Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-02 07:32:45

hjrw

Using WordPress as blog with CE4 Pages as the main site

I am trying to set up a WordPress blog using CE4 WordPress Plugin, Pages, Publisher, etc.  I have installed WordPress in the blog folder of my site.  I have created a basic WordPress template in Lightroom.  I have hacked the info from my other templates into this WordPress template and uploaded and activated it.

I was hoping to design a very simple blog from within TTG/Lightroom, but there is no place to enter text or any other customization.

All I want is a simple introductory paragraph on the page followed by the posts.  I couldn't figure out how to do it from any documentation that I could find.  I could create a static front page with a button that took me to a Blog page located at blog/blog.  I can see a post, but there is no box to add additional posts. 

I tried to recreate my TTG menu and replace "Blog" with something like "Comments," but my navigation pane is centered and I was unable to center the WordPress menu that appears in the Navigation block (if I select that option).  That's why I created the button for posts (noted above).

When logged in as the administrator, I see a black menu bar at the top of the browser screen that allows me to add a post.  When I log out of admin, the bar is gone, so that a general visitor has no way to add a post.  If one clicks the # of comments link at the end of the one post that is showing, it brings up the posting box, but that is pretty obtuse and does not allow for a post that is not related to the one that is visible.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

#2 2015-02-02 07:54:29

rod barbee
Website

Re: Using WordPress as blog with CE4 Pages as the main site

I was hoping to design a very simple blog from within TTG/Lightroom, but there is no place to enter text or any other customization.

All text is added in WordPress. Just add a post and start writing.

General visitors cannot add posts, you don't want the general public to have access to you Admin area.
General visitors can comment on your posts though. And you can control whether their comments show up immediately or if they need approval from you.

You might want to search the web for articles or ebooks on the basics of using WordPress.

I'm not sure why you want a link named "Comment". Just keep the link as "blog" and let visitors comment on your blog posts

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-02-02 13:23:32

hjrw

I really just wanted it as a Q&A forum.  So my best bet is just to not use a static page... but is it possible to provide some instructions on the page?  Or am I the only one that doesn't know how to use a blog!

#4 2015-02-02 13:44:52

hjrw

When I set up a page to show only posts (not a static page) there is no way for anyone to post anything.  Here is the page:

blogpage.jpg

When I log in as admin, a menu appears at the top with a + item to add new posts.  The general user sees nothing.  That is what I am trying to accomplish - allowing a user to post something.

#5 2015-02-02 15:16:40

rod barbee
Website

But that's not how WordPress works. Others are not supposed to post to you're blog. They're supposed to comment on what you post.

Users can click on the heading of the post to read the whole thing or they can click on the link ("2 comments") and see the post and comments. There will be a place for them to add their own comments.

The blog page contains no static text, it's a listing of blog posts. You make posts, and people comment on them.
I suppose if you want some sort of instructions for people about posting, you could put that in a text widget in a sidebar.

Take a look at the blog page for the TTG site. It's a series of posts, some with comments. That's what a blog is.

You can include images in a post and invite people to comment. You can write a quick how to. You can write a post about a special even. And people can comment on those.

If you want a forum on your site (like this forum) that will require special software and presumably special set up.

When I log in as admin, a menu appears at the top with a + item to add new posts.  The general user sees nothing.  That is what I am trying to accomplish - allowing a user to post something.

That's not how it works. Again, you don't want general users access to the back end. You can create users and assign them roles (like Author) that will give them posting privileges, but you'll need to go through the process of creating the User and assigning usernames and passwords. I'm guessing that's not what you want.

The way a general user "posts" something is by commenting on your own blog posts.

If you want people to be able to post questions, like on this forum, you'll need forum software.

there are WordPress plug-ins for that: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/5-bes … wordpress/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2015-02-02 17:29:11

hjrw

Thanks!  I think I have solved the issue... I posted a welcome message to the blog, then in addition to clicking on the title or the comments link, I added a post comment button which has the same link as the title or comments link.  That seems to work.

Board footer