Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-27 21:55:14

kishw

my Website created with CE4 now up and running

Hi, having struggled with some of the complexities of CE4 and understanding of website construction I have finally managed to create and get a website up and running www.kishwphotos.co.uk it would be nice to get some feedback on the structure the sight as I am sure there are some issues that I have yet to detect.

regards
Kish Woolmore
London, UK

#2 2015-02-27 23:27:55

rod barbee
Website

Re: my Website created with CE4 now up and running

Hi Kish,

a couple of observations. The index on your clients page doesn't match the styling of the index on your galleries page. Didn't know if this was intentional.
Also check your spelling on your Galleries page as well as some of the albums' Titles and Descriptions:

Buildings and Sculptures
Glamour
Panoramas
Insects

I'd also suggest setting the core of t least the block areas of your pages to a smaller fixed width. Text that spreads all the way across the page doesn't make for easy reading, especially on larger monitors. So for at least the text blocks, I'd recommend setting your core width to a fixed amount like 1140px or even 960px if the only thing on the page is text.
Also try using the text sidebars; they can really help in organizing text and making things look better.

If you want more text columns, see this: http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … _framework

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-02-27 23:28:12

markh
Website

I like it, and am quite taken by the color scheme, although, as in all matters of personal taste, I have no idea why I'm drawn to it. Your logo is especially cool.
Regards, Mark

#4 2015-02-28 00:29:08

kishw

Hi Rod,
Thanks for the feedback
Always get some spelling errors sneak in, shouldn't be a problem to change them.

But I have struggled to get the index styles to match, I believe I tried copying the template data between the two but it seemed to fail  to produce the correct results. Can you please explain the easiest method to get styles to match.

I also noticed that when I click on one of the galleries the style changes, this is something else I couldn't get to change to what I expected.

I assume the index's are built in Autoindex ? I think I had problem trying to get the text and thumbnails to be laid out the way I wanted - is it possible to have more than two columns and have text beneath the thumbnail.

With overall style is it correct I should get it complete and as required within one plugin module first then copy to other plugin templates ? Is there a preferred order for creating the templates ?

TIA
Kish Woolmore
London, UK
www.kishwphotos.co.uk

#5 2015-02-28 01:17:51

rod barbee
Website

With overall style is it correct I should get it complete and as required within one plugin module first then copy to other plugin templates ? Is there a preferred order for creating the templates ?

In an ideal world smile I usually work that way but I always forget something.
Realize that all the styling you need may not be applied. For example, CE4 Autoindex doesn't have any styling for the CE4 Gallery grid. So you'll have to make those settings manually.

I assume the index's are built in Autoindex ? I think I had problem trying to get the text and thumbnails to be laid out the way I wanted - is it possible to have more than two columns and have text beneath the thumbnail.

you can set the number of columns in Appearance > the Auto Index. Select the index type (you're using descriptive) and set Album Columns to what you want (1-4)

Can you be more specific about the text? Did you want additional text below the index grid? Not possible in the plug-ins (but possible with phplugins)
Or if you want text below a thumbnail, try the Iconic layout.

I also noticed that when I click on one of the galleries the style changes, this is something else I couldn't get to change to what I expected.

you've got a different page background color set for your galleries

But I have struggled to get the index styles to match, I believe I tried copying the template data between the two but it seemed to fail  to produce the correct results. Can you please explain the easiest method to get styles to match.

This is the easiest way: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _templates
Once you've created, modified, and saved the templates you'll need to restart Lightroom. When you go back to the web module, be sure to click on the templates you just made, otherwise the settings won't be applied.

For the Galleries page albums, you have no background color or background:hover color set (Appearance > the AutoIndex ) but in your Clients page autoindex you do. Just match those up if you want the pages to be consistent.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2015-02-28 16:00:49

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hi Kish,

Mostly nice, and I especially like the aviation photography.

You've got a problem with file names, though, that sometimes causes the slideshow to break. You need to avoid special characters in file names: no parentheses, no spaces, no punctuation. The only things permitted are letters, numbers, hyphens and underscores. I've written at length about good file naming:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ile_naming

Unfortunately, fixing your site will require re-publishing all of your images with good file names.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2015-02-28 21:49:51

kishw

Hi Mathew,
Thanks for the feedback
I think the slideshows was one of the issues that was causing me some confusion in that once in a while I couldn't get a response from clicking on any of the navigation buttons.

With the renaming the files can you just confirm I need to do this within the LR folders panel - most of the file names I believe are the names automatically generated by my camera. The ones that probably causing issue are taken from scanned images or edited copies of originals. The thing I should know better because I come from the days of when file names were limited to 8.3 characters, but with latest versions of MS software I think I have fallen into the lazy trap of naming files that look good in normal English.

TIA
Kish Woolmore
London, UK
www.kishwphotos.co.uk

#8 2015-03-01 00:58:59

rod barbee
Website

With the renaming the files can you just confirm I need to do this within the LR folders panel

Rename in the Library module (from the Menu go to Library > Rename Photos). Create a file naming preset and apply it to any files that need renaming.

for the future, you can set up Lightroom to treat certain characters as "illegal" and change them to dashes or underscores. Look in Lightroom Preferences > File Handling

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-03-02 20:09:01

kishw

I have updated the index pages to get constant styling across the site. I changed to Iconic layout and now have an issue that some of the thumbnails do not display. It appears to be random to which ones do not display so is not consistent, is this likely to be because I haven't renamed all of the images with suitable filenames yet or is there some other setting/issue I have ignored ?

Regards
Kish Woolmore
London, UK
www.kishwphotos.co.uk

#10 2015-03-02 22:18:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Probably the file names.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#11 2015-03-02 22:50:15

rod barbee
Website

the index pulls thumbnails at random from the galleries. The blank thumbnails are a result of trying to use thumbnails with parentheses in the file name.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer