Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-08 21:32:17

tomowensphoto
Website

Pages limit =6 Nav Hyperlinks up to 10

Hi,
I thought I'd get around the EU privacy issue on my photo site by adding a page called Privacy. This I can do in Navigation Links but no target page is listed in the pull down on account of the Page limit of 6 but the Hyperlinks section allows for up to 10.
Is there a reason for the 6 page limit and a Hyperlink provision of up to 10? I currently run 7 as I have the blog incorporated and I realise that the blog is not a Pages creation.
When I tried adding an absolute URL to the 8th Page and specified open in new window, Bingo the page of the parent site opened on refresh and displayed the cookie warning but I could not navigate back to the other pages presumably because of the 6 page limit.
Any suggestions?
Regards
TomO

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#2 2014-08-08 22:01:55

rod barbee
Website

Re: Pages limit =6 Nav Hyperlinks up to 10

Is there a reason for the 6 page limit and a Hyperlink provision of up to 10?

Pages only outputs 6 pages, but you can create more with Stage or Autoindex. The provision for extra menu items is in case you want to add a page or link to pages anywhere else.

When I tried adding an absolute URL to the 8th Page and specified open in new window, Bingo the page of the parent site opened on refresh and displayed the cookie warning but I could not navigate back to the other pages

Did you provide the needed navigation in this page?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-08 22:17:04

tomowensphoto
Website

OK thanks Rod,
So I'll have to create an autoindex to cater for the extra page(s) and replace something created by pages with that of the autoindex?

Did I provide the needed navigation? I was working in updating the template in LR, entered the path to the on-line page ticked the check box to open in new window, refreshed the page to preview my changes and my parent site privacy page with cookie pop up opened up and I had no way back to the preview of the TTG page to navigate off it. I presume there is something I have not included?

I have since edited out that link and re-opened the template to carry on with other content changes but I could add it in and screen shot if you need to see what I'm doing.
Regards,
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#4 2014-08-08 22:44:26

rod barbee
Website

So I'll have to create an autoindex to cater for the extra page(s) and replace something created by pages with that of the autoindex?

Not at all. First decide where the page will go. I suggest in the root of the site. Let's call it "Cookies". In your menu, add the item Cookies and provide the target: /cookies/
You'll need to change the navigation for all your pages: Pages, any publisher templates, any other pages you've created.
Export the page and name it "cookies". Upload it to the root of your site.
done.

I had no way back to the preview of the TTG page to navigate off it.

You were doing this in Lightroom? Try clicking on the "return to first page of gallery" button in the lower right of the Toolbar. It's just a blank square with no real indication as to what it does.

Any extra links you create in the Menu won't go anywhere in Lightroom

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-08-08 22:49:24

tomowensphoto
Website

Thanks Rod,
I'll have a go at this.
Regards,
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#6 2014-08-08 22:59:07

lofty
Website

Hey Tom,

That cookie page of mine is done in Stage. I just chose not to have a top level menu item to read Cookies, but put it in the footer. Just as Rod says, add the link to your menu and point it at your Stage Page!

#7 2014-08-08 23:56:13

tomowensphoto
Website

Thanks Rod and Lofty,
I don't use Stage - maybe I should look at that option, but I have just added the extra page and I have it open in a new window using an absolute URL. It opens the Privacy page on the top level domain. I just need to edit the words on that site to include the sub-domain. The only things I am doing are the contact forms and Webalizer that gathers anonymous stats. I don't use Google analytics
I'm just testing at the present. I have not included the link on my Blog page as there is something different about WordPress and cookies methinks. I'm sure I read that somewhere so more stuff to dig around in.
I now know what the little grey button is on the left hand side of the toolbar in OSX. Something new every day.
Regards
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#8 2014-08-09 00:14:17

rod barbee
Website

I now know what the little grey button is on the left hand side of the toolbar

Don't you just love how Lightroom hides these little gems?

Stage is a handy plug-in to have. It can do all sorts of things. In the CE3 version you can create a before/after page, a stitched pano page, a product rotation page. and more. It can even make coffee
http://www.barbeephoto.com/stage-coffee/
smile

Matt says he'll be adding to the CE4 Stage capabilities.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2014-08-09 04:28:36

tomowensphoto
Website

So long as it is a double espresso I'm in! Stage may well be the next TTG stage for me.
Very clever link.

Regards,
TomO

#10 2014-08-09 08:20:59

rod barbee
Website

I love Stage. It's probably my favorite of the TTG plug-ins. Though Theme for WordPress is pretty great. And Gallery. And Pages.....And....and

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer