Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-02 20:21:10

MartinS
Website

General error: 5 database is locked

Is this something I can fix or is it a problem with my host? Yesterday no problems with Publisher activities; today I am unable to do anything in the way of adding images, deleting images, editing albums etc. I tried removing a few images from a new album within phplite (to remove the whole small album and its contents to see if that would help) but even phplite gives the same error message when I click "confirm" to delete selected images:

Error: database is locked.
This may be a bug that needs to be reported at code.google.com/p/phpliteadmin/issues/list

Each attempt to use Publisher within LR results in lengthy error messages which I cannot cut and paste, but only copy as a screendump, such as

Can't update this collection.
An internal error has occurred: JSON.lua:458: JSON.lus:197 can't parse JSON at char 1 of: SQLstate[HY000]: General error: 5 database is locked
sql:
ÍNSERT INTO `photo`etc etc

#2 2015-03-02 20:55:00

Ben

Re: General error: 5 database is locked

Hi Martin, another TTG customer had a similar issue last year.  The solution is outlined in this post: http://community.theturninggate.net/post/25519/#p25519

More specifically, try the following:

Step 0) Make a copy of ttg-be/data/publisher/master.sq3 to your local PC.  This is a very important file, holding all the data that Publisher needs to function.  Making a backup to your PC is an extra step of precaution in case something goes amiss with the next steps
1) Copy the file ttg-be/data/publisher/master.sq3 to something like ttg-be/data/publisher/master-copy.sq3
2) Rename ttg-be/data/publisher/master.sq3 to something like ttg-be/data/publisher/master-moved.sq3
3) Rename the copied file from step one to master.sq3

Please let us know whether that solves the locking problem for you.

#3 2015-03-03 01:42:23

MartinS
Website

Hello Ben. Thanks for your suggestions.

My FTP software or my host will not allow me to copy a file within a folder; I can find an FTP command for move etc but not for copy. However, I copied the master.sq3 to my local pc, duplicated it there with a new name, loaded it to the server and renamed it to master.sq3 after first having renamed the old master.sq3 to master-upto2015-03-02.sq3.  I assume this has the same effect as defragmenting a file on a local disk.

It seemed (note the past tense) to solve the problem as I was able to delete and add images with Publisher again as usual.... for about 100 images, then the system ground to a halt gradually, eventually producing a similar error 5 (database locked) message in Lightroom to that which I mentioned earlier.

However, during the time in which it has taken me to write this, LR and/or master.sq3 seems to have sorted out its bottleneck, and happily accepts the publishing of more images.... or so I thought; it started off quite merrily but took about 30 minutes to publish 10 images.

Just for the record, I optimize my LR catalogs daily when backing them up.

Is it possible that the host cannot keep up with the speed of LR output when it is updating master.sq3? My master.sq3 is a huge file of 60MB.  The gallery web-page generation does not suffer, however, and my site has never operated more smoothly than it does at present.

In the meanwhile, I have also written to my host provider asking if they can check the file at their end as to why it is so difficult to write to. Perhaps they can find something. If only there were some dos command like chkdsk for this!

#4 2015-03-03 05:44:15

Ben

Hi Martin, thanks for the further info.  That is a pretty huge file.  Can you zip your local copy of the file and email it to me?  (using the Email link under my picture).  I'll then look into what is making the file so large and see if there's a good way to make it smaller.
If the file is still huge after zipping, could you upload the zip to your server and provide the link via email?

I'm wondering if the database files increase in size over time as they keep old versions of the data.  Thinking aloud, it may be possible to run queries on the database and exporting all of the data into a clean database file.  This would be akin to copying and pasting from an old Word doc to a new Word doc, which can greatly reduce the file size of the doc.

There may be ways of running command line tools.  Who are you hosting with?  I'm with Bluehost and have full command line access.

Board footer