what we charge for it, the amount of work would have to be put into such a feature doesn't even begin to justify itself, so no, it's not something we're going to be working on. You could try pressing Adobe for QR-to-metadata conversion, though. They've got the resources to make it happen and make enough money to justify the investment, if they choose to work on it.

Matt

#24 2015-04-26 06:36:54

Kris

That's okay.  I didn’t think so anyway.

It just seems that Adobe has already done the hard part with image scanning for facial recognition, and can't understand why they might leave out such a useful feature.  It has been requested before on their support forums, btw.

#25 2015-04-27 17:49:30

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The Lightroom team is comprised of photo enthusiasts who are programmers, not professional photographers. To put it somewhat generously, I think they are at times understandably out-of-touch with the photo professionals using their product. They also answer to a boardroom and a marketing department, so take that to mean whatever you think it means ... anyway, the facial recognition package is just that; it's not a generic scanning package for photographed subjects. It's built specifically for facial recognition, so I doubt it's tech that could be easily applied to QR codes. Finally, Adobe wants to sell as many CC subscriptions as possible, so they target features with the broadest market appeal, rather than niche features for niche needs. Still, keep banging on their door. Maybe they'll hear you someday.

Matt

Board footer