Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-09 10:00:50

jwlimages

Basic question (I hope)

I just got the Publish web bundle to go along with Stage. I am learning, slowly it seems, and have built a test site fairly successfully. But I have a question that I can't find answered in TTG's docs or this forum:
I would like to "bifurcate" my web site - from the home page, use the navigation links to split off into two directions, "commercial" vs. "fine art/personal". Whichever choice is made, the user would be directed to what looks like a complete web site, with nav links to galleries, info, about & contact pages, etc.
What is the best way to accomplish this? I suppose one option would be to add a navigation link in my Pages site to go to a completely separate Pages site in a subdomain (and be sure to add a way to get back to the main site). But before I start trying to figure out how to do that, I'm wondering if there is a less complicated solution.
Of course, if this sounds like a bad idea, please let me know why!
Thanks,
John

#2 2015-08-09 14:52:22

rod barbee
Website

Re: Basic question (I hope)

I'd consider using sub-domains.
You could use Stage or Autoindex to create an entry page that would be your main domain.
On that page you could have some explanatory text and menu links to the two different sites.
Or you could get a little fancier and have images that are linked to the two sites. If using Stage, you can include the images and text using html in the block.

If using autoindex, you could use the autoindex enabler to create links that would show up on the page, perhaps using the Iconic layout and custom thumbnails.

Graceson used a similar approach with his sites, only he's using WordPress rather than Pages. But the idea is the same
http://gracesonaufderheide.com/

The links would go to the respective sub-domains where you'd have a Pages installation in each.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-08-10 02:21:55

jwlimages

Great, this gives me something to work on. Sounds like you're saying put the entry page on/in my main domain, then do the two branches in two separate subdomains.

If using Stage, you can include the images and text using html in the block.

-- OK, will start trying to learn how to do that. :-)

Thanks a lot, Rod.

John

#4 2015-08-12 10:49:32

jwlimages

Hi Rod,
Hope I'm not being obtuse, but more questions...

When you say

If using Stage, you can include the images and text using html in the block

do you mean just entering the html code in the "Content/Description" area of the Color Palette pane? So I would build a Home Page with Stage, not include any images (sad to have to relinquish the Galleria slideshow), and the html would spec the images & text for link. Is this correct?

(Also I'm a bit confused by the fact that I can use Stage to build a page that shows navigation links - at least in the LR preview anyway. Could I simply build a home page that way & use the nav links to redirect to the Pages Home & Galleries in the subdomains? Or is there some downside there that I'm unaware of?)

Also, using this approach - having a TTG Stage Home at my main domain, then 2 more Pages gallery sites, each in a different subdomain - will I need to do a full install of PHP plugins & TTG BE in all three places? Or should I install them one time only & just spell out full address/location for the sites in the subdomains (i.e., do these need to be in same directories as the web site content pages)?

Thanks for your guidance!

John

#5 2015-08-12 11:56:33

rod barbee
Website

do you mean just entering the html code in the "Content/Description" area of the Color Palette pane? So I would build a Home Page with Stage, not include any images (sad to have to relinquish the Galleria slideshow), and the html would spec the images & text for link. Is this correct?

Yep. To include images in the text, use html in the Page Copy (md) field (md stands for Markdown: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ntent_area )

and you don't have to give up the Galleria slide show. Put any text and still images in the block and a Galleria slide show in the grid. The Grid can be above or below the block.

Also I'm a bit confused by the fact that I can use Stage to build a page that shows navigation links - at least in the LR preview anyway. Could I simply build a home page that way & use the nav links to redirect to the Pages Home & Galleries in the subdomains?

You can put any links you want in the menu of the Stage page. That would be the easiest thing to do. But you could also do something similar to what Graceson did if you wanted a more visual portal to your two sites.

Also, using this approach - having a TTG Stage Home at my main domain, then 2 more Pages gallery sites, each in a different subdomain - will I need to do a full install of PHP plugins & TTG BE in all three places? Or should I install them one time only & just spell out full address/location for the sites in the subdomains (i.e., do these need to be in same directories as the web site content pages)?

If using sub-domains, I believe you'll need to install ttg-be in each.
And as far as phplugins, it depends on what you're doing. If it's just something like common custom css, then you can put your phplugins anywhere you want and just provide the server path.
If it's navigation, then the easiest thing is to have phplugins in each subdomain.

Graceson and I actually came up with a way to serve different custom css to different sub-domains from one phplugins file. It involved writing some conditional php code. But he has a specific need to do this. Depending on what you plan on doing, it may just be easier to use separate phplugins files.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2015-08-12 12:28:11

jwlimages

Thanks again, Rod. Very helpful info. Will look at using images as links in the block (have to learn Markdown!), but it's good to have a fall-back just using menus from Stage.

Now I'm back to work!

John

#7 2015-08-12 14:29:54

rod barbee
Website

You can use Markdown for text, but use HTML for linked images. 
In fact, if you're using more than one image (perhaps side by side), I'd suggest using the responsive grid: http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … _framework

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer