Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-15 00:53:02

speacock110

Juxtapose help

Is there any guidance notes for using Juxtapose. Ie when using juxtapose with multiple image pairs making sure the correct ones overlap, Sort by file name at the moment. but this does not put the pairs in the correct order.

Image size as there is no fit to screen, etc. My images are all of the screen in different ways depending on aspect ratio

Last edited by speacock110 (2016-09-15 00:53:46)

#2 2016-09-15 01:08:01

rod barbee
Website

Re: Juxtapose help

I think you just need to arrange the images in pairs in the Publisher collection. Just move them around in Publisher then choose one to republish. They should then all fall in the order you set.

there is a Max Width setting at the top of the Album Settings section. That controls the width of all images. So verticals will end up being larger than horizontals if their mixed in the same album.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-09-15 05:57:31

speacock110

Thanks but it does not really do the job with mixed aspect ratio images. Not having much luck with custom CSS either.

I was hoping to create sample albums using client images to show them the before and after and a general album with possible post processing examples, currently I would have to have one for landscape images and portrait images.

This would even be the case for a generic sample album, where I have more control over aspect ratio, for all clients to choose options from.

Last edited by speacock110 (2016-09-15 06:21:57)

#4 2016-09-22 06:18:55

speacock110

I have Spent some time playing with Juxtapose and unfortunately I have had to come to the conclusion that due to its lack of support for portrait images, and missed aspect ration images it is unusable in its current state. As a one off using the code from the juxtapose web site it is fine . but within an album its not.

#5 2016-10-19 06:15:41

michilge
Website

I also tried Juxtapose now and found no problem mixing portrait and landscape images in one album as long as the images are in correct order. I arranged them pairwise in LR before uploading. #1 and #2 (both vertical) are treated as the first comparison and #3 and #4 (both horizontal) as the second. I even tried mixing them up just to see if the correct order can be reestablished by republishing without sending the actual photos. I rearranged them to #3, #2, #4, #1 in LR and still had two comparisons.
This time a landscape and a portrait image were compared which is not desirable in most cases but at least does not break the page and can be mended by changing order in LR again.

My example is here: http://fotos.michilge.de/galleries/unterwegs/Handsker/ I leave it online for some time in case You want to take a look.

What might be considered as a limitation is that for each pair a full-size juxtaposition is built. There are no thumbnails from which to chose which image pair will be loaded into one comparison.
This might be an idea for further development.
For my purposes the way it works is perfectly OK. To communicate the overall style of a series with a client I rarely use more than one example.

What I found but believe to be an issue of JuxtaposeJS instead of Backlight is that in Firefox a vertical slider does not work properly. When I click on the slider to move it, the mouse-pointer jumps to a position 160px above the slider. I can't move the slider to the top and once it has been moved to the 160px-high area on the bottom it can't be pulled up at all.
But such a problem has been reported for JuxtaposeJS in other context.

What might be of interest for people who use the Wordpress Theme for Backlight:
There is a working Juxtapose-plugin for WP by Federico Cingolani that integrates JuxtaposeJS into WP. The plugin is hosted on GitHub, but the installation is standard WP-style. And the appearance is consitent with the way Juxtapose looks and behaves in Backlight. The images can be uploaded to WP and need not be sent to Northwestern University Knight Lab.

An example post on my blog is here: http://fotos.michilge.de/blog/juxtapose … stalliert/

#6 2016-10-19 07:00:38

speacock110

Thanks unfortunately mine works exactly the same as yours it is the responsible resizing that is based on width not height. so if you resize yours to landscape/ tablet the portrait is not resized so is of the screen, yet the landscape image is OK. There is not option to set image height only width. So mixing and maintaining a full window image is not possible

#7 2016-10-19 07:28:32

michilge
Website

Have a look at my example album now.
I went to the Image Settings section of my album template and set the width to the maximum of 2000 and height to 640.
I had to reupload the images. The moment when the size is applied is the upload. not the rendering of the page.
Backlight has applied the height constraint to both. I now have a portrait and a landscape comparison both with a height of 640.
As the proportions are maintained the width constraint to 2000 is not in effect.
This is what I would have expected.

#8 2016-10-21 02:31:19

michilge
Website

Having tried the juxtapose plugin for Wordpress I must say that I would appreciate if the [juxtapose]-shortcode would be integrated into the Backlight-WP-Theme someday.

My test post with a juxtapose image pair loads the files juxtapose.js and juxtapose.css from the cloud. Not only s3.amazonaws.com takes surprisingly long to deliver the bits, I generally prefer self hosted files especially when it comes to active content like scripts.

#9 2016-10-21 13:01:06

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Interesting to hear that the Juxtapose plugin loads assets from the cloud. Thanks for letting me know.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#10 2016-10-21 17:18:10

michilge
Website

The plugin may very well be from a third party author, but the adress is http://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.knightlab.c … xtapose.js
which looks like the juxtapose authors put that up there.

Anyway, I like the way You chose better. Also avoids the risk that the cloud hosted version changes in a way that won't work with Backlight.

Board footer