Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-16 09:33:13

hjrw

Convert "Gallery" to "AutoIndex"

I am not sure if I need to do this, but...

I am moving from CE3 to CE4.  I have recreated my "Pages," and set up two instances of "Publisher."  (I have replaced the "Services" menu item in Pages with "Clubs" and created a  "clubs" folder at the same level as "galleries" - the same structure I used in CE3.)  The basic navigation appears to work.  My overall data structure is:

clubs
   gallery clubs 1
galleries
   autoindex gallery 1
   autoindex gallery 2
   etc

My intent was to make "gallery clubs 1" (and subsequent ones) autoindex galleries.  I created a standard gallery instead.  I attempted to use the "hack" and copy the style section of the gallery that I created into a new autoindex template, but my photos were not displayed as they are in the regular gallery that I created initially.

Two questions...

(1) If I have numerous galleries within my "galleries" and "clubs" folders, I assume that I should set each up as am autoindex.  True?

(2) If (1) is true, is there any way to copy the gallery setup from a gallery to an autoindex?

Am I making this too complicated?

What I am trying to do is have a "galleries" folder containing several galleries, and a "clubs" folder containing several galleries.  I would like the "Galleries" page to automatically reflect the galleries that I load into subfolders under "galleries" and the same for the "Clubs" page.

My CE3 website (blog and cart are not functional) is www.photographs-now.com and my temporary domain for the CE4 website is www.rt-66.com.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  It's been a couple of years since I created the CE3 website and am still learning the CE4 dialogs.

-Herschel

#2 2015-01-16 09:48:55

rod barbee
Website

Re: Convert "Gallery" to "AutoIndex"

Autoindexes don't display images, only galleries will do that (autoindex shows thumbnails representations of your image galleries)

(1) If I have numerous galleries within my "galleries" and "clubs" folders, I assume that I should set each up as am autoindex.  True?

If you mean set up your "galleries" and "clubs" folders as autoindexes, then yes.
But you won't want to convert actual galleries into autoindexes. That won't do you any good.

You may be making this too complicated wink

Pages already has a galleries folder tied to the Galleries page. This is already an autoindex. Use that for your regular albums. No extra work needed.

Create an autoindex named "clubs" and upload it to the root of your site. You've already set up one Publisher instance to target "clubs" so you'll already be set to start creating albums in the "clubs" folder.

this post might help further: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … enu-items/

To make your new Clubs page match the styling of the rest of the site, just copy the template settings from pages into a template you've made for Clubs:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _templates

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-01-16 10:00:43

hjrw

Thanks rod

I'll work on that this evening...  I thought that I was making it too complicated.  I'll probably have more questions, but this is a good start - this is stirring up old memories of setting up CE3.

-Herschel

#4 2015-01-16 10:38:22

rod barbee
Website

It's like riding a bike. Only now the bike is a 15 speed bike. With USB ports.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-01-25 17:17:06

hjrw

Here I go again...  I'm still having trouble with my hierarchical structure.  Here is what I am trying to do:

galleries
    gallery1
    gallery2
    autoindex1
        gallery3

clubs
    autoindex-clubs1
        gallery-clubs1
        gallery-clubs2
    autoindex-clubs2
        gallery-clubs3

etc

The basic "Pages" portion of the site seems to be working.  I have not loaded anything into "galleries" yet. 

I created an autoindex and named it "clubs" and uploaded it to the root level (same level as "galleries").  I created autoindex-clubs1 and gallery-clubs1.  I used my "clubs" instance of Publisher to upload gallery-clubs1.

When I test the site and select "Clubs," I get the correct Clubs autoindex page.  However, the thumbnail (and album description) point to gallery-clubs1 rather than autoindex-clubs1.  The gallery-clubs1 page is missing the Page Copy text below the Navigation Container (it shows in Lightroom).  All I see is the path (clubs/gallery-clubs1).  I have the Page Copy entered into the Gallery as well as the Publisher instance for that gallery.

I presume that I have loaded autoindex and gallery files into the wrong places.  Is there some documentation that describes the folder structure for a hierarchical arrangement like mine?  And I have no idea why the Page Copy does not show in gallery-clubs1.

It seemed easier in CE3.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Herschel

#6 2015-01-25 23:02:08

rod barbee
Website

You say you used your Clubs instance of Publisher to create an album from gallery-clubs1

However, the thumbnail (and album description) point to gallery-clubs1 rather than autoindex-clubs1.

That's the way it's supposed to work. If you wanted another index, use Publisher to create an album set

Page copy from your template won't appear on subsequent albums or album sets unless you tell Publisher to do that. When creating or editing albums/sets, go to the "Content" tab and set up text there. You'll have choices on where to display template content

Looking at the one album you have on your "Clubs" page, it's missing the needed template.
Make sure you've uploaded your CE4 Autoindex export to ttg-be/templates/autoindex and your CE4 Gallery export to ttg-be/templates/gallery/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-01-26 08:10:05

hjrw

Still having issues.  I must be totally missing some concept here... 

Here is my directory structure at my host server:   
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Xvop … sp=sharing

I was seeing 2 "albums" on my Clubs page.  One pointed to a non-existant gallery (it should have been an autoindex) and the other pointed to the "titan" gallery.  I messed around and now get errors whenever I try to edit the titan gallery and the images are all missing (just a stack of frames).

Error:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Xvop … sp=sharing

I thought I knew what I was doing now, but everything I try makes it worse.  Just need to get this hierarchy thing working then I should be OK.  Also not sure why it thinks that there are 2 entities at the Clubs level, rather than one autoindex and one gallery below it.

Trying not to be too stupid.  Thanks
-Herschel

#8 2015-01-26 11:04:49

rod barbee
Website

your screen shot shows that your template is here: http://www.rt-66.com/ttg-be/templates/a … 015_01_25a
but I get a page not found error at that location

same with this autoindex: http://www.rt-66.com/ttg-be/templates/a … 015_01_25a

did you change the location of your site from the link you posted above?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-01-26 12:48:28

hjrw

Thanks for the note...  I've been playing around with the organization.  Here's where I stand.

First, since I am using the "clubs" folder rather than "galleries," do I need a "Clubs" Album Set?  That would give me

PUBLISHER (pointing to the /clubs/ folder)
Clubs
     autoindex1
           gallery1

Now for the issue.  At the moment, I have the structure noted above.  When I select "Clubs" from the main menu, I get 3 entries:
Arizona Z Series, Clubs, Titan Museum.  There should be only 1, since as far as I know, that is all that is on the server. 

If I select "Arizona Z Series," I get the autoindex page for the Arizona Z Series.  It shows the Titan Gallery but the gallery is missing.

If I select "Clubs," I get the Arizona Z Series autoindex with the gallery which works.

If I select "Titan Museum," I get the gallery page but no images.

I had expected to only see Arizona Z Series autoindex when I selected Clubs, and then the gallery when I selected Titan Museum.

I think I am closer, but not there yet.  Have I corrupted some files on the server with all of my uploads and publishing?

Thanks,
-Herschel

EDIT:  I'm getting closer...  found some autoindices and galleries that publisher didn't remove from server.  Working on them now.
EDIT 2:  I got it!  Somehow one of my autoindex sets became a gallery.  I fixed it and it seems to be working. 

One more question right now:  If I embed an image in the description, how do I designate the location of the image?  In CE3 I put it in photos...   src="photos/image.jpg"   The server can't find it... I've put a copy in several "photos" directories to no avail.

Thanks again!
-Herschel

Last edited by hjrw (2015-01-26 15:13:19)

#10 2015-01-26 13:39:16

rod barbee
Website

no, you don't need a Clubs album set. An autoindex named "clubs" will serve as your main index page. Point Publisher at "clubs" just as you are doing.

the only thing I see on the Clubs page right now is Clubs. But you've yet to assign a thumbnail to it.
When I click on that link I see "AZ Z-Series Club" (an Album Set)
Inside of that I see "Titan Museum", which brings me to an album. (One that needs bigger thumbnails, by the way)

You've got the Clubs autoindex with a Publisher instance pointing at it.

If needed, add albums sets to cover the organization that you need. Inside each album set, start publishing albums that belong to each set.

Clubs                  (autoindex)
     Album Set one
          album 1
          album 2
          album 3
    Album Set two
          album 4
          album 5
          album 6
    Album Set three.....
          more albums....

See this about adding

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2015-01-26 15:17:50

hjrw

Hi Rod

Didn't see your reply...  please see the question at the end of my previous note.

I've added an album set as you suggested.  It seems to be working.  Now I need to clean it up with better thumbnails, etc.  Is there any way to enhance the appearance of the autogenerated thumbnails in the indices?  <<<< Got it !!!

Thanks
-Herschel

Last edited by hjrw (2015-01-26 15:34:46)

#12 2015-01-26 15:27:05

rod barbee
Website

The thumbnails appearing in the indexes are coming from the albums directly within those indexes. So unless you want to create custom thumbnails you'll need to increase the size of the thumbnails in the albums. Do that in the gallery templates and then republish the images.
More on thumbnails and the Autoindex here: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … thumbnails
There's also a link at the bottom of that page you'll want to follow.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2015-01-26 15:32:32

rod barbee
Website

One more question right now:  If I embed an image in the description, how do I designate the location of the image?  In CE3 I put it in photos...   src="photos/image.jpg"   The server can't find it..

Do you mean the page copy?
You'll need to either make sure the needed image is in the album or album set's photos/ folder (if you use src="photos/image-name.jpg") or set up a folder on the server specifically for these kinds of images and put the url to the image in the src attribute in the html

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2015-01-26 15:36:21

hjrw

Got it (embedded images).  I'll read the stuff on the thumbnails tonight!

Thanks
-Herschel

Board footer