Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-23 20:25:13

pjotr

How do I lock the pictures in the webgallery?

Hello,

If anybody right click on the pictures in my webgalleries one can save the pictures to the computer, i.e. "steal" the picture if they want (and they do!). How do I prevent that to happen? Have I missed a check box or so?

Regards
Peter

#2 2015-03-23 20:50:51

Ben

Re: How do I lock the pictures in the webgallery?

Hi Peter, Matt has covered this here:
http://theturninggate.net/2011/12/disab … text-menu/

#3 2015-03-24 10:26:07

pjotr

Hi,

You write "In previous versions of my web engines, I have reluctantly included the option to disable the context menu as a checkbox feature..."     

I run v. 4.1.9. Is that the previous version you are talking about? If so: Is there a check box there to use?

Peter

#4 2015-03-24 10:41:18

rod barbee
Website

If I remember, that feature was included in pre-CE versions of the gallery plug-in (it's been a long time since it was included), so no, it's not available in your version.

If you really need it, then using phplugins is the only way.
Here's the latest script with a bonus fun option: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ntext_menu

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2015-03-24 10:57:21

pjotr

OK! Do I just copy the script, check the box "Enable PHPlugins" and paste the script below and hit Enter?

Peter

#6 2015-03-24 11:33:06

rod barbee
Website

No, read the phplugins documentation for how to enable site wide
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _phplugins

Then follow the tutorial for placing the script in the phplugins.php file

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-03-24 22:00:05

pjotr

Now I have tried to follow and do what you suggest but sorry to say, both the english language and the "language of web programming" does it really hard for me to follow and to succeed. I'm getting desperate so please help me with this, more "hands on". I have checked the "Enable PHPlugins" and exported a test gallery. Earlier (before PHP) it would look like this: http://www.mydomain.se/gal/testgallery/ and I uploaded the folder called "testgalleri" to the folder "gall" (gallery) on my website.
With this in mind, how do I perform to upload and name the PHP-gallery? Step by step please.
Regards
Peter

#8 2015-03-24 22:20:12

rod barbee
Website

is your site really at mydomain.se?

anyway...

to set up for phplugins for site-wide use:

• enable phplugins in any ttg web engine.

• Export

• upload the exported phplugins/ folder to the root of your site: www.yoursite.com/phplugins/  (change yoursite.com to the actual address of your site)

• your browser will return a string of characters. this is the server path to phplugins. Copy this.

• In all of your galleries, enter that path into the "server path to phplugins" field. You'll need to re-export and upload.

(there are screen shots in the documentation here)

Next...

• Using a plain text editor, open the exported phplugins.php file from earlier.

• Edit that file, adding the code as outlined in the tutorial.

• save the file and upload it to your site, overwriting the phplugins.php file that already exists at yoursite.com/phplugins/phplugins.php

or....

just make sure your images are watermarked and you register your copyrights. Because anyone determined to steal your pictures will not be stopped by a right-click disable script.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-03-25 02:42:59

pjotr

Almost there!

I followed your instructions and right-clicked on the web-gallery image and could read your nasty message. Of course with such communications you will never get a new customer so I tried to insert a more polite message with the suggestion that they should contact the photographer by mail together with some suggested prices. And uploaded the phplugins.php file again. – But this time I only got the usual right-click-menue! Tried once more but with the same result.

What am I doing wrong??? I really was that close!

Regards
Peter

#10 2015-03-25 04:24:44

rod barbee
Website

I don't know. Chances are that you did something wrong when changing the message in the file. One little syntax error  like adding an apostrophe or not closing a parentheses can make it so the script doesn't run.

If you want to post that section of the file here, someone can take a look.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2015-03-25 04:39:15

pjotr

This is the text I tried to use: Hej, vill du köpa en bild går det bra. Kontakta mig på peter@nerstrom.se . Pris: För företag 250 kr + moms. Privat bruk: 250 kr inkl. moms.
If you please could insert my text into the phplugins.php file and send the new file to me I would be more than thankful. Maybe the Swedish dots over o and a is not allowed - just take them away. People will understand anyway.

Regards
Peter

#12 2015-03-25 05:04:15

rod barbee
Website

it depends on how you inserted it. Just post the entire function. I'm by no means an expert but I can probably spot problems. If not me, then someone else may be able to.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2015-03-25 21:24:49

pjotr

I finally made it! Look here: http://www.nerstrom.se/brollopsmassan2015/ It's a wedding exhibition on an old fortress near by Stockholm. Test a right-click on a large picture.
The thing is that I now, in a very polite way, can offer people to by pictures instead of stealing them. FaceBook is a disaster for the respect for photographers rights so when they see a picture they want - they just take it without hesitation, publish it without photobyline. That makes me pi**ed! The right-click message says: Hi, if you want to by a picture it's OK. Just contact me on peter@******.se And after that, the offered price.
Thank's for all you help! And a tip: Don't call people thieves. It's much better to be friendly and polite. The youngsters just don't understand that photographer has all the rights to his/hers pictures. So give them an good offer instead of a slap.
Best regards/Peter

#14 2015-03-25 22:33:29

rod barbee
Website

And a tip: Don't call people thieves.

well, that wasn't me. I didn't write the documentation. I don't have any official connection to ttg, as noted in my signature.

besides, it's meant to be humorous and to make a point. And as you discovered, it's easy to replace.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2015-03-25 22:38:57

pjotr

Sorry Rod, it wasn't meant for you. I meant the creator of that nasty message - whoever it is. You have been most helpful and I appreciate that a lot! Thank you!

Best regards
Peter

#16 2015-03-25 22:46:41

rod barbee
Website

Like I said, It's meant to be humorous (and I think it's rather funny). If anybody actually includes that language in their message that's their own responsibility.

And as Matt has pointed out elsewhere, if someone wants to steal your pictures, they're going to do it. It's as simple as using screen capture.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2015-03-26 09:09:54

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Tangentially related to the conversation at hand, my discussion of watermarks:
http://theturninggate.net/2014/02/on-wa … image-use/

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer