Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-18 00:12:04

post@trulsellefsen.no

Gallery integration with Pages fails

I am using "The CE4 Web Publishing Suite" and has followed the "Beginner's Guide to CE4 Web Publishing".
So far I have come to integration of the CE4 Gallery engine.

The first time I uploaded the CE4 Gallery, everything seemed to work OK, except when using the navigation pane:
When selecting any of the Navigation Items when at the Gallery page, the specific pages was not found.
I think this were caused by a mismatch in the Website - Site Root specification (my fault).

Then I deleted averything except the TTG-BE from the online root directory, corrected the Site Root specification in both engines and uploaded the CE4 Pages and then the CE4 Gallery once more:
Now most pages works fine except the CE4 Gallery.
What comes up when I push the Galleries navigation item is the built-in Pages Gallery.
When I click the website logo I get to the CE4 Gallery page and not the Home page.
The gallery shows two pictures from the first try (above) repeated a number of times next to each other in the Album, and not the four Pictures I think I put into it the second time.
When I click either of the two pictures, the page content is partly outside the page.

Is it anything I should reset, or what should I do to fix this?

Thanks for help :-)

Truls

Last edited by post@trulsellefsen.no (2015-01-18 01:52:52)

#2 2015-01-18 02:18:20

rod barbee
Website

Re: Gallery integration with Pages fails

Hi Truls,

To help us get a better idea of your set up can you post a link to your site?

Just from reading your post, I suspect you may be uploading your export of CE4 Gallery to the root of your site. If so, it doesn't belong there.
Since you have the Web Publishing Suite I'm going to assume you want to use Publisher. Therefore, you should be uploading your CE4 Gallery export (the entire exported folder) to the /ttg-be/templates/gallery/ folder.

But since you're new to all this, I also suggest you export a gallery with just a few pictures in it and then upload that gallery (the entire exported folder) to the /galleries/ folder on your site. When you name you exports, use only letters, numbers, underscores and hyphens. No spaces or special characters.
After you upload the exported gallery to the /galleries/ folder, go to your site and click on the Galleries link. You should see a thumbnail that represents your gallery. Click on that to see your gallery.
This will give you a better idea of how all this works. Once you're done with this test gallery you can simply delete it from the server.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-01-18 03:59:27

post@trulsellefsen.no

Site: www.brituglem.no

To me it seems like I have uploaded the Gallery files to the galleries folder.

I made a gallery With two Pictures in the first Version while I made it with 4 Pictures in the last.

In the first Version of the gallery it was as you describe in your last paragraph, but not after editing the root Directory name in both Pages and Gallery (to what I thougt was correct = http://www.brituglem.no/)

"Produkter" is actaully the Gallery...

Last edited by post@trulsellefsen.no (2015-01-18 04:00:52)

#4 2015-01-18 04:10:18

rod barbee
Website

I'm not seeing anything on your Galleries (Produkter) page.

Where exactly are you uploading your galleries? Are you uploading the entire exported folders?

If you can provide a screen shot of the folder structure on your server that might help.

To do that, place the screen shot image online (I just make a folder in the root of my site to hold these images)

In you message, click the image icon at the top of the message window. It's next to the color wheel. place the URL to your screenshot image in between the IMG tags.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-01-18 05:27:33

post@trulsellefsen.no

I see the default Gallieries text in Produkter:

Galleries

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus semper ipsum nibh. Proin vitae erat at enim semper placerat non in metus. Praesent et sodales orci. Maecenas tristique ultricies lorem non lacinia. Mauris sem elit, scelerisque vel laoreet at, placerat a nibh. In nec nunc vel neque sollicitudin euismod. Mauris vitae lorem dui.

Phasellus ac tortor ante. Nulla ornare turpis et viverra bibendum. Integer non dolor id neque scelerisque sollicitudin. Vestibulum at elementum augue, eget pulvinar lectus. Phasellus imperdiet magna eu dignissim suscipit. Fusce venenatis arcu neque, in dignissim quam elementum sed. Nullam massa sapien, bibendum ac sollicitudin ullamcorper, commodo at lacus. Vivamus condimentum at orci nec mollis.

Here is a screenshot With /galleries/ folder mostly expanded:
file_structure.jpg

Last edited by post@trulsellefsen.no (2015-01-19 21:11:46)

#6 2015-01-18 06:06:13

rod barbee
Website

you need to have the url to the image itself, not just the folder:

http://www.yoursite.com/screenshots/image-name.jpg

I found the image by going to the url of the folder. I saw it listed there and so edited your post

I see the default Gallieries text in Produkter

This is the default text for the Galleries page of Pages that you're seeing. It's not part of any of your galleries.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-01-18 06:14:25

rod barbee
Website

OK. it looks to me as if you've uploaded the contents of a CE4 Gallery export to the galleries/ folder. You need to upload the entire exported folders from your exports.

Clear out the entire /galleries/ folder, just delete everything from it. Then re-upload the /galleries/ folder from the initial Pages export.
the galleries/ folder initially should only contain these:

custom-thumbnails/   (folder)
gallery.xml
index.php

Once you start uploading CE4 Gallery exports (the entire exported folders), you'll see more folders.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2015-01-18 06:18:38

rod barbee
Website

at its core, the TTG system is a folders within folders system. This might help explain it a bit more:
http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … -plug-ins/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-01-18 07:01:14

rod barbee
Website

I am using "The CE4 Web Publishing Suite" and has followed the "Beginner's Guide to CE4 Web Publishing".
So far I have come to integration of the CE4 Gallery engine.

be sure  to take note of this section of the tutorial:

Export and Upload

And that is all for CE4 Gallery. There's much more we could do, but nothing that we need to do just now.

Press the EXPORT button and save the gallery to your desktop. Then use your FTP client to upload the saved folder into your /galleries folder online, the one that was created by CE4 Pages.

Revisit your Galleries page online, and you will see your new gallery has magically appeared on the page!

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2015-01-18 20:09:16

post@trulsellefsen.no

Thanks for your help so far :-)

I have got rid of the rubbish regarding the old gallery stuff and navigation error when pushing the header logo.
So far so good...

However, I am still not able to get in touch with the real Gallery from the menu item - Produkter.
Still the default Pages gallery appears...

I have checked all Pictures and the logo for recomended filename characters and changed if necessary.
I have completely deleted all the old files from the web server, re-exported and uploaded the Pages files and the same for the Gallery files in that sequence.

The FTP Client used is Cyberduck (Windows).

I have re-read the recommended litterature some times as well, but I can't see what should be wrong :-(

#11 2015-01-19 02:19:52

rod barbee
Website

There is no "real" gallery to get to by that link. That link takes you to the Galleries page, an index that leads to the real galleries that you should be uploading to the galleries/ folder.

Where exactly are you uploading you exported galleries? Can you provide a direct url to one of them?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-01-19 21:09:55

post@trulsellefsen.no

I saw that in the previous file structure, the Pages files were all *.php while the index file and other files in /galleries/ was *.html.

For that reason I tried to enable php as described for both Pages and Gallery, so now all files are *.php.
Still no difference in behaviour for the "Produkter" menu item.

When I push Produkter I get to the following gallery which is the default one:
http://brituglem.no/galleries.php

I uploaded my own gallery made using CE4 Gallery to /galleries/ folder and can see that the index.php was overwriting the one generated by Pages. Here you will find my CE4 Gallery:
http://brituglem.no/galleries/index.php

The New file structure:
file_structure_2.jpg

#13 2015-01-19 23:16:44

rod barbee
Website

Still no difference in behaviour for the "Produkter" menu item.

as it should be. That link goes to galleries.php, your Galleries (Produkter) page. This is not a gallery. It's a gallery index. A portal to your actual galleries.

__

Once again it appears that you've uploaded the contents of a CE4 Gallery export, not the entire exported gallery folder/.

You are going to have to clear out your galleries/ folder again.

Upon an initial Pages export, the only things that should be in the galleries/ folder are:
custom-thumbnails/
gallery.xml
index.php
   (index.php serves as a redirect to galleries.php in the case that a visitor enters the url /yoursite.com/galleries/)

However, I am still not able to get in touch with the real Gallery from the menu item - Produkter.
Still the default Pages gallery appears...

This is not a "default Pages gallery" this is the Gallery page index.
You need to upload an exported folder from CE4 Gallery.

TTG is, at its most basic, a folder within folders system.

I uploaded my own gallery made using CE4 Gallery to /galleries/ folder and can see that the index.php was overwriting the one generated by Pages.

Don't do that smile

Try again. clear out the galleries folder. Export a gallery from CE4 Gallery. You'll end up with a folder (which has lots of files in it)
Upload the folder to the galleries/ folder. That's really all there is to it.

Re-read the documentation and the blog post I sent you.

Once you've successfully uploaded a gallery (the entire exported folder, not just the contents of that folder) we can deal with any navigation issues.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2015-01-20 00:27:34

post@trulsellefsen.no

Puuhhhh... Thanks a lot!!!
No it works as expected :-)

That was a hard one for my brain ...
It had a heavy hangup from the Pages upload on uploading the content.

Maybe the "A Beginner's Guide to CE4 Web Publishing" could notify this a bit stronger??:
"... Then use your FTP client to upload the saved folder (the complete folder, not the content) into your /galleries folder online ..."

I think this will help missing at this point.
For me this guide was the obvious one to follow to get something up and running without reading too much other places.
Even if I was reading the other stuff my brain "knew" what to do, but that is of course my problem :-)

Thanks again :-)

#15 2015-01-20 00:35:28

rod barbee
Website

Yay! Glad it's now working.

Pages is the only TTG plug-in where you upload only the contents of the folder. It's the exception. Everything else: upload the entire folder.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer