Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-28 02:26:24

NickM

Opinions Needed and Questions on Highslide Gallery

Currently rebuilding my website and nearing completion I think, but I am unsure about the final look for the large image view of the gallery. I have put up 3 galleries on my site to illustrate the problem:

Lofoten Test Gallery 01: http://summitphotographs.com/galleries/ … allery_01/

Lofoten Test Gallery 02: http://summitphotographs.com/galleries/ … allery_02/

Lofoten Test Gallery 03: http://summitphotographs.com/galleries/ … allery_03/

My preferred style when viewed on a desktop / laptop is Gallery 02 because I like the even width of the frame all the way round. The problem is that there is no room for image information. If the caption is included, as in Gallery 01, it deepens the lower frame border which I think ruins the balance of the large image view. I guess one option is to remove the frame all together as in Gallery 03, but for me the text is then too close to the image, again spoiling the simple, lean effect I am aiming for. When viewed on a tablet the caption in Galleries 01 and 03 appears on the lower UI Background but disappears when you tap on the picture.

So, now for a few questions:

Is there anyway of replicating the effect that you get on a tablet on the desktop / laptop setting by putting the caption text on the lower UI background, leaving the image free to view in an equal width/depth frame?

If not, is it possible to increase the space between the lower edge of an unframed image (Gallery 03) and the caption so that the caption is not so close to and doesn't crowd the image? The picture will obviously be slightly smaller as a result.

Any other suggestions or ideas out there as how to work round this one?

Next, is there anyway of changing the font size and style for the caption?

Finally, and on a completely different tack, can anybody tell me why the thumbnails in portrait mode on the masonry gallery look significantly less sharp than the thumbnails in landscape mode? I appreciate that it is because they are bigger, but is there anyway to work around this?

Thank you for all help and suggestions!

Nick

Last edited by NickM (2014-10-28 02:28:05)

#2 2014-10-28 03:32:41

rod barbee
Website

Re: Opinions Needed and Questions on Highslide Gallery

If not, is it possible to increase the space between the lower edge of an unframed image (Gallery 03) and the caption so that the caption is not so close to and doesn't crowd the image? The picture will obviously be slightly smaller as a result.

try custom css. the built in padding for the .highslide-caption class is 2px. changing it to about 8px moves the text down a bit without it interfering with the edge of the bottom border. this won't affect picture size, but just move the text a little lower.

Finally, and on a completely different tack, can anybody tell me why the thumbnails in portrait mode on the masonry gallery look significantly less sharp than the thumbnails in landscape mode?

It's because they're filling a larger space than what you've got their output size set for. Set the cell width (or thumbnail height) so that the verticals will fit without them needing to be enlarged. For example, if your main aspect ratio is 3:2 and you've set the cell width to 200px, make sure that the thumbnail height is 300px

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-10-28 07:05:16

NickM

Thanks Rod,

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with customising css and am not sure where to alter the code to increase the padding. I'm quite happy to have a go if you can give me a recipe: what to write and where, but otherwise don't
have the time to sit down and learn all about hacking css at present. I have an exhibition coming up in 2 weeks and my major priority at present is to get the new website up and running before then.

Any suggestions?

Nick

Last edited by NickM (2014-10-28 07:05:42)

#4 2014-11-02 05:15:47

NickM

Rod, I've been through the files in the gallery and cannot find where the padding sits.

Can you point me in the direction of what I need to edit to increase the padding?

Cheers,

Nick

#5 2014-11-02 10:54:53

rod barbee
Website

I believe it was the .highslide-caption class as mentioned above. I think it's built in and not changeable in Lightroom. Try using custom css using that class:

.highslide-caption {
  padding-top: 8px;
}

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer