Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-07 05:07:51

scottfrey

Best practices for upgrading from CE3 to CE4

I am currently using Pages, Publisher,Stage and Autoindex. on CE3

I've purchased and will be upgrading all those, and some time in the future, moving to Wordpress for most of Pages functionality, but not yet.

Also, I have three instances of CE3 Publisher pointing at three different top level directories (Portfolio, Collections, NSFW (which is a separate Lightroom catalog))

What is the best order to do all this in?

I've made a new gallery template, and installed publisher (in the Docs, I am to the point that I run the upgrade tool). I assume I should setup Autoindex in my top level folders (before running the upgrade tool), then promptly run the upgrade tool. How does the upgrade tool deal with multiple instances? Do I just run it once for each instance?

Instead, should I setup and export Pages first? (which would install auto index)

The upgrade instructions could be a little more clear on best practices

#2 2015-03-07 08:28:21

rod barbee
Website

Re: Best practices for upgrading from CE3 to CE4

Best practices is pretty subjective.

you'll need to update each instance separately. the migration tool requires you to select a source and destination Publisher instance

the ttg-be/ folder and your existing CE3 publisher/ folder need to be at the same server level

both your old CE3 Publisher instance and the new CE4 Publisher instance must have the same target for top level galleries folder.

When I went through my CE3 -> CE4 transition, I first developed the new CE4 site in a sub-domain. Once I was happy with style and function I deleted all the old CE3 Pages files in the root except for the galleries/ folder and uploaded the CE4 Pages files and folders (except galleries/) along with ttg-be, publisher, and my new album and album set templates. I may have had those assets in place first. It really doesn't matter though.

After all that was in place I ran the CE3 to CE4 Publisher migration tool.

Since I created new publisher templates with new names I needed to go through each album and album set in Publisher and assign the new templates. But that only took a few minutes. It all went very smoothly.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-03-07 08:35:22

scottfrey

you'll need to update each instance separately. the migration tool requires you to select a source and destination Publisher instance

So I will need to set up the three new instances of CE4 first. Then just migrate each instance as a separate task.

When I went through my CE3 -> CE4 transition, I first developed the new CE4 site in a sub-domain. .....

After all that was in place I ran the CE3 to CE4 Publisher migration tool.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I'll stick with a path that works.

Since I created new publisher templates with new names I needed to go through each album and album set in Publisher and assign the new templates. But that only took a few minutes. It all went very smoothly.

I really can't see a way around that. Unless you had named your templates something really generic. Which seems rather problematic.

#4 2015-03-07 08:41:50

rod barbee
Website

Yeah. My template names included the CE version of whatever it was.

But I don't have dozens and dozens of albums like, say, event or wedding photographers might, so changing the templates wasn't really a hassle for me.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer