Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-23 02:51:24

ba.bolding

Need help on migrating from early TTG version - to CE3

I am considering using CE3 versions of TTG for my site. I would like to get some feedback from those who have longstanding experience using all the iterations. Note:  I've given the CE3 various plugins some time for review via site...but in general time crunch because of traveling and can't nail down every detail or question. So, info. I'm interested in as follows...

1.  Using CE3 Pages (etc.) ...can I get the same graphic layout...color, text, spacing etc. etc. - as in my original (site follows)
2. I understand basically the newer CE3 Gallery could not reproduce the "individual galleries" with the earlier "thumbnail" strip as I have presently...which I like generally.  From what I saw, this could be reproduced "approximately" with CE3 Stage...is that so?
3. Could CE3 or some component of it reproduce the present Gallery page  - or approximation of it?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated. /Brandt

www.brandtbolding.com

#2 2013-09-23 03:19:01

rod barbee
Website

Re: Need help on migrating from early TTG version - to CE3

1. Yes. It won't be exactly the same (it'll look better, in my opinion), but the design controls are basically the same as earlier TTG versions

2. yes, though you'd need to use PHPlugins to embed the flash galleries

3.  If you're talking individual galleries, you could try using the Galleria (a non-flash slide show) option with Stage. The thumbnails would be along the bottom rather than on the side.
If you're talking about your Galleries page with the index of galleries, then yes, it's the same in CE3 Pages and CE3 Autoindex

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2013-09-23 10:01:16

Matthew
Administrator
Website

2. We no longer support such configurations of Highslide, as that configuration was always pretty hacky to begin with. I think you'd be well served by the Galleria support in CE3 Stage, though. You can see an example running here:
http://ce3.theturninggate.net/galleries … slideshow/

The background needn't be black; you can make it white, pink or whatever. It's fully responsive, meaning it will scale to be viewed on tablets and phones, and support touch gestures as well as mouse navigation. Altogether, I very nice usability upgrade compared to your existing site.

Glad to see you coming back to us after so long. big_smile

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2013-09-24 00:55:05

ba.bolding

Rod and Matthew...thanks for responses...appreciate it much. Yes and with you... I do like the Galleria as an option...very nice. And Matt, very very happy with TTG even in my old/ancient interation...and wanted to....but just haven't found time to upgrade. /Brandt

#5 2013-09-25 07:53:46

ba.bolding

Question about previewing what you are working on...besides the "in-Lightroom" preview.  I saw this in some of the documentation just now...

TTG CE3 Pages exports pages as PHP documents, which require being run on a local or web-based server. You cannot view pages using Lightroom's “Preview In Browser” feature, nor can you run pages in your browser from your desktop.

I would typically use "preview in browser" frequently in past...what are the options?

#6 2013-09-25 08:19:51

rod barbee
Website

for Windows: WAMP

for Mac: MAMP

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2013-09-25 12:51:10

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Or just setup a test location online and upload stuff for testing. That's what I do most of the time.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2013-09-25 21:11:07

ba.bolding

M - couple of things, don't know what a "test location online" means exactly. Also, I saw the "Galleria Slideshow" examples once on the link above, but now it's not viewable... btw...could you check that I would like to see it again if possible. I looked at the Galleria site just now...but they have several..."official" themes... (ALSO, I have very limited knowledge about website building "technical" terms and phrases...and the component elements that going to producing them now. I know how to use Dreameaver to "fix" things on my site...but no experience with coding generally...)

Last edited by ba.bolding (2013-09-25 21:37:37)

#9 2013-09-25 22:59:40

rod barbee
Website

A test location online could be in a sub-domain or simply a test folder. It means using that sub-domain or  test folder to install your site while testing.

Looks like that particular slide show has a wee problem. You can see a galleria show on my site here on the Home page of my site or here or on the front page of the TTG demo site here.

In TTG Stage or Pages you can configure the Galleria slide show to show or not show thumbnails, information, image navigation. You can configure to allow the user to pause the show. You can set it up to have a border and frame (padding) around it. Lots of options.
more here: http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … _slideshow

If you have specific questions about terminology, just ask!

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2013-09-25 23:36:19

ba.bolding

So is the

test folder

just a folder I add to my Public HTML folder...and just put all the new site's contents in? I don't know what

sub-domain

means in this instance. I understand what the domain is...but what sub-domain is and how it relates to testing or how it is created or utilized...don't know about this  either.

#11 2013-09-26 00:07:14

rod barbee
Website

a test folder is just a folder you create inside the Public_HTML folder. If you create a site within that folder, the web address will be www.yoursite.com/test-folder/

A sub-domain gets placed in a folder inside the Public_HTML folder only it acts like it is the Public_HTML folder, it will have it's own web address. This folder is created automatically when you create the sub-domain. You need to create the sub-domain from your host's control panel.

for example, I created a sub-domain to play with setting up a site based on TTG CE3 Theme for Wordpress. I named it ttg-wp. After creating it from my host's (Blue Host) Cpanel, a folder was created in my Public_HTML folder. I then just set up the site in that folder just as if it was in the Public_HTML folder. So the test site I created has a web address of http://ttg-wp.barbeephoto.com

The advantage of using a sub-domain is that it acts like your main domain when it comes to navigation. In TTG Pages you need to set up the Site Root. If you're setting up in your Public_HTML folder, then the Site Root is just your main web address: http://yoursite.com or you can simply use the forward slash: /
You can also do this with a sub-domain.

If using a test folder, then you have to set up all your navigation to include that folder name in the path. So if you've set up a folder called "test", then in the Site Root field of Pages you'll need to enter http://yoursite.com/test/

If you do your testing in a sub-domain, once you get everything working the way you like, you can just upload it to your main site without any changes (unless using phplugins, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves)

If you do your testing in a sub-folder, then once you get everything working you'll need to make sure all your navigation, including the Site Root field, no longer have the sub-folder in any of the URLs.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2013-09-26 01:21:18

ba.bolding

I only looked at the WAMP site briefly...is the "test" folder route or the WAMP route both the same in terms of work/setup? Is one easier that the other? Let me know your thoughts on this...easier...less complicated is better for me. I don't have any experience doing these sorts of things  -  or the work flows...other than when I set up my site several years back.

#13 2013-09-26 01:52:28

rod barbee
Website

Using a virtual server like WAMP means you just need to export from Lightroom and view the results in your browser, no uploading.
By using a test site, you'll have to export and upload changes each time. The advantage of using an online test site is that it's a real world test. The disadvantage is needing to upload each change after export. But note you don't have to upload everything every time. If you just make stylistic changes like colors, fonts, drop shadows, borders, etc, you can export and just upload the css files for instance.

I like using WAMP for quick tests where I don't want to set up a test folder or sub-domain. If I need to test the functionality of an entire site, I'd rather do it in a sub-domain or sub-folder simply because there's often a lot more moving parts, like galleries, Publisher, cart, indexes, etc.

If you're just testing design for, say, a gallery or Pages, then WAMP might be easier and quicker. Once you're happy with the main design, you can use a sub-domain for final tweaking and overall functional testing.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2013-09-26 05:57:51

ba.bolding

Ok. I checked WAMPserver...and there are options for me/64 bit...either PHP 5.3, or 5.4. Does it matter which one? On another related note about PHP... I'm currently running PHP 5.3.27 through my web server...which looks to be fine for use with CE3 according this note in the docs...

PHP 5.2.6 or newer

.  Can you confirm that?

Last edited by ba.bolding (2013-09-26 05:58:59)

#15 2013-09-26 07:45:33

rod barbee
Website

your php version on the server is fine. I don't really know about the WAMP version. I think I'm running 5.3 in mine.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer