Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-19 17:25:07

lofty
Website

To Lightroom or not to Lightroom

Hi Guys,

Lots of chat on the interweb regarding the switch by Adobe to Subscription only versions of Lightroom despite stating that there would always be a perpetual license version. In light of this and Ben's reassurances on TTG's future; how do we all feel about sticking with Lightroom or jumping to another RAW editor? I have had a long look at Capture One, love it's Editing results, Speed, Interface. However it's DAM is a shadow of Lightroom. Their forums also have user complaints of upgrade costs for each new version.

So what do you think?

Jon

#2 2017-10-19 19:16:06

charlie.choc
Website

Re: To Lightroom or not to Lightroom

I like Lightroom and haven't seen anything that offers the range of features it has. The only way I'd drop it is if they went cloud only and discontinued the classic version.

#3 2017-10-19 19:37:03

markh
Website

Lightroom certainly holds all the cards but recent announcements by Adobe are troublesome. Have looked seriously at Alien Skin's Exposure, now in version X3, and ON1 Photo Raw and use parts of both of them daily. Wonderful as they are they still lack LR's versatility. Have Affinity Photo and have also looked at Capture One, both nice but not quite the best solution. While we know that nothing stays the same and adaptability is a necessary trait of a photographer the move to having everything in the cloud seems like a bad idea for dozens of reasons. Grandma always said "don't put all your eggs in one basket". My take on that is "don't put all your eggs in a cloud basket". And a really smart database programmer I met a long time ago said it even better: If you trust your data to someone else you deserve what you get.
Mark

#4 2017-10-19 22:00:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Our work here keeps me on Lightroom for the time being, but I've been out of love with Lightroom for a long time. The problem is that, while upstarts like ON1 Photo Raw exhibit much promise, they struggle to compete with Lightroom's maturity. Capture One Pro is fairly impressive and mature, but is lacking in DAM features, as you say. More and more, though, I begin to think that the switch might be worth it.

I primarily shoot Fuji these days as well, and so I'm also keen to see what Fuji has to offer with their processing software reportedly releasing in November, a desktop version of their in-camera processing engine.

Maybe Lightroom Classic will win me over as I spend more time with it, but I'm not confident. Lightroom needs to be torn apart and rebuilt. But Lightroom CC isn't the rebuild that I want.

Also ...

Much as I love the iPhone, one of the biggest reasons I have not to switch to Android is that I am invested in the ecosystem. Apps, etc. Likewise, I am invested in Lightroom's ecosystem. I've spent money on presets like VSCOs film simulations. I've invested time and energy into learn Lightroom's tools and crafting my technique around them. Everything I've built in the Web module. Backlight and Publish Services. Jeffrey Friedl's wonderful plugins, and so on ...

With Lightroom CC, Adobe is taking all of that away from me. They've even robbed me of the Tone Curve. What the hell? Without my ecosystem ... well, if I eventually say goodbye to Lightroom Classic, good odds I'll be saying hello to Adobe's competition. Capture One Pro being the most likely contender, but I own ON1 Photo Raw and I'm keeping an eye on them to see what they bring to the table over time. And I also wish they'd get a new UI designer. It's so ugly ... meanwhile, Lightroom CC looks great, but I don't think it IS great ...

In any case, when Backlight is eventually independent of Lightroom, apart from keeping it around for Backlight testing and development purposes, all bets are off as to whether I'll be sticking with it for personal use.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2017-10-19 22:53:20

markh
Website

Matt, Is that a standalone app I smell lurking in the shadows? Something that does FTP to a Backlight installation from the desktop? Hints?
Mark

#6 2017-10-19 23:32:47

yates

I have been using Lightroom (the standalone version) for several years and find it very useful.  I especially like how easy it is to add photos to my web site with Backlight.  However, Adobe's recent announcement that they are killing the standalone version of Lightroom means that I will eventually have to find some other software to use instead of Lightroom.  Would it be possible to have a version of Backlight that can be used without Lightroom?

Last edited by yates (2017-10-19 23:36:08)

#7 2017-10-19 23:44:08

rod barbee
Website

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#8 2017-10-20 05:53:14

Ben

markh wrote:

Matt, Is that a standalone app I smell lurking in the shadows? Something that does FTP to a Backlight installation from the desktop? Hints?
Mark

An excellent idea but not something we're likely to have the resources to build any time soon.  I'm wary of over-selling the independence from Lightroom:  While we'll have a way of creating and populating albums independent of LR, an alternative desktop client may be a while off.

#9 2017-11-11 01:38:35

Mathena

Ben wrote:
markh wrote:

Mark

An excellent idea but not something we're likely to have the resources to build any time soon.  I'm wary of over-selling the independence from Lightroom:  While we'll have a way of creating and populating albums independent of LR, an alternative desktop client may be a while off.

That would be great indeed. Maybe one day, like you said.

Last edited by Mathena (2021-11-03 07:21:57)

#10 2018-10-20 00:44:59

capnhooke
Website

Please build that standalone program,  I'm becoming more and more frustrated with Lightroom and refuse to pay 10.00/month to Adobe.!!!!!

I've made the switch to Affinity and find it far superior.

thom

#11 2018-10-20 01:25:10

kolohe280

Have you looked at Backlight2?  It's not a standalone program (well, from an ex-system-programmer point of view, no desktop app is standalone), but it doesn't require Lightroom.

#12 2018-10-22 04:37:57

Matthew
Administrator
Website

As he says, Backlight 2 -- at last! -- does not require Lightroom. Everything can be done in Backlight's admin, in your web-browser.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer