Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-19 02:58:54

awjensen

Migrating from gallery based site to autoindex based

I must be stupid but I can't get a clear picture of the steps required to do this. Here is what I have done so far:

1. I created a CE4 autoindex template and exported it.
2. Used Filezilla to upload the exported folder, sub-folders and files to /photos/ttg-be/templates/autoindex (/photos is the root of my photo web site)
3. Uploaded the same exported folder to /photos/autoindex
4. Moved each of the albums I had already created from /photos/galleries to /photos/autoindex

When I did this, none of the albums showed up on my "Galleries" page. Obviously I have to change some setting somewhere else. So, for now, I have moved everything back.

What was I doing wrong? I find the instructions for using autoindex very confusing. All of the other documentation seems excellent.

#2 2014-08-19 04:07:17

rod barbee
Website

Re: Migrating from gallery based site to autoindex based

When I did this, none of the albums showed up on my "Galleries" page.

is the link label to your autoindex/ folder named Galleries?

Moved each of the albums I had already created from /photos/galleries to /photos/autoindex

galleries or Publisher controlled albums? if albums, how did you move them.

can you post a link, otherwise, this is all just guesswork

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-19 04:31:20

awjensen

The site is photos.creditech.ca

I don't know what you mean by:

is the link label to your autoindex/ folder named Galleries?

What / where is the link label?

The albums are Publisher controlled albums. I moved the albums by using Filezilla. How should I have moved them?

In order for you to help further, should I move one or more of the albums back into /photos/autoindex? (Right now all of the albums are in /photos/galleries)

#4 2014-08-19 04:40:09

rod barbee
Website

Since this is a Pages installation, your Galleries page is an autoindex. There is no reason to add another autoindex adjacent to it.

You should never move Publisher controlled albums with anything other than Publisher. If you do move them outside of Publisher, you'll lose all control over them.

In order for you to help further, should I move one or more of the albums back into /photos/autoindex? (Right now all of the albums are in /photos/galleries)

Like I said, the Galleries page is already an autoindex. It indexes items in the /galleries/ folder. There's really no reason for you to move them to an autoindex folder as you would be getting the exact same behavior, only you'd be losing Publisher control.
Plus you'd have to create another navigation menu item pointing to the new autoindex. (Navigation is where you'd also give a label to the link. The folder may be named "autoindex" and the url would be /photos/autoindex, but you can label the link itself anything you like, say "Portfolios".

What exactly are you trying to do? If you want further organization on your Galleries page (like a section for landscapes, a section for close ups, etc,) then create Album Sets from within Publisher. You already have an autoindex in place to serve as a template (the autoindex you uploaded to ttg-be/templates/autoindex/)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-08-19 05:15:57

awjensen

So what you are saying is that the site already is making use of the autoindex features?

#6 2014-08-19 05:51:46

rod barbee
Website

yep.

What CE4 Autoindex will do for you beyond what the Galleries page in Pages will do, is let you create autoindex templates for Publisher. With these you can create Album Sets. Inside Album Set you can place albums.
So instead of having a Galleries page with 25 albums, you can use Album Sets to put related albums in, well, sets.

Other people use Autoindex to create things like a Clients page. They'll put galleries and autoindexes inside this autoindex so that clients will have their own "areas" on the site.
Others use it for a Video page containing Stage pages that host videos.
Right now I'm using an Autoindex for my Workshops page. The workshops pages themselves are made with CE3 Gallery or Stage and are inside the Workshops autoindex.

You can set up these separate autoindexes to be managed by Publisher too. All you need to do is create additional Publisher instances and aim them at the appropriate autoindex folder.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer