Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-05 01:22:40

reinharw

Homepage Gallery & Updating website

Let me start off by saying I love CE4.  Great work Matt.  Publisher and Search capabilities are my favorite features.  Fantastic.

I have a question regarding the homepage gallery/image.  I see from the documentation the default is picking images to appear on the homepage or you can use publisher to manage the images that appear there.  Here's my question.  When using the publisher method, does the gallery it creates fill/replace the entire homepage or just appear as the gallery on the standard homepage?  I like the idea of using publisher to manage my homepage images but I also want textual content.  Can I have both?

One other question.  I've created and posted a preliminary website (www.williphotos.com) which I'm mostly satisfied with but it is a work in progress.  I'd like to continue making "tweaks" to it before declaring it done.  I know I'll be adding an additional menu items and cart capabilities as well as minor cosmetic changes to pages (mast head, text context etc.).  Here's my question.  When I made changes in the past (prior to CE4), I deleted the changed portions from my website, exported the new content and reposted the new files.  It was tedious but it worked.  Now with more things interconnected in CE4 (tte-be, publisher etc.), how do you recommend updating changes to my website?  The publisher is a godsend for managing galleries but I'm struggling on how to update the pages portion of the website without deleting everything and reposting.  I'm hoping you can suggest an easier way.  Thanks.    Bill

#2 2014-12-05 02:46:14

rod barbee
Website

Re: Homepage Gallery & Updating website

You can use Publisher to control the home page gallery, not the home page static image.

When using the publisher method, does the gallery it creates fill/replace the entire homepage or just appear as the gallery on the standard homepage?

It will replace the Home Page. But you can include text in the Album.
So for example, I'm developing my new site and will have text on the home page. It's set up to have text above and a Galleria slideshow below. I've created a Stage publisher template that is set up the same way as my home page. I just need to include my page text either in the template itself or enter it in the created album. I'll most likely enter it in the Album Setup dialog. Easier to change that way.

When I made changes in the past (prior to CE4), I deleted the changed portions from my website, exported the new content and reposted the new files.  It was tedious but it worked.  Now with more things interconnected in CE4 (tte-be, publisher etc.), how do you recommend updating changes to my website?

When making changes to design or page structure, I just upload the new files. My FTP program is set to overwrite files if the files being uploaded have changed or are newer.
It can get easier than that. If you're just making styling changes (colors, fonts, padding, etc.) you can get away with just uploading the /lib/css/ folder. If you're just changing text for Pages, you can upload the corresponding file in the /fragments/ folder.
And if you think you'll be changing navigation, by far the easiest thing to do is to manage your navigation with phplugins.
That way you only need to make a change to one file instead of needing to change, export, and upload Pages and any Publisher templates, or other pages you might have every time you make a change.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer