Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-16 04:08:35

HaraldJ
Website

Updating galleries from CE3 to CE4

The new CE4 configuration seems to be almost complete. Updating the existing CE3 website, with a lot of galleries containing a lot of photos, is going to be the next major, and critical, task.

I have read the document about migrating existing albums from CE3 to CE4 Publisher, but before I run the migration, I'd like to ask the experts:

1) I'm aware that, after the migration, I cant use CE3 Publisher to manage the galleries. Will the website still work, when all the TTG modules are still the CE3 versions, or do I have to do the Publisher migration and the CE3 to CE4 file replacements at the same time?

2) Will the migration tool populate the Publisher database with image metadata, to allow the use of the Publisher search after the migration?

3) Will the migration tool create a similar file structure as the one it found in the CE3 instance, for the new CE4 album sets and albums?

4) What's the best way to deal with different template names? All my CE3 templates names begin with "CE3_", so I obviously don't want those in CE4.

5) After the migration, can I manage the freshly converted galleries with the CE4 Publisher plugin?

6) Are there any known issues that could happen, or that I should be aware of, before I click the OK button in the Migrate Publisher tool?

Sorry for the long list, I don't want my busy website down because I overlooked something.

Thanks!!!

Harald

Harald Joergens ARPS
Harald Joergens Photography
Nutfield, Surrey, UK

#2 2016-01-16 05:05:58

rod barbee
Website

Re: Updating galleries from CE3 to CE4

1) I'm aware that, after the migration, I cant use CE3 Publisher to manage the galleries. Will the website still work, when all the TTG modules are still the CE3 versions, or do I have to do the Publisher migration and the CE3 to CE4 file replacements at the same time?

the CE3 version design will be still be there until you change the template. If you export and upload a CE4 Gallery template with the same name as your CE3 template, then you won't have to go through each album and change the template, it will just happen automatically.

2) Will the migration tool populate the Publisher database with image metadata, to allow the use of the Publisher search after the migration?

As long as the metadata was there to begin with.

3) Will the migration tool create a similar file structure as the one it found in the CE3 instance, for the new CE4 album sets and albums?

folder/file structure won't change. The only change is that the CE4 version of Publisher is now controlling the album sets and albums.

4) What's the best way to deal with different template names? All my CE3 templates names begin with "CE3_", so I obviously don't want those in CE4.

I faced the same situation. I just uploaded new templates and then went through each album set and album and changed templates.

5) After the migration, can I manage the freshly converted galleries with the CE4 Publisher plugin?

Yes. That's the whole point. wink

6) Are there any known issues that could happen, or that I should be aware of, before I click the OK button in the Migrate Publisher tool?

As far as I know, just the ones listed in the documentation. Particularly the requirement that you haven't published anything with CE4 Publisher prior to migration.

Apart from the migration, there is one thing that could be an issue: image sizes. If you create a new CE4 template that uses different large image and thumbnail image sizes, you'll need to republish all albums. And when you do, go to Publisher Settings and make sure that the "Push metadata without updating existing photos" box is unchecked.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-01-16 06:08:30

HaraldJ
Website

rod barbee wrote:

the CE3 version design will be still be there until you change the template. If you export and upload a CE4 Gallery template with the same name as your CE3 template, then you won't have to go through each album and change the template, it will just happen automatically.

As long as the metadata was there to begin with.

folder/file structure won't change. The only change is that the CE4 version of Publisher is now controlling the album sets and albums.

I faced the same situation. I just uploaded new templates and then went through each album set and album and changed templates.

Yes. That's the whole point. wink

As far as I know, just the ones listed in the documentation. Particularly the requirement that you haven't published anything with CE4 Publisher prior to migration.

Apart from the migration, there is one thing that could be an issue: image sizes. If you create a new CE4 template that uses different large image and thumbnail image sizes, you'll need to republish all albums. And when you do, go to Publisher Settings and make sure that the "Push metadata without updating existing photos" box is unchecked.

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the detailed response, it helps a lot!

One thing isn't yet clear to me:

Assume all my CE3 galleries use template CE3temp, and I have set up a new template for CE4, CE4temp.

I run the migration tool, with TTG-BE in place, but the actual website still running CE3.

Will the migration tool then put a modified CE3temp into the ttg-be/galleries directory?

When I replace the CE3 files with CE4, will the website, and all galleries, still work with the updated CE3temp, or will they be dead until I manually swap templates in CE4 Publisher?

Thanks!!!

Harald

Harald Joergens ARPS
Nutfield, Surrey, UK

#4 2016-01-16 06:21:01

rod barbee
Website

Will the migration tool then put a modified CE3temp into the ttg-be/galleries directory?

your CE3 template will not be modified as far as I know. I do believe that it will be placed in the /ttg-be/templates/gallery/ folder. I did my migration well over a year ago so I have to go by memory. I don't recall any problems at all.

What I can tell you is that when I did my migration, the old albums were all still where I expected them to be and they still looked like the old site until I assigned the new template to them. It all went really smoothly.

When I replace the CE3 files with CE4, will the website, and all galleries, still work with the updated CE3temp, or will they be dead until I manually swap templates in CE4 Publisher?

the rest of the site itself won't be affected by new gallery and autoindex templates. Only your album sets and albums will be affected.

Your albums will look like they used to until you change templates.

you'll see some CE3 related .xml files (as well as some php files) in the galleries/ folder and in the existing album set and album folders. I believe these can just be deleted once you update everything to CE4 templates. But to be sure, just rename them first and make sure everything is still working correctly before finally deleting them.
Mine are actually still in those folders. They're so small that I haven't bothered to delete them.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-01-16 17:00:50

HaraldJ
Website

rod barbee wrote:

your CE3 template will not be modified as far as I know. I do believe that it will be placed in the /ttg-be/templates/gallery/ folder. I did my migration well over a year ago so I have to go by memory. I don't recall any problems at all.

What I can tell you is that when I did my migration, the old albums were all still where I expected them to be and they still looked like the old site until I assigned the new template to them. It all went really smoothly.

the rest of the site itself won't be affected by new gallery and autoindex templates. Only your album sets and albums will be affected.

Your albums will look like they used to until you change templates.

you'll see some CE3 related .xml files (as well as some php files) in the galleries/ folder and in the existing album set and album folders. I believe these can just be deleted once you update everything to CE4 templates. But to be sure, just rename them first and make sure everything is still working correctly before finally deleting them.
Mine are actually still in those folders. They're so small that I haven't bothered to delete them.

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much, that all sounds very reassuring!

There is another update feature in the TTG-BE Publisher Admin, the "Special link" called "Update Album Files". It says "This function updates the supporting files for all Albums and Album Sets".

1) Is this to be used together with the Lightroom migration tool?
2) If yes, I guess it should be run after the Lightroom migration?
3) What does it do?

Thank you very much, with your help I'm getting somewhere!

Harald

Harald Joergens ARPS
Nutfield, Surrey, UK

#6 2016-01-16 22:30:23

rod barbee
Website

To be honest, I've never needed to use the "Update album files" link. I think it's used only when you need to make soecific changes to Publisher related files. I don't think you'll ever need to use it unless instructed to do so by Ben.
I found this reference with a forum search:
http://community.theturninggate.net/post/33690/#p33690

So you shouldn't need to use that link as part of the migration.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer