Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-08 02:51:40

bcobb10b

"more..." break point

I can find nothing in the documentation about author set "more..." breakpoints in blog home page excerpts when the full post is not displayed on the home page.  The feature does not work in the CE4 Theme for WordPress, and did not work in the CE3 theme. 

Is this by design, or did I miss something?  If I activate the Twenty Fourteen theme, I can set the breakpoint as instructed in the WP documentation.

This is not a major issue, but is an annoyance.  I like to let the reader compete the initial paragraph before forcing him to open the full post.

FYI, I have installed all CE4 updates except for the last (email dated 8/5).  I am trying to get my site stable before
applying the latest update.

Matt, thanks for the great product.  I finally have the CE4 WordPress bundle up and running and love the new approaches.  Keep up the great work.  And thanks to Rod for his great support as I sorted out transition issues.

#2 2014-08-08 03:14:49

rod barbee
Website

Re: "more..." break point

set it in WordPress, not in Lightroom

From your Dashboard: appearance > theme options > basic settings :
Show post excerpts on the blog's front page (disable to show full posts)

You can also control what gets shown by providing your own excerpt in the "Excerpt" field. You may need to show it using the Screen Options tab in the upper right of the screen.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-08 03:25:00

bcobb10b

What you described is the way I have it set up. 

Plus I set the "more" tag at the end of the first paragraph (WP sets it inside the closing paragraph tag).

• WP using the TTG CE4 theme breaks the excerpt in the middle of the first paragraph, ignoring the tag setting.

• WP using the Twenty Fourteen theme breaks properly at the end of the first paragraph.

I will try the excerpt form window you mentioned.

Bill

#4 2014-08-08 03:48:12

bcobb10b

Placing a copy of the first paragraph of my posting into the excerpt area worked. The Home page showed the full content that was placed there.

However, there was a footnote in the WP post excerpt area that linked to the following and may prove helpful to others.  Guess I need to do more research into the the_content() template tag.

Excerpt, automatic excerpt, and teaser
The manual WordPress excerpt is often confused with the automatic excerpt or with the teaser (the part of a post that appears on the front page when you use the More tag). While both are related to the manual excerpt, they are different from it.

The relationship between the three is this: When a post has no manual excerpt and the post template uses the the_excerpt() template tag, WordPress generates an excerpt automatically by selecting the first 55 words of the post. When the post template uses the the_content() template tag, WordPress will look for the More tag and create a teaser from the content that precedes the More tag.

Bill

#5 2014-08-08 12:08:45

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The More tag works just fine in both CE3 and CE4 versions. To use it, you need to DISABLE excerpts on the main page.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2014-08-09 02:15:34

bcobb10b

Thanks Matt.  It does indeed work.  Counterintuitive tho - I never would've figured it out by myself.

I seem to be hitting on all cylinders with the updated site now.  Thanks for creating this great product suite!

Bill Cobb

Board footer