Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-05 00:28:18

gaufde
Website

Various Problems on Mobile Devices

Hi,
I was just checking out my site on an android phone to make sure that everything looked good. For the most part, everything was fine, but I noticed three problems. The first is that swiping wasn't working in the large image presentation, the second was that the buttons to share an image via mail isn't inserting the link into the email, and lastly the search isn't working well. I have the most recent version of all my plugins. To fix my swiping problem I tried switing my large image presentation for mobile to the touch option instead of magnific popup. However, this introduced all sorts of weird problems that made icons appear before the grid in a gallery and then disappear, plus it made the menu system stop responding, so I have gone back to the magnific popup. I haven't been able to find anything about the share buttons, and for the search issue I looked here on the forum for fixes. I found this thread: http://community.theturninggate.net/post/26392/#p26392. This works for the most part, but when all the thumbnails come up on the page the large image presentation doesn't work properly. The site is http://photography.gracesonaufderheide.com/
Anyone have ideas?
Thanks,
Graceson

Last edited by gaufde (2015-02-05 03:13:17)

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#2 2015-02-05 00:51:43

rod barbee
Website

Re: Various Problems on Mobile Devices

Hey Graceson,

the Android OS and browser you're using can have a lot to do with how your site works.
Is it an older OS?
It would help Matt if you could provide device details

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-02-05 01:38:03

gaufde
Website

The browser is chrome, and the Android OS is 4.4.4. I don't know too much about the phone or Android because it isn't my device.

Last edited by gaufde (2015-02-05 01:38:35)

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#4 2015-02-05 07:50:51

gaufde
Website

I just tried playing around with the site a little more and I wanted to update you all. Right now I have gone to the touch display for mobile versions so that you all can see the weird thing that happens with the icons. I have also implemented the code that is supposed to fix the search feature. The funny thing, though, is that there are more bugs on photography.gracesonaufderheide.com than there are on goldsmith.gracesonaufderheide.com.
Graceson

Last edited by gaufde (2015-02-05 07:51:04)

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#5 2015-02-05 08:17:55

rod barbee
Website

Hi Graceson,

I don't have an Android phone, but I can tell you that it all looks pretty good on my iPhone 6. I really like your design.

I can't see any weirdness happening.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2015-02-05 09:31:18

gaufde
Website

Hi Rod,
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. I'm glad that it works on the iPhone, but it is strange what is happening on the android. I will try and play with it a bit more to see if I can get it to work, or maybe someone else who has an android can take a look. On your iPhone, are the sharing buttons working properly inside the touch popup?

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#7 2015-02-05 09:34:29

rod barbee
Website

I only tried the email sharing button and it worked perfectly.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2015-02-05 11:41:01

kmlucy
Website

I can confirm that I am having the same issue with my site (kylelucy.com) regarding the email share link on android.

Last edited by kmlucy (2015-02-05 11:41:21)

Kyle Lucy Photography
kylelucy.com

#9 2015-02-05 12:00:42

gaufde
Website

I got someone to try everything out on an iPhone for me and the email link worked for them too. I also got ahold of the android device that I was borrowing to check the site again. All of the issues except the email link seem to be magically resolved, but it would be great if someone else could verify this for me just to make sure. Also, thanks Kyle for verifying the email problem.

Last edited by gaufde (2015-02-05 12:01:19)

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#10 2015-02-05 13:51:38

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Magnific does not support swipe or other touch gestures, intentionally. It's meant to work without a lot of fuss, and in the event that gesture support goes wonky or inconsistent on devices, as happened when Photoswipe 3 support was ceased and new devices and browsers rolled out that didn't like it, or when touch bugs slipped into Android/Chrome and shat the party.

mailto: support is browser dependent, and browsers have been inconsistent in how they handle these links for years. We've aimed to cast the widest possible net. Blame Android.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#11 2015-02-05 20:01:07

Ben

This should be the cause of the email issue: https://code.google.com/p/android/issue … l?id=63538

A persistent bug in Android, that has been affecting users for over a year.  It's probably worth reading through the comments to see if there's a suitable way to solve this by updating your browser and/or email client.

#12 2015-02-05 21:23:17

rod barbee
Website

Also try different browsers. Though you can't control what browsers other visitors use, at least you may find one that works better that you could recommend to them.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2015-02-10 04:55:06

gaufde
Website

Well, it looks like the really weird problems have gone away which is great. I hope that android fixes their mail bug, but I'm not so worried about that now because it works on all the other devices I've tried.

Graceson Aufderheide
gracesonaufderheide.com

#14 2015-02-10 16:05:50

MartinS
Website

Just lately I have been seeing a strange display of my published galleries on Android devices. I do not have an iPhone to test on, but both my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and my Galaxy Note II smartphone, running Android 4.4.2, currently do not display any published gallery correctly any more. Each image in the gallery is truncated horizontally while loading on the page. Loading is slow, and often ceases after about a quarter of the image appears; not always, but mostly. It is sometimes impossible to proceed to the next image, and only the BACK button works, and even that not always. Display is erratic at best. This happens on  galleries which I created this week and those I created ages ago. Has anyone else such problems with Android devices? The last time I checked a few weeks ago, everything displayed fine. Since a lot of my market will be teenagers on their smartphone, I want to get this working. Perhaps an Android O.S. update is to blame?

Here is a purely sample gallery: http://www.martinsharrott.com/galleries … aagbokaal/

Board footer