Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-04 04:21:42

paulg

Help req with Markdown text

I'm in the process of converting from CE3 to CE4 and I'm having problems with some markdown text not displaying correctly.
As an example in the Service page sidebar I have this:

[Fine Art America](http://paul-gulliver.artistwebsites.com/index.html) offer framed and unframed prints on a variety of materials.

Within Lightroom (and in the Markdown pad) it displays correctly with the words "Fine Art America" as a link to the given web site, however when I upload it to my site it displays as it was typed - shown here
http://paulgulliver.co.uk/services.php
I've tried both Chrome and Firefox and both show it incorrectly, where am I going wrong?

The web site is only in the early stages of development so there are a lot of incorrect links and text, please ignore the rest of the site
Paul

#2 2014-12-04 05:06:24

rod barbee
Website

Re: Help req with Markdown text

I looked at the page source and also copied the text from your fragment/services-side.html file and noticed there was a closing </p> tag at the end of the first line (without a corresponding opening tag) and also a bunch of opening <p> tags without corresponding closing tags.
So I did a search and replace on those <p> tags to remove them, copied the whole thing, and pasted it into my own Services side-bar in my test set up.
I then went through and made sure the line breaks were all there by inserting the cursor at the end of one of your text sections and hitting delete until the next line moved up against the cursor. Then I did the normal space, space, ctrl-Enter (I'm on Windows, I think Mac users just need to use space, space, enter).
I exported and uploaded. You can see the results here: http://ce4.barbeephoto.com/services.php

I only used one line break between each section, but it would be easy enough to add another by just doing the space, space, ctrl-enter thing again.

My suggestions is to go through what you have and basically do the same thing I did. Make sure you don't have any extra <p> tags hanging around. Or if you did want those <p> tags, make sure you close them at the end of the paragraph. Also note that you can't use Markdown inside of html elements. So if you are using <p> tags, you'll need to write what's inside of those tags in html instead.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-12-04 06:14:05

paulg

Rod, first, thanks very much for going to that trouble to sort out my problem, much appreciated.
Ok, it looks as though I'll have to go through it all, as you have done, and remove the <p> tags, I didn't realize you couldn't mix the tags and markdown, in fact I thought the tags were part of the markdown language, just shows how little I know smile .
Strangely this whole section was copied and pasted from the equivalent CE3 module and I'm sure it worked there ok, perhaps there is something different about the way the CE4 module works, anyway not to worry at least I now know the way forward.
Thanks again for help,
Paul

#4 2014-12-04 06:37:01

rod barbee
Website

you can mix html and Markdown, you just can't put Markdown inside of html tags

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-12-04 15:24:59

rod barbee
Website

I'll go ahead and remove that sidebar containing your text from the Services page on my test site. Let me know if you need it again.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer