Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-03 15:24:22

andacar
Website

Font Awesome and Social Media Icons Section

I'm loving the changes so far in Backlight 1.2. I have several questions but will stick to one topic at a time.

I've never used Font Awesome. Is it a service I have to subscribe to or pay for? I've entered the Font Awesome icon name for Facebook, and entered my URL in the new Social Media section of the template. Backlight adds a little "people plus" icon to the top right corner of my page. If you click on it, it shows the wrong icon, but it does link to my Facebook account.

How do I find the correct icon? Can I have the icons appear in the footer without the people plus thing, like before? How can I make them bigger?

Thanks!

Darrell Leland

"Never go creeping around old castles at night; you may find what you're looking for."
- Grimsley

#2 2017-07-03 15:57:10

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Font Awesome and Social Media Icons Section

You do not need to pay or subscribe to use Font Awesome. All of the files are included with Backlight and hosted with the application on your server.

You can check the icon reference page on Font Awesome's website to see what's available for use:
http://fontawesome.io/icons/

The "people-plus" icon is there to save space, if you want to put your navigation up there, or if you're otherwise filling the top pallet with things. If you only have one or two social links and prefer not to have the "people-plus" icon, you can set the toolbox slider to zero in the social media options in your template.

As for putting them in the footer, it's not supported with options. However, you can craft your own footer via PHPlugins. I might put together a tutorial how to do that at some point, but I've got other tutorials and videos I need to make that are a higher priority for me right now.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-07-04 01:24:09

andacar
Website

Got it. Thanks Matthew!

Darrell Leland

"Never go creeping around old castles at night; you may find what you're looking for."
- Grimsley

#4 2017-07-04 01:26:27

rod barbee
Website

I'm working on a blog post about replacing the footer with one of your own. Even includes social media icons. Based on this page:
http://pangolin.barbeephoto.com/?page=main-site

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-07-04 02:04:24

andacar
Website

Sounds cool Rob. Thanks.

I've gotten the social media icon section working, but I've run into one other problem. I've gotten the correct icon names from Font Awesome (fa fa-facebook in this case), but the page always shows the same flag icon regardless of which name I specify. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by andacar (2017-07-04 02:05:14)

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#6 2017-07-04 02:09:29

charlie.choc
Website

You don't need the "fa " before the icon name. Try just facebook or facebook-official.

#7 2017-07-04 02:48:44

andacar
Website

Ah! That worked. You know much that is not known!

Thanks!

Darrell Leland

- Grimsley

#8 2017-07-04 03:08:14

charlie.choc
Website

smile

#9 2017-07-04 08:09:58

rod barbee
Website

custom footer with social media profile icons: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … -pangolin/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer