Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-01 19:24:17

dvdfan001

write in purchase button

In the documentation I found:
"So as an example, you might use CE4 Stage to create a product page. You setup a Galleria slideshow featuring images relating to your product, highlighting specific features or qualities. In the block, you provide a product description and a purchase button. The purchase button adds the item to CE4 Cart for checkout."

What is exactly meant with the "item"? All images making up the stage slideshow?

I set up this write in purchase button
In the “add-to-cart” class I have to specify the item ID (A unique identifier for the item being sold) - for example Test
transactionless checkout, Customer gets info with status pending payment. The first attribute filename has no value. Why?
In Cart Admin | manage | edit: I can upload a file. Where is this file stored on the server?
Marking the order as paid and going back to the download link the customer got the status is download, but there is still no filename shown. Why?
Using Safari the downloaded file is named cart (without any extension) What is the reason for that strange renaming?
Doing the same in Firefox will result looks like: z9L_T_1f.jpg

Another Example:
I want to place a purchase button in the block for downlaoding an image for free.
Where do I have to specify which conrete image it is?- any relationship to the item ID? Only by uploading the file in cart admin afterwards? Last would be not a good workflow because it is an extra effort after the customer has "ordered" the free download.

Last edited by dvdfan001 (2016-04-01 21:58:05)

#2 2016-04-01 22:43:07

rod barbee
Website

Re: write in purchase button

What is exactly meant with the "item"? All images making up the stage slideshow?

First thing to realize is that the purpose of write-in buttons is to sell products other than images. So the "item" can be just about anything. On my site I have write in buttons to sell books and spaces in workshops. If you wanted one on a Stage slide show page, it could be for a dvd of the slide show, all images in a zipped file you'd email to the customer, etc.

In the “add-to-cart” class I have to specify the item ID

actually, add this to data-item=, not the class.

The first attribute filename has no value. Why?

Not sure what you mean. There is no filename attribute in the button code.

In Cart Admin | manage | edit: I can upload a file. Where is this file stored on the server?

I've not tried this, but I would assume that it would go into the 'photos-for-purchase' folder of the album/gallery in question.

Another Example:
I want to place a purchase button in the block for downlaoding an image for free.

If you're wanting to do this in a gallery/album, it won't work. Write in buttons only work in Pages, Stage, Autoindex, and WordPress pages.
Plus, this isn't the purpose of the write in buttons. They have no link to images on the page from which your customer could choose. This would be better done with a coupon code set at the value of one download.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-04-01 23:32:19

rod barbee
Website

After a quick test, I'm not sure that digital downloads will work with write-in buttons. I created a button to sell a pdf e-book.
Upon a test purchase, there's a message that states "    Pending file preparation". Not sure if the reason is because it's a pdf or what.
The instruction indicate that the file name must match exactly that of the same file in the photos/ folder. So I uploaded the pdf to the photos/ folder as well. But that didn't make it work.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2016-04-02 00:09:11

rod barbee
Website

I'll amend that last response. Simply uploading the file via FTP won't make it available for download. I had to upload it via the Cart Admin.
Then it worked! I'm guessing that this is so that the cart knows it's there.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-04-02 01:39:53

dvdfan001

Ok, now I understand the purpose of write in buttons (not to be used in connection the images because the is no link to the images)

this point is nethertheless strange:
I tested a write in button on a page with a gallery template although you stated that this will not work.
Buttons work regardless ot activating cart functionality in publisher settings or not.

Not sure what you mean. There is no filename attribute in the button code.

I did not mean a filename attribute in the button code. The overview you saw when you got the message "Pending file preparation" has left hand a column Filename with no input in the cell. Even after uploading (via cart admin) the file this situation remains unchanged.

I did a search on my server: the files could not be found. I do not really understand this function "upload file"

Last edited by dvdfan001 (2016-04-02 01:41:09)

#6 2016-04-02 02:22:16

rod barbee
Website

I tested a write in button on a page with a gallery template although you stated that this will not work.
Buttons work regardless ot activating cart functionality in publisher settings or not.

Ben must have changed that. According to the docs, it only works in Stage, Pages, Autoindex, and WordPress.

I did a search on my server: the files could not be found. I do not really understand this function "upload file"

Looks like it's getting uploaded to the /ttg-be/data/cart/digital_purchases/ folder as some sort of encrypted file

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer