Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-05 06:14:51

rsamco
Website

Site-wide mastheads?

How can I have the masthead(s) set up in WordPress be used site-wide, like is done for navigation/menus (with custom phplugins)? To wit, I'd like to have the masthead graphic set up in WordPress also apply to non-WordPress managed pages like /galleries/ and /search/ (managed by Publisher). I really don't want to go to the pain of having to minutely manage my masthead size in 2 (or more) places so that there aren't subtle differences when different website pages are displayed.

Also, I am finding that my default WordPress masthead graphic (as set up in WP's theme's settings) needs to be 1100 pixels wide to fully fill the width of my WordPress site on desktops (non-retina). This is contrary to Matt's advice of not having the width be larger than 960. What gives?

TIA!

Rick

#2 2015-02-05 06:46:49

rod barbee
Website

Re: Site-wide mastheads?

If you know enough php I'm guessing you could port the masthead set up in WordPress to the rest of your site. But there's an easier way.
You could use phplugins to create dynamic mastheads that would be applied site wide (even to your blog).
Here's the CE3 tutorial on that: http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … _mastheads
And my CE4 update: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … heads-ce4/

Widths of 960 px went out long ago when wider monitors got more common. Could be you're reading old advice?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-02-05 06:55:32

rsamco
Website

Thanks, Rod. Actually I already had dynamic mastheads fully working in autoindex, gallery & search. But when I then "turned on" WordPress its pages/blog didn't inherit any of it. So I guess that my question really is: how do I get WordPress to use my CE4 dynamic mastheads?

Last edited by rsamco (2015-02-05 06:56:28)

Rick

#4 2015-02-05 07:47:04

rod barbee
Website

did you enable phplugins in Theme for WordPress?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-02-05 08:44:33

rsamco
Website

Ummm, no -- I didn't see that in the WordPress Theme documentation nor did I run across it while configuring WordPress. I still can't find it; e.g., it's not in the WordPress' Theme options.

BTW, the 960 pixel width masthead default width is in the most recent CE4 documentation: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … me_options .

Rick

#6 2015-02-05 09:02:26

rsamco
Website

Oh, you probably mean within Lr -- yes, in the Theme for WordPress template, phplugins is enabled and path is same as used in autoindex and gallery (which is working for those templates).

Rick

#7 2015-02-05 09:04:12

rod barbee
Website

that should do it I would think.

might help if you posted link to your site then.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2015-02-05 09:35:38

rsamco
Website

http://rick.samcos.com

Rod, you no doubt know this, but dynamic mastheads is implemented in custom.css -- so maybe I have to put it somewhere other than /phplugins/css/custom.css for WordPress to see?

Rick

#9 2015-02-05 10:17:32

rod barbee
Website

I'm not sure what the problem is. Your home page, blog, About, and Contact pages are WordPress pages, and are getting the dynamic masthead through the custom css, just like your Galleries page and the album sets and albums. I don't see a difference between the WordPress generated pages and the TTG generated pages.

your masthead image is very nice, by the way

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2015-02-06 03:59:07

rsamco
Website

Ummmm, you're right, Rod. Right after I reported this "problem" I found that some of my dynamic masthead display size breakpoints in my custom.css file weren't working within Publisher managed albums/sets, so I reverted back to an earlier version. That fixed the size breakpoint problems, and must have fixed WordPress's use of that custom.css file as well. I now suspect that I had a syntax error in my custom.css which caused WordPress to abort its interpretation and fall back to the dynamic masthead imaging that I had set up within WP itself.

Bottomline, sorry to have bothered you with this ... and onward!

Rick

Board footer