Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-06 04:36:18

spcole
Website

Auto File renaming

I see that Backlight suffers from the CE4 problem when Lightroom renames file upon export.

Is there going to be a fix for this? Or is there a way of being able to do this upon certain conditions?

I'd like to auto rename my files based upon the album in which they reside.

Thanks,

Stephen

#2 2016-05-06 05:34:17

rod barbee
Website

Re: Auto File renaming

I see that Backlight suffers from the CE4 problem when Lightroom renames file upon export.

This is not a CE4 or Backlight issue. All file naming is controlled by Lightroom. Backlight has nothing to do with it.

The only way you can rename based on album is to do so in Lightroom. You can set up as many file naming templates as you need to and rename prior to publishing.
One thought is to set up a file naming template that requires custom text in part of the file name.
In Publisher settings, you can then choose the file naming preset you've created. This seems to actually rename the files, but in the test I just ran, the filename displayed on the thumbnail and on the large image is the original file name. So I'm guessing that all the metadate info is sent up to the server before the files are actually renamed.

So your best option is to rename (export with new name and add to catalog) prior to publishing.

But doesn't his create a mismatch between file names in your catalog and file names in galleries?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-06 10:23:39

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Auto File renaming

Well, it's a Publisher "issue" ... though less an issue, and more a design choice.

Lightroom's Publish Services handles image renditions in a batch. For the sake of example, let's say I'm publishing 10 images and that my gallery has two renditions, photos and thumbnails.

According to how the Lightroom's API suggests writing a publish service, it would begin it's publish job by rendering the 10 photo renditions; when complete, it would then render the 10 thumbnails.

That all sounds fine, right? At first.

So we start a job, Lightroom is five images into rendering its photo renditions, then the application crashes. Or your computer freezes. Or the power goes out. Or the server connection breaks.

That's five photo rendition images you have online, and no thumbnails. You go back into Lightroom and press publish again, and it starts at the beginning of the job. Ten images, no big deal. But what about if you're publishing 100? 200? Maybe you're an hour into a two-hour job when the crash occurs.

Or maybe you just need to cancel a long publish job because you've got to leave the coffee shop to pick up your kids from school, or to free up system resources for another task, or I don't know ... you're just really itching to play a game of Hearthstone.

Next time you start up, you've got to start all over again.

That's how Lightroom's Publish Services API works, and that with all of that, you'd be able to have your file renaming.

What we do instead is this:

Rather than having Lightroom publish in batches, we break up the publishing task so that each image is an isolated job. Lightroom renders the first image's photo, and that job is done. Then it renders the thumbnail, and that job is done. Then the second photo, and the second thumbnail, and then the third, etc.

This allows you to view progress as it's happening, rather than all at once when it's done. This allows you to break the job, and resume it later. But it also means that Lightroom cannot rename images sequentially on publish, because every new job begins at number 1.

That's a small tradeoff, we feel. And because of the way our cart and client response plugins work, the images you have online should be a name-match for the images in your library anyway, so you shouldn't be renaming your files on export anyway.

So there you have it; not an issue, but a design choice we've made to solve a commonly occurring problem.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer