Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-07 01:49:39

evan
Website

lost download icon with gallery 6.17

I seem to have lost the download icon with my update to gallery 6.17.   In lightroom it is enabled and shows up.  The template is saved for publisher to use.  But the icon doesn't appear on the web.  Help please.

#2 2015-08-07 04:33:14

rod barbee
Website

Re: lost download icon with gallery 6.17

link?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-08-07 12:58:01

evan
Website

Having other issues as well.  a comparison of the same gallery in v 615 and 617 exported with the same preset

The bottom bar does not lock to the bottom in 617 and when you sellect it to see it full page magnific popup doesnot start.  its the same with highslide selected as well.  Both work in 615 just fine.  The download icons seem to be showing up when i export a straight gallery but when used as a template for publisher they do not show.

http://ce4.studiothomas.org/Test/WKArch-Gallery615/
http://ce4.studiothomas.org/Test/WKArch-Gallery617/

617 is not working for me either independently or as a template for publisher.  returning to 615 fixes everything.

#4 2015-08-07 13:09:29

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The case seems to be that you've updated CE4 Gallery, which includes a newer version of jQuery. Your template has the "Share resources with CE4 Pages" feature enabled, and so the gallery is looking for that version of jQuery amongst your CE4 Pages assets and not finding it, because you haven't updated CE4 Pages on your site. We addressed this situation on the blog when we announced the jQuery change in a previous update.

Solution: Use the latest CE4 Pages to update your live website. CE4 Pages includes both the new and older versions of jQuery, so is backward compatible with your older templates as well.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2015-08-07 21:52:51

evan
Website

Great!  there is always something.  Now that pages is updated most everything works, but i still l dont get download links to show in the publisher driven galleries.  Its in the template. (same template the produced the 617 gallery above)

#6 2015-08-07 22:50:11

rod barbee
Website

they're showing in the 6.1.7 album you link to above. But it doesn't appear there are files to download.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-08-08 00:32:22

evan
Website

Yes that sample gallery has no images linked to download, but the icon shows up since the gallery is set to have dl files.  On my site using publisher both the galleries here have files to dl and use the same template as 617 above, but they never show.  Download links dont show with any of my galleries that are set to use them. using gallery 617, publisher 231, pages 7014a.

http://ce4.studiothomas.org/galleries/c … as-family/
User name: ThomasFamily
Password: Thomas1

#8 2015-08-13 09:32:03

evan
Website

So anybody else with this problem?  I cant seem to get it to work.  If I return to 615 It works fine.  But for me 617 will not display dl links when used with publisher.

#9 2015-08-13 10:11:05

rod barbee
Website

I can't duplicate the problem. I tried 6.1.7 with a Magnific template with Publisher downloads enabled.

You've got Image Downloads via Publisher enabled in Output Settings?

publisher-downloads.jpg

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2015-08-13 10:32:55

evan
Website

rod barbee wrote:

I can't duplicate the problem. I tried 6.1.7 with a Magnific template with Publisher downloads enabled.

You've got Image Downloads via Publisher enabled in Output Settings?

publisher-downloads.jpg

I don't use this setting in publisher. I manually create the downloadable files, then upload them to the correct folder set under the Appearance:Image Download. But yes the Image downloads are enabled, dl buttons are enabled as well and the folder/type are set. It is strange, exactly the same settings and template from 615, and exhibiting very different behavior.

The 5000 pixel limit was a problem for client files when I use high Mpx cameras ie Medium format backs and now my 50Mpx Canon.  Even my 5d2/3 produced files bigger than 5000px wide. If it would publish 1:1 regardless of the size I would be happy to do it your way.

Last edited by evan (2015-08-13 22:12:09)

#11 2015-08-13 10:36:40

rod barbee
Website

since you were using Publisher I assumed you were using that setting as it's the only one that should affect downloads.

are the file names for the downloadable renditions exactly the same as those in the album?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-08-13 10:42:24

evan
Website

rod barbee wrote:

since you were using Publisher I assumed you were using that setting as it's the only one that should affect downloads.

are the file names for the downloadable renditions exactly the same as those in the album?

Yeah they are.  The Publisher album contains my final client tif files which is also what I use to export the jpg files I upload.

#13 2015-08-13 10:57:50

rod barbee
Website

Now that I think I've set things up in the same way you have them:

set file type for TIFF
manually add downloadable TIFF renditions

I'm seeing the same error as I do if I click on the download link on your site.

ERROR: File not found. USE download.php?file=filepath

though my download link on the large image pages is not grayed out.

this should give Matt something to work with.

Matt, here's my test gallery in case you need it: http://ce4.barbeephoto.com/galleries/al … -download/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2015-08-13 14:56:36

Matthew
Administrator
Website

This is probably a side-effect of the 6.1.6 update:

Fixed image download buttons in search results.

So you're probably going to have to use CE4 Publisher to create the files, as I don't think there's any conceivable way that we can support both manually uploaded files and functional downloads in search results. If you don't like the 5000px limit on the sliders, then open the exported template and edit the setup.xml file to contain your desired values for the downloadable rendition.

Matt

#15 2015-08-14 02:22:53

evan
Website

Matthew wrote:

This is probably a side-effect of the 6.1.6 update:

Fixed image download buttons in search results.

So you're probably going to have to use CE4 Publisher to create the files, as I don't think there's any conceivable way that we can support both manually uploaded files and functional downloads in search results. If you don't like the 5000px limit on the sliders, then open the exported template and edit the setup.xml file to contain your desired values for the downloadable rendition.

When I have publisher create the downloadable jpg files the download icon appears as it should.  The full view icon is white as it is supposed to be as well. 

Now I also have galleries that have tif files to download for clients as well (a few even have other formats as well based on client need).  Am I not going to be able to set those files as the downloadable files?

#16 2015-08-14 03:04:13

rod barbee
Website

One solution, albeit not an ideal one, is to not use Publisher for those galleries that require TIFF downloads

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2015-08-14 05:12:17

evan
Website

rod barbee wrote:

One solution, albeit not an ideal one, is to not use Publisher for those galleries that require TIFF downloads

Yeah, not ideal.  I also don't like that publishers jpg file doesn't match my exported jpg file in size even with the exact same px dimensions, ppi, and quality setting (they are close but there is between a .25 to .5% difference). I don't want my clients to question the file size difference between that and their hardcopy (CD/DVD/USB stick) I send them.  I'll have to remember to replace the publisher file with the one i want.  Easy enough when I have already been adding it manually.

I'm trying to figure out  where the difference lays between a publisher gallery with published images and a gallery with manual images.  I put the photos-for-download as the folder in Appearance:Image Download and have been comparing the files and have found only a difference in the setup.xml life.  There is an extra <rendition> in the publisher one.  I don't quite follow how letting publisher create the files changes why it decides to put the icon there or not for manual files.

Reading through all this code is complex.  I'm quite impressed Matthew.

#18 2015-08-15 02:44:27

Matthew
Administrator
Website

evan wrote:

I'm trying to figure out  where the difference lays between a publisher gallery with published images and a gallery with manual images.  I put the photos-for-download as the folder in Appearance:Image Download and have been comparing the files and have found only a difference in the setup.xml life.  There is an extra <rendition> in the publisher one.  I don't quite follow how letting publisher create the files changes why it decides to put the icon there or not for manual files.

Reading through all this code is complex.  I'm quite impressed Matthew.

It's because Publisher needs to be handling the files so that it is aware of them, so that search works, etc. It's all to do with the publisher's PHP conditions checking the existence of files.

I don't like when one feature trumps another, but I can't see any way of serving both ends.

Matt

#19 2015-08-15 02:44:45

evan
Website

Other than the produced files, what is it that publisher accomplishes by producing the files as opposed to using the Appearances:Image Download control does not.  You mentioned search as a possible reason why this isnt working out anymore.  I cant seem to follow how the difference works out.  I see that your call for the download icon is much more complicated now than it was before in 615 as well as how publisher deals with renditions, but what else has changed, or maybe more accurately what is the new call doing that the old did not.   Still trying to find a way around this.  I really like using publisher and having the freedom to use whatever file I like as the download option.  Personally search is much less of a priority.  All these pages are client pages so search is disabled so as to not cross between clients, or serve files that are protected.

#20 2015-08-15 14:39:13

Ben

Publisher galleries provide download links when the setup.xml has a photos-for-download rendition.  If not, no links will be provided.

To change the behaviour you'd need to hack the templates, e.g. changing this line from:

<?php if ($photo->hasRendition('photos-for-download')) { ?>        <li class="download-button" title="Save Image to Desktop"><a href="<?php echo $photo->getAlbumURL(); ?>download.php?file=photos-for-download/<?php echo $photo->getItemNumber(); ?>.jpg"><i class="fa fa-cloud-download fa-fw"></i></a></li>
<?php } ?>

To this:

<li class="download-button" title="Save Image to Desktop"><a href="<?php echo $photo->getAlbumURL(); ?>download.php?file=hires/<?php echo $photo->getItemNumber(); ?>.tif"><i class="fa fa-cloud-download fa-fw"></i></a></li>

Will make the following changes:

1. Always show the link
2. Look for images in 'hires' rather than 'photos-for-download'
3. Look for files ending with .tif rather than .jpg

Board footer