Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-12 00:18:07

mjenich

Where to start

I'm ready to start with Backlight although I have yet to purchase. I currently have a CE4 that includes Auto Index, and an Enabler, Gallery, Pages, Publisher, TTB BE and View Point Sizer. The most important question before I purchase is, can I continue to have Fotomoto integrated in Backlight. Assuming I can continue to use Fotomoto, is there a central place for information to help with the transition from CE4 to Backlight?  I've watched Matt's Introduction to Backlight on You tube.

#2 2016-11-12 01:03:22

rod barbee
Website

Re: Where to start

yes you can still use Fotomoto.
-Resources include the Backlight documentation: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php
If you're using CE4 Publisher, migration is pretty easy, see docs.
-The forum, including the Tips and Tricks forum.

I've also posted about converting a non-publisher CE4 site on my ttg-tips site:
http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-11-12 23:11:59

mjenich

Thanks for your response. I read through everything that you provided in the links. The Installation process looks straight forward. But the rest does not. I'm wondering what would happen to the CE4 folders that I installed in the web galleries and web templates folders and now show up in LR? Wouldn't easier to simply remove those folders, install Backlight, design new pages in Backlight and then upload the old galleries. I've saved them all as collections.

#4 2016-11-13 00:13:18

rod barbee
Website

are the galleries on your CE4 site exported and uploaded or are they Publisher managed albums?

Wouldn't easier to simply remove those folders, install Backlight, design new pages in Backlight and then upload the old galleries. I've saved them all as collections.

Sure. I'm going to assume you weren't using Publisher in CE4 then? If you don't mind having old galleries off line while you re-publish everything, then just nuking your old CE4 site and starting fresh would probably be easiest.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-11-13 03:39:39

mjenich

My galleries are publisher managed...I think. To publish in LR my practice has been to go to publish services and CE4 publisher with the TTG Icon shows in one of the bars. I create an album and upload the collection and the images how up on my site. I think that means they are publisher managed. Correct?

#6 2016-11-13 03:47:39

charlie.choc
Website

Since I have my own server I just created a new directory to install backlight in and migrated what I could from my CE4 directory, leaving the CE4 directory intact as a backup. Don't know if you have that option when a server is hosted by a provider, though. I also created  I also created another publisher service in LR and set up the same collections that I had in my CE4 instance.

#7 2016-11-13 03:51:13

rod barbee
Website

mjenich wrote:

My galleries are publisher managed...I think. To publish in LR my practice has been to go to publish services and CE4 publisher with the TTG Icon shows in one of the bars. I create an album and upload the collection and the images how up on my site. I think that means they are publisher managed. Correct?

Then you can use the Publisher migration tool in Backlight
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _backlight

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-11-15 07:34:35

mjenich

I bought Backlight and am trying to install it.  I'm using File Zilla and can't find how to "show invisable files" as I can't see the htacces and Index.php files. In FileZilla I tried Server>Force Showing Hidden Files. Didn't Work. Any ideas?

#9 2016-11-15 07:50:59

rod barbee
Website

where are you trying to see those files?
If it's on your computer from your download, then it's a system setting.
If you're on Windows, go to Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View. Under Hidden files and folders, click the Show hidden files.... radio button.

Can't help you with Mac

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2016-11-15 08:00:42

mjenich

They are showing up in Windows but not File Zilla.

#11 2016-11-15 08:10:42

rod barbee
Website

you're not seeing them in the left hand window of Filezilla (the local files) or the right side (the server files)?
Have you uploaded them to the root of the site (not the backlight/ folder)?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2016-11-15 10:12:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Not a FileZilla user personally, so can't vouch for it, but this might be helpful:
http://www.tech-evangelist.com/2006/03/ … den-files/

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#13 2016-11-15 10:34:42

mjenich

In filezilla I'm seeing them on the left side.  I dragged the Backlight folder from the left side to the public_html folder on the right side. I found the two files (htaccess and index.php) in the admin folder in the Backlight folder. But the htaccess folder is labeled disabled. BTW- I did not drag the Publisher folder over.

also when I go to my site, nothing has changed. All my photos are the same. I watched the You tube video and tried to replicate what matt did. I got a message that the setup was successful.

#14 2016-11-15 11:38:53

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I'm not sure I follow where you are with your install, Martin. The downloaded zip should contain the following:

/backlight
/galleries
index.php
.htaccess

You will need to copy all of these together onto your host server.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#15 2016-11-15 11:41:42

rod barbee
Website

I found the two files (htaccess and index.php) in the admin folder in the Backlight folder.

Did you purchase Backlight + Pages?
Because that would be the only reason you need to copy over the index.php and .htaccess files. And they're not found in the backlight/admin/ folder. They're in the unzipped Backlight-Pages-110 folder.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2016-11-16 00:04:58

mjenich

I purchased Backlight and Pages. I'm making progress but ran into a problem. I got Backlight (BL) installed on my site. I can get to the Dashboard and when I go to my site I see that BL is there. 1. I can see my old galleries when I click on the Galleries tab, is that correct?

Now I'm trying to install publisher in LR. In LR File>Plug in Manager, I see that Backlight is installed and running and the pathway in the Status section shows backlight. It also shows the TTG CE4 Publisher is disabled. However, when I go to Lightroom (LR) in the Library module and in Publishing Services the TTG CE4 Publisher is the only TTG option available. I double clicked on it I went to LR Publishing Manager and the path seems to be TTG CE4 publisher. Ideas?

#17 2016-11-16 00:24:58

rod barbee
Website

I can see my old galleries when I click on the Galleries tab, is that correct?

I don't know. How about a link? If your old site is still intact and the link leads to galleries.php, then I'm not surprised you'd see your old Galleries page (if that's what you're seeing)

Now I'm trying to install publisher in LR. In LR File>Plug in Manager, I see that Backlight is installed and running and the pathway in the Status section shows backlight.

Huh? Backlight is not a Lightroom plug-in to be installed with the Plug-in Manager.

How exactly are you going about installing the Publisher plug-in? It should be in your unzipped backlight-pages folder from your download. That's where you should tell the Plug-in Manager to look:

backlight/
galleries/
TTG-Publisher.lrplugin/
index.php
readme.txt

For me, I find it easier to simply copy the TTG-Publisher.lrplugin/ folder and paste it into the ...Lightroom/Modules/ folder. The location of this folder depends on your OS. In windows it's at:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2016-11-16 00:53:57

mjenich

Here's what I did. In LR I went to File>Plug in Manager> Add>clicked on TTG-Publisher.lrplugin. It shows up in the left column and it says it's installed and running. It also says the TTG CE4 is disabled. But when I go to Publisher services in the Library Module, the only TTG option that shows is TTG CE4. When I double click on it I get the path to CE4 on my site with TTG-Be/publisher at the end of the address. Do I change that manually in the Publisher API Details?

#19 2016-11-16 01:00:55

rod barbee
Website

the new TTG Publisher should replace the CE4 Publisher under Publish Services in Lightroom

When I double click on it I get the path to CE4 on my site with TTG-Be/publisher at the end of the address. Do I change that manually in the Publisher API Details?

You'll need to put in the path to the Backlight publisher. Put your API key in the Publisher Settings in Backlight. Migrate your CE4 Publisher controlled albums and sets to Backlight:
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _backlight

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2016-11-16 07:07:02

mjenich

I'm now doing the migration. I completed steps 1 to 5 in the directions to perform migration.I guess that s called migrating in the backend.  I'm at the point where I'm trying to change the API URL for each Publisher instance in LR. Not sure what a Publisher Instance is. I tried double clicking on an album. I don't think thats a Publisher Instance. I got an message that it was "unable to perform action getsetupfortemplate"

I tried double clicking on TTG Publisher and got the LR Publishing Manager. The URL was already filled in accurately. it reads: http://martinjenichphotography.com/backlight/publisher/. The API is also accurate. But when I checked the authentication, it said, it was not successful please check the URL and API key. suggestions?

#21 2016-11-16 07:10:00

Ben

Can you try using your API key from CE4?  The back-end migration copies over the entire Publisher database, including the API Key.
If that fails, try setting the API key again in Backlight, via Backlight > Publisher > Settings then use that new API Key in your LR settings.

#22 2016-11-16 07:28:47

rod barbee
Website

Not sure what a Publisher Instance is.

When you first set up Publisher to publish to your galleries/ folder, you created a Publisher instance.

Let's say you want to create another top-level galleries folder in Backlight. Perhaps for client albums. And say you want to manage these albums separately from your other albums. You can create another instance of Publisher for this.

Just right click on the heading of your original publisher instance and choose "Create another Publish Service via "TTG Publisher".

When you do this you'll see the Publisher setup dialog box. Change the top-level galleries folder, give the service a description  and save. The API URL and Key should have already been filled out. You can also check authentication just to make sure.

Anyway, that's how to create another Publisher instance.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#23 2016-11-16 08:23:40

mjenich

I think it's working. I simply followed Bens suggestion and when back to backlight publisher settings and reentered the same APIkey. For good measure I reentered it in LR publishing manager, checked authentication and it was successful. I went to the first albumin Plublished Services and republished it. How to I know that it actually being managed by backlight?

#24 2016-11-16 08:50:44

rod barbee
Website

How to I know that it actually being managed by backlight?

By the API URL. If it's http://yoursite.com/backlight/publisher/, then it's being managed by Backlight.
Is it also using a template you made in Backlight?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#25 2016-11-16 10:46:31

mjenich

When I double click on the TTG Publisher I get the Publishing Manager. In there the address appears exactly as you described above. The authentication check was successful. 1. That means all my albums in Publishing Services are managed by Backlight, correct? 2. And I don't have to do anything else to any of the specific albums, correct?
3. In CE4 I had a Fotomoto link to all my images. How do I re-establish the fotomoto connection?
4. Are there specific tutorials to help with the design of my site? i've watched Matt's you tube video where he quickly ran through some of the features. Are there more video's or printed literature somewhere?

Board footer