Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-16 09:28:37

johnbrks
Website

Published gallery template does not overwrite CE4 Pages Gallery page

I've encountered this problem again, even though i have not changed anything.  when my gallery page is loaded, it does not display the gallery template (which is in ttg-be/templates/gallery and selected in Publisher).

Instead of the text in the gallery template, the CE4 text is displayed along with a large slide show image at the top.

I have double checked in CE4 pages->Appearance->The Gallery->Allow Page replacement by CE4 Publisher is set to 'yes'.

(direct link is http://joliverbrooks.com/galleries.php)

what am i missing?
thanks

#2 2015-09-16 09:45:12

rod barbee
Website

Re: Published gallery template does not overwrite CE4 Pages Gallery page

you don't have an album in your galleries/ folder to act as a replacement. There should be an album with the slug "pages-gallery". There isn't one:
http://joliverbrooks.com/galleries/pages-gallery

I have double checked in CE4 pages->Appearance->The Gallery->Allow Page replacement by CE4 Publisher is set to 'yes'.

which page are you replacing. What do you have set for "page assignment"?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-09-16 10:00:36

johnbrks
Website

this was working and then it stopped for reason's i'm not sure of.

i want to replace the default CE4 Pages "gallery" page with the gallery page generated by Publisher using my template.

I do have two albums i published from CE4 publisher.

if you go to this page http://joliverbrooks.com/galleries.php
and scroll down a bit below the large picture (which i don't want there), you will see the two albums.

isn't Publisher supposed to generate the pages-gallery album?

#4 2015-09-16 10:07:17

rod barbee
Website

If you want to replace the Galleries page with a publisher generated album (from either CE4 Gallery or Stage), you'll need to create the album in Publisher and set the slug to be "pages-gallery" (without the quotes)
It's all here in the docs: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _home_page

that document talks about replacing the Home page, but you can replace the Galleries page by setting "Galleries" as the page assignment.

I'm pretty sure that if you replace your Galleries page with an album, you'll lose the autoindexing feature.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-09-16 10:50:09

johnbrks
Website

i published a default album to pages-gallery.  now that is all shows up.  then if i click galleries in the breadcrumb i get a page not found. All this did was direct the gallery page to the default album (and no longer show the two albums i have published).  it did not use the template i selected in publisher.  the large image at the top was gone, however.

this used to work exactly as i wanted.  i could style the gallery in the template and then the albums appeared on it and the template replaced the CE4 Pages gallery.  i've never explicitly slugged pages-gallery before.

it seems that the template specified under ttg-be is not being applied.  i have the following settings in Pages->theGallery:
Page Assignment -Galleries
Priority - Beneath Content
Gallery Type - Galleria Slideshow
Allow Page Replacement ... - Yes

1. All I want on the Gallery page is an Album Index without the large photo at the top.  I thought I needed to do this by setting it up in Galleries?
2. The gallery pages (with the thumbnails of an album) are not inheriting the phplugin settings from CE4 Pages (e.g., note that after going into a gallery the navigation bar is right justified, rather than left.)  shouldn't these properties be inherited?

Last edited by johnbrks (2015-09-16 14:18:08)

#6 2015-09-16 19:18:34

rod barbee
Website

i published a default album to pages-gallery.

do you mean the default album that Lightroom sticks in Publisher? If so, that won't work. Delete it, and create a new album, giving it the slug "pages-gallery"

1. All I want on the Gallery page is an Album Index without the large photo at the top.  I thought I needed to do this by setting it up in Galleries?

then just don't assign "the Gallery" to the Galleries page.

it seems that the template specified under ttg-be is not being applied.  i have the following settings in Pages->theGallery:
Page Assignment -Galleries
Priority - Beneath Content
Gallery Type - Galleria Slideshow

Page Assignment - Galleries is your problem. If you don't want the Galleria slide show on your Galleries page, then either disable this setting or assign the slide show to a different page

2. The gallery pages (with the thumbnails of an album) are not inheriting the phplugin settings from CE4 Pages (e.g., note that after going into a gallery the navigation bar is right justified, rather than left.)  shouldn't these properties be inherited?

no. the content is inherited, not the styling. You'll need to set the alignment in CE4 Gallery.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-09-17 03:55:59

johnbrks
Website

thanks.  that fixed everything i mentioned.

there is a new thing it introduced.
publisher places my new galleries in /galleries and not in /galleries/pages-gallery. 

1.  consequently, when one goes to the gallery page, you see the three photos i put in pages-gallery rather than a listing of the two galleries i uploaded.

2.  clicking on galleries in the breadcrumb results in a page not found

i think i am not understanding something about the hierarchy and how pages-gallery fits in and why publisher doesn't create this if it is what it needs.  or, is there why i should try to learn auto-index?

#8 2015-09-17 04:10:50

rod barbee
Website

there is a new thing it introduced.
publisher places my new galleries in /galleries and not in /galleries/pages-gallery.

that is not a problem. That is how it works. Each new album you create (and "pages-gallery" would be an album) will go into the galleries/ folder.
Unless you've also created Album Sets. Then you can have Publisher put albums in album sets.

1.  consequently, when one goes to the gallery page, you see the three photos i put in pages-gallery rather than a listing of the two galleries i uploaded.

this is exactly what I thought would happen. When you use the page replacement feature of Publisher, it replaces the page. So the original Galleries page from pages, which is an index, has been replaced by a gallery. Galleries do not have index capability.

My suggestion to you is to not even replace the Galleries page. Just use it as is. Displaying an index to your galleries is what it does. You don't need to do anything more.

2.  clicking on galleries in the breadcrumb results in a page not found

don't use Publisher's page replacement feature on the Galleries page and this should be solved.

i think i am not understanding something about the hierarchy and how pages-gallery fits in and why publisher doesn't create this if it is what it needs.  or, is there why i should try to learn auto-index?

Publisher does not need a "pages-gallery" album. This feature is mainly meant for Publisher control of a Home page gallery. This is so users won't have to change images in Pages, export, and upload again just to change their home page slide show (or whatever gallery they're using on the home page). It's totally optional

My suggestion to you is to disable the replacement feature for now. You'll then see that the Galleries page will function just as you want it to.

Take a look again at the documentation: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _home_page
I'll admit that the wording can be confusing as it states that

CE4 Publisher can be used to manage the CE4 Pages gallery page

Don't confuse the Pages gallery with the Galleries page. The Galleries page is an autoindex that will display the thumbnail links to all the albums you place in the galleries/ folder.
The Pages gallery is a gallery of images (either a slide show or a grid gallery)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-09-17 08:50:31

johnbrks
Website

Got it.  that fixed it.  thanks.

Board footer