Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-02 20:24:32

HuMarts

Irritations

First: I don't know under which category my questions belongs, so I place it in "General."

I am ready to roll with my site. It looks very nice to me (which is the most important) and I've received a lot of positive feedback from people I asked to take a look and criticize what they encountered.

There's only one major cause of irritation left: the display on tablets (mobile phones are less important to me), both iPads and/or Windows/Android tablets like Samsung-devices.

About the menu we've had some conversation in the recent past. It's still not what I want, but I've given up the struggle.
There's much more disappointment about the way Galleries are shown. Galleries is what it is all about! I prefer to use HighSlide and on tablets it turns out to have been changed in PhotoSwipe-galleries, which give me hardly any chance to customize things: no colors the way I want them and no title and/or caption shown!
As always I ask myself: what am I doing wrong? But: AM I doing things wrong? Please tell me what!

Additional question: the beautiful homepage Full-Flip-Gallery is supposed to be shown in a Galleria way on tablets. I enabled the checkbox, but nothing like that happens!? Because.......?

Last edited by HuMarts (2014-03-02 20:25:24)

#2 2014-03-02 23:41:16

rod barbee
Website

Re: Irritations

Could you post a link to your site so we don't have to search for other posts that might have it?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-03-03 01:58:01

HuMarts

#4 2014-03-03 03:21:57

rod barbee
Website

you can set the galleries to display Highslide on the iPad by not checking the Catch iPads box in the On Mobile section of Output settings (that's how my galleries are set up and Highslide works fine on the iPad)

Galleria's not showing because there appears to be no block area in the mobile page. In Pages > Color Pallete > Home Page: The Block Content, set it to CE Standard and then make sure that Position the Block is set to Above the Grid. Then switch it back to Flip-Gallery. See if that makes the block area show up on the mobile.php page.

If using Photoswipe for mobile, you can have the caption show. Just set it up in the Photoswipe section of Presentation in the Appearance control pane. There are two check boxes: Display Large Image Heading and Display Large Image Caption. You can also Concatenate the two. Be sure to also set up what metatdata is shown in Image Info and if using Publisher, make sure to set up the metadata in the Publisher section of the Output Settings control pane.

As far as the mobile navigation, have you tried the various options available for Mobile Navigation Type, like Natural and Naturally Collapsible (which look the same. Naturally collapsible starts out collapsed)? (the Natural option might look closest to the desktop layout) If you add a background color and borders, it might look better.

On a usability note, I've got to say that the drop down navigation is very difficult to use on the iPad. I haven't even tried it on my iPod touch, but if the iPad is any indicator, I don't want to.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-03-03 19:00:36

HuMarts

Wel, Rod, this morning I started to implement all the tips/changes you sent me, without any success.
There is still no Full-Flip-Gallery to be seen on iPad, neither is the Galleria there to be seen on the Homepage.
A change I do see: on iPad and iPhone the Galleries are now shown in HighSlide-mode, but WITHOUT titles or captions!!?? And WITH ugly white arrows, not the kind of yellow I am using.
Thanks for the help, too bad it didn't cause any satisfying results.
(meanwhile I've  set everything back like it was on www.humarts.nl)

#6 2014-03-03 23:17:02

rod barbee
Website

I just set up a test site with the flip gallery and at first I was having the same issue on the mobile.php page: no block content is being generated.
So I went back into Pages to Color Palette>Home Page: The Block Content and switched back to Page Type: CE Standard. I then unchecked the Replace Image with Galleria Slideshow.
Then changed  Page type back to Flip-Gallery.

Then I went to Appearance and made sure Display the Grid was checked. I made sure Home Page: Staging was set to Galleria.
Re-export and upload and now it works: www.rodbarbee.com/ce-flip/

I don't know if the block not being generated for mobile.php is a bug or a feature.  It's probably needed to facilitate the flip-gallery.

It appears as if the lack of captions for Highslide on mobile is by design. There's a highslide.mobile.js javascript file on the page that adds some extra css if viewing on a mobile device. This css does a few things including setting the nav buttons (the arrows) to white as well as hiding the caption, controls, and headings.
Knowing Matt, there is a very good reason for this and he's probably explained it before. But if you want captions, then you can always use Photoswipe, which is better suited to mobile anyway.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2014-03-05 01:37:09

HuMarts

@Rod: I must say I am impressed by the perseverance you guys show, in trying to get things working like it should be. Much obliged!
At the moment I am on a short in-week-holiday in the Belgian Ardennes, but as soon as I am back home I will try what you suggested. Of course, Rod, I will let you know if things worked out right!

#8 2014-03-14 17:41:58

HuMarts

Well, Rod Barbee, you've done it again! I followed your instructions precisely and it turned out to be a succes:
- on iPad it looks very nice, in landscape, with my normal (horizontal) menu. Great!
- portraitscape-iPad shows the three-line-menu icon, below it the Galleria. Not bad, as this is not the best way to hold you iPad for this.
- on iPhone it looks the same as on portrait-iPad, which isn't too bad at all. Like I said before, in my opinion an iPhone isn't the optimal platform for showing/looking at images.
I must say I do not understand why it works now, but, to be honest with you, I don't want/need to know. I'm happy the looks have improved significantly!

Furthermore: on iPhone I like PhotoSwipe better than HighSlide: bigger display of images, without loss of useless space, and the caption-possibility. However, with this last item there's one strange problem: although I have set the display time at 7 seconds, it  doesn't change the actual display, about 1 second, way too short to be of any use! Is there another place to set the display-time in PhotoSwipe?

Anyway, for this moment thanks once again: you've made my day!
Best regards,
Huub Martens.

#9 2014-03-14 22:11:04

rod barbee
Website

I looked at one of your galleries using Photoswipe. The pictures were changing at a seven second interval for me.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2014-03-14 23:27:24

HuMarts

I was very inaccurate in explaining the (little) problem, I realized after your reply.
It was not the display-time that was way too short, but the time the caption and title info was shown.
After another good search I discovered a small section in the CE3 Theme for WordPress, where this autohide-time can be set. I changed the 1 sec. in 7 sec.: issue solved!

So more and more it's going to look and perform the way I like it. Now I must try and see how, on mobile devices, galleries are automatically shown with PhotoSwipe, and after that there's very little for me to want or wish.

#11 2014-03-14 23:31:45

rod barbee
Website

Now I must try and see how, on mobile devices, galleries are automatically shown with PhotoSwipe

If you mean having the slide show start automatically without any user action, just check the box in the Photoswipe setup to Autoplay Slideshow

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2014-03-15 00:21:25

HuMarts

I did and I also checked the boxes "Catch iPad/iPhone", which you told me to uncheck, when I wanted to have HighSlide-performance on mobile devices. So now it's all really the way I want it.
Enough for today: "Don't push you luck, Huub!"
Thanks, Rod!

Board footer