Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-27 06:20:45

awjensen

Advice on best method of selling images

I have a friend who is a guide / wildlife photographer / image vendor. I have volunteered to help him improve his sales of images. Currently he makes images available on his web site. A client then selects an image and then my friend will edit and print the selected image. Sometimes he will send the edited image file to the purchaser.

I would appreciate any advice anyone might have on the following:
1 - other than cost aspects,  what are the pros and cons of printing images and sending them to the purchaser?
2 - what suggestions for promoting a photography web site?
3 - is there a site or sites that I must go to to get information on selling images?

I know this forum is not really the place for these question but as a User of Matts fabulous plugins, I thought it best to start here. Thanks for spending your time reading / responding to this.

Of course I will be recommending that he buy the CE 4 suite of products.

#2 2015-01-28 12:19:27

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Advice on best method of selling images

If I'm not mistaken, this is a fulfillment question. And how best of manage fulfillment is really a matter of preference. If I were shooting event images and making them available to attendees, I probably would not want to spent the time personally printing and shipping each image, and so I might setup using a print-and-ship service such as Fotomoto.com (supported by CE4 Gallery, btw). On the other hand, if I were selling fine art prints, then I might want to be more hands on with the process, choosing the right paper, mounting, verifying color, etc., and so would print on my own equipment or via a trusted lab. For something in between, you might see what services are offered by Bay Photo or Mpix.

Strictly in terms of pros and cons, I'd say it's a matter of time spent vs. quality assurance.

Social media is the thing these days. A blog will help you to get found, and a regular stream of fresh content (at least two posts per month) should keep search engines and visitors fairly well interested. The blog should push posts to Facebook and Twitter, at least. Maybe also to Google Plus and elsewhere. There are WordPress plugins can handle this for you. Setup a page for your business on Facebook book and get your friends and followers to "Like" it. Maybe join some photo communities are your preferred social networks to interact with peers.

Not really. You can sell from your own site using our plugins (CE4 Gallery for Fotomoto, or CE4 Gallery + CE4 Cart for self-managed sales), or you can setup on third-party sites such as Zenfolio, Smugmug, etc. It's really up to you which venue to use, or which thing will best suit your needs.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer