Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-12 21:27:51

Kris

PHPMail not working all of a sudden...

Hello all.

Maybe a 'heads up' for us UK boys and girls....

Recently had a customer tell me that they are not receiving their email order confirmations and I'm not receiving my 'new order' emails.

Investigating, it appears that almost all UK hosting companies are removing phpmail() function from their hosting packages.  Grrr.  So far had a very long morning trying to get smtp mail settings working with CE3 cart and with my google apps for business account and also a local mail account at my hosting, all to no avail so far.

Apparently, Google no longer allow smtp mail forwarding for grandfathered apps accounts.  Grrrrr.

So...

- I upgrade to their free 30 day trial account for full google apps to see if that rectifies, it doesn't.

- Try a local mail using my host and a no-reply@my-dormant-domain-name.com for mail authentication and it still aint working.  More Grrr.  EDIT - this aint working because it is refusing the cart 'from' email address as being a non local email address.  I have three different carts/domains for different parts of the business and would prefer the 'from' to be the one the customers is using. 

Yet the mail from CE3 pages works perfectly.

Shall struggle on, unless anybody can think of a better solution.

Below is their email about the removal of phpmail()...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Kristian,

As standard among UK hosts, we have implemented additional security measures against outgoing spam on our hosting servers, which involved a change in the mail server's configuration. In particular, it's not possible to send mail from the default email accounts and from non-existent accounts (using the simple mail function) anymore and the scripts are required to use proper SMTP authentication. This was done due to constant abuse of the mail function by various spambot scripts and other malware uploaded through outdated customer websites.

In order to resolve the issue, you need to use SMTP as the email sending method and to include SMTP authentication in your script. For authentication, you need to use a valid email address created in cPanel >> Email Accounts and its respective password. Please make sure that your script's settings meet these requirements and try sending mail again, it should work. 

Last edited by Kris (2015-03-12 21:42:11)

#2 2015-03-12 22:04:41

Ben

Re: PHPMail not working all of a sudden...

Hi Kris, it sounds like your host is suggesting you use the SMTP service that they provide to you as a customer.  This may be the same SMTP details that your host gives you for setting up external email clients (e.g. Outlook or Thunderbird), perhaps with a different SMTP hostname intended to be used internally within or between their servers.

#3 2015-03-12 22:37:31

Kris

Re: PHPMail not working all of a sudden...

They are indeed. 

Unfortunately, it looks like no host (in the UK at least) is allowing the use of phpmail() any more. If they had warned me that this was the case, I could have acted sooner.

As a test, I have set up an smtp account and mail address (using a dormant domain name) using my hosts local smtp settings, and it does work and mails get authenticated and sent from the cart as expected.

Unfortunately, the local server is refusing to allow the from address (the vendor email in the cart settings) to be anything apart from a locally hosted email account - i.e. it has to be the dormant domain name. 

This is no good because if a customer replies to an order confirmation, it's getting sent back to the dormant account and I'm not going to receive it.

If I was using my local hosts email for everything, this wouldn't be a problem. But I use google apps for business for the various sections of the business. 

I'll dive into using google apps for business smtp settings this afternoon.  Unfortunately, they don't allow the old, free, grandfathered in accounts to be used as smtp forwarding relays.  So I have to spend - but it's only about four quid a month though.

Last edited by Kris (2015-03-12 22:37:40)

Board footer