Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-25 08:16:23

Em

Search Question

Hi, not sure where to put this but since it is part of the publisher doc I'll go here. Feel free to move...

Search Q.

I have some draft pics on the site and (yeah) it all seems to be mostly working. I have a gallery index and gallery page now.

My Question: when I go to the search page and input a word to search that I know is part of the Album name or description nothing comes up. I just get a no albums... or no images.... matched your search.

Where does the search function pull the words from to match and show some results. I must be missing something. 

I also put in a title and caption on each image in the "Library" of LR too and tried that in case that is where the search draws from.

Please to go ems-gallery(dot)com/index.php

Thank you, Em

#2 2014-10-25 08:34:00

rod barbee
Website

Re: Search Question

search pulls from image metadata, not from album names or descriptions.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-10-25 08:54:38

Em

Thank you Rod.

Can you tell me if that is set in the "library" LR section or in the web portion of LR in the ttg gallery module.

Also, it is weird. On one browser I can put my cursor in the search box and type. And when I tried another one I couldn't even get the serach box to engage. Can I impose upon you to go to the site and the search page and sort of give me a check on what you see?

You must have patience of steel to put up with my quetions:-) and I truly appreciate all your help.

ETA" I am looking at the LR Library section - "metadata" area and I see a "title" and a Caption field. Is that what you are talking about. If so, I did/do have date in those fields. Some of the works include flowers bloom leaf etc but when I try that in search nothing comes up.

And in the LR Library Keywords list I have florals, flowers

I am not finding a metadata field in the web module for the ttg gallery?

OOOOOOm I think I found it! http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … y_metadata Right?

OK, I read that article and it doesn't really explain: Do I check all the items in that section in the "image Info" pane of the web area for the gallery?

Then on the right where they all say "custom settings" do I do anything. Do I click "edit" instead of leaving it on the term custom settings.

I checked the "metadata 1" and the metadata 2" but is that the answer to the question? Do I "edit" that and insert keyword. It would seem to be global for the whole album rather than specific to each image in the gallery.

So I guess I am still looking for some input. Thanks.

WELL, I actually found this link to be the most helpful http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … publishing even thought it is for ce3 so perhaps this will get me on track...

Last edited by Em (2014-10-25 09:31:34)

#4 2014-10-25 09:29:23

rod barbee
Website

Can you tell me if that is set in the "library" LR section or in the web portion of LR in the ttg gallery module.

You can only enter that information in Lightroom's Library Module

Can I impose upon you to go to the site and the search page and sort of give me a check on what you see?

Using Firefox, I couldn't get enter anything in the search box either.

I am looking at the LR Library section - "metadata" area and I see a "title" and a Caption field. Is that what you are talking about.

Yep. The Library Module is the place for entering that information.

I am not finding a metadata field in the web module for the ttg gallery?

That's because all of that is done in the Library Module

OOOOOOm I think I found it! http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … y_metadata Right?

OK, I read that article and it doesn't really explain: Do I check all the items in that section in the "image Info" pane or the web area for the gallery?

the Image Info control pane allows you to determine what metadata will be shown. The metadata itself must be entered in the Library Module. So if you want both metadata fields in the thumbnails to contain information, you can set it up that way. If you don't want any information shown, leave them unchecked.

I checked the "metadata 1" and the metadata 2" but is that the answer to the question? Do I "edit" that and insert keyword. It would seem to be global for the whole album rather than specific to each image in the gallery.

Metadata 1 and metadata 2 set what metadata fields are displayed with the thumbnails. Title and Caption display metadata for the large images. Just choose what metadata fields you want displayed.
Custom means you can set it up just about any way you like. Choose edit in the drop-down and use Lightroom's Template Editor to configure the metadata you want to show.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-10-25 09:32:54

Em

THANK YOU, that helps:-)

#6 2014-10-25 11:19:31

Em

Hi, Back again.

Deep breath and clear our heads and start fresh here.

OK, I have re-installed everything I could think of to get the search working. Created a new/fresh template. Let me step off what I did because while I think I solved the problem about not getting to input data into the search box we talked about? I still don't get any results and I know my metadata has been filled out. You can even go to the gallery page by accessing it via the index on the gallery page and see that the title and caption show up on the individual gallery images. Thats a start anyway but don't know if it has anything to do with the search results.

A) In Library of LR under metadata I have the Title and the Caption populated with information for each image in the gallery on the site.

B) I used the "gallery" ttg engine in the web module to create the search template and exported/ftp to the correct location per wiki to ttg-be>templates>gallery>my-search-template as can be seen on the search page from the link on my site.

C) Before I exported that template I made sure in the "Image info" that Title, Caption, Metadate1 (set for Title) and Metadate2 (set for caption) is checked.

D) In the "output settings" under "publisher setup" the Metadata Outlets show Title {Title}, Caption {Caption}, Metadata 1 {Title}, Metadata 2  {Caption} and also the cart items are filled out with the title and caption stuff, but I am not using that but wouldn't think that effects anything since I don't see a way to turn it off.

I just don't get why nothing shows up in results when I search on a word I know is in the title or the caption? You can see the title and caption words used when you look at the gallery images after clicking on the album.

Do you see any holes here or something I am missing. Do you get to put your cursor in the search box now where before you couldn't.

Thank you again"=_

Last edited by Em (2014-10-25 11:24:50)

#7 2014-10-25 11:51:10

rod barbee
Website

I think Ben is going to have to take a look. Make sure that you've set up guest access to your ttg-be.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2014-10-25 15:29:16

Ben

Hi Em, the only gallery I can see is 'floral',  which doesn't appear to be a Publisher-created gallery.  Only Publisher-created galleries are searchable.  Can you confirm that this is a gallery you uploaded yourself, rather than through Publisher?  Are there any Publisher-created galleries that should be searchable?

Last edited by Ben (2014-10-25 15:29:34)

#9 2014-10-26 00:33:01

rod barbee
Website

D'oh! I should have noticed it was a regular gallery before diving into all that metadata stuff...
anyway, the good news is that this morning I could enter text in your search box from Firefox!

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2014-10-26 01:08:12

Em

LOL, Ok then... that explains A LOT...

It was not created through publisher. I thought I was loosing my mind since all the program setup seemed solid.

Publisher learning today it is. And Rod, thanks for the css and dynamic masthead links from other topics. Your are great! Em

And glad to hear you can enter text into the box. Now I just need a publisher gallery:-)

I am curious however... how do you know it was not a publisher gallery? nosy me...

Last edited by Em (2014-10-26 01:14:21)

#11 2014-10-26 01:26:30

rod barbee
Website

I am curious however... how do you know it was not a publisher gallery? nosy me...

by looking at the page source code. In the head area you'll see this if it's Publisher managed:

<meta name="generator" content="CE4 Gallery 6.1.1, via Publisher" />

otherwise you'll see something like this:

<meta name="generator" content="CE4 Gallery 6.1.1, 11 published images" />

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2014-10-26 07:24:14

Ben

rod barbee wrote:

by looking at the page source code. In the head area you'll see this if it's Publisher managed:

Other ways of checking:

1) append ?data to the gallery URL e.g. http://yoursite.com/galleries/your-gallery/?data 
This displays the associated data to a published gallery

2) append gallery.xml to the gallery URL e.g. http://yoursite.com/galleries/your-gallery/gallery.xml
This displays XML with the gallery ID used by Publisher

Board footer