Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-30 05:19:55

paulpegg

Multiple Gallery problems with transfer to CE4.

I have gotten the majority of my site http://lesmarmitonsnj.com to work in CE4.

To make testing easier, I created a new folder on the server called lesmCE4. The CE3 version is mapped as lesm. When I want to switch between them i simply rename lesm to lesmCE3 and then rename lesmCE4 to lesm. it works fine.

In the lesmCE4 folder I put all the pages except the galleries along with all their custom php and html files. Everything worked fine.

In the CE3 version, I migrated all the galleries to CE4 using the CE4 Publisher that I installed there. Migration was successful.

I then copied all the galleries to the lesmCE4 site and it fell apart.

The current version active on the server is the CE4 version.

Click on Our Events and you will see the drop down list from the phplugins menu.

Click on the top album and it is not found even though it is in the proper place. When I inspect the index.php in that album it is calling the CE3 css through the autoindex template SeasonIndex which has this line define( 'TTG_COMP', 'TTG CE3-AutoIndex 3.0' );. Is this correct? i do not have the CE3 css files in this version of the site. Some of the older albums run a slideshow ok and others do not.

The album entitled CE4-Test was published in the CE4 version using the CE4 Publisher. it doesn't work either. However, The Album Set entitled 2015-2016 Events was created totally in the CE4 version and works fine except that the thumbnail in the description is not shown. It should be random.

Double click on Our Events and all the albums are listed but only CE4 Test shows a thumbnail, and that album is not found!

I know you will probably find lots of things that I did wrong.

Should I have migrated the albums in the CE4 version instead?

Last edited by paulpegg (2015-07-30 06:17:11)

#2 2015-07-30 07:27:47

rod barbee
Website

Re: Multiple Gallery problems with transfer to CE4.

I then copied all the galleries to the lesmCE4 site and it fell apart.

this probably broke the connection to the database and Publisher. You should only move or delete Publisher controlled albums and album sets using Publisher.

I think this might be something that Ben will need to have FTP access to fix. If it's fixable.

When you do the CE3 to CE4 Publisher migration, it just places the old CE3 albums and album sets under the control of CE4. So the existing album sets will still be using css from a CE3 version of autoindex.

By having the old CE3 albums and sets under control of CE4 Publisher you're then able to assign new templates. You can either create new CE4 templates and give them the same names as the old templates and then upload the new templates, overwriting the old.
Or you can create new templates with new names and then edit each album and set to assign the new template.

Probably the best way to have done this would have been to set up the test site in a subdomain. Once everything was looking the way you wanted it you could have then just changed the path to phplugins in Pages and each template, delete the old CE3 files and upload the new CE4 Pages files and gallery and autoindex templates.
Your CE3 version albums and sets would have still been in place and part of the site, just waiting to be assigned new templates.

As it is, since you physically moved the albums, I don't know if it's recoverable. But Ben will. So wait for him to to chime in from down under.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-07-30 08:03:58

paulpegg

The documentation is pretty poor in this regard. What database? How do you move things in Publisher?

Is it even necessary to migrate albums if they are static and will not be changed in the future?

I didn't move the albums, I copied them, so I have many option available.. The original CE3 version is intact. Perhaps I could just copy the CE4 pages into the CE3 folder?

My strategy is the same as a subdomain. It is just not available all the time.

#4 2015-07-30 08:19:19

rod barbee
Website

the database is in ttg-be. It's what makes all the new features in Publisher, Cart, CRG possible.
You can move albums and album sets from within Publisher. But they can only be moved inside that top-level galleries folder. If you manually move albums or sets, or the top-level folder itself, you'll break the connection to the database. The database is what makes it possible to assign templates to albums.

I didn't move the albums, I copied them, so I have many option available.. The original CE3 version is intact. Perhaps I could just copy the CE4 pages into the CE3 folder?

This is how I would go about it. It might be best to delete the old CE3 files before uploading the new CE4 files, just to makes sure there won't be any conflicts.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-07-31 05:50:53

paulpegg

I copied the data over but it still doesn't find all the albums. Some are found but the nav bar is missing. The top two do't fly at all. The next two load but the nav bar is missing or flashes the nav in text and then load with no bar. The bottom one is all new using CE4.

There must be something else I need to get. It would be nice to know where all the parts of the migration are to be found and what they do.

Last edited by paulpegg (2015-07-31 05:57:32)

#6 2015-07-31 05:51:45

rod barbee
Website

I think you'll need to ask Ben to sort it out for you.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-07-31 08:31:40

paulpegg

How do we get to Ben?

#8 2015-07-31 08:52:13

rod barbee
Website

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-07-31 09:33:51

Ben

This could be tricky.  The best way would be for me to be able to see what's on your server.  Can you grant me FTP access to your site, via the Email link under my picture?  Please also provide me with a TTG BE admin account, so that I can see what's in the database.

#10 2015-08-01 23:42:30

paulpegg

I sent it to you yesterday.

Thanks.

#11 2015-08-06 05:30:40

paulpegg

Ben came to the conclusion that the migration failed for some reason. He reversed the migration of two of the CE3 album sets and had me put a copy of the CE3 resources folder off the root.

Now you will see that the CE3 albums load with no nav bar and all the album thumbnails are dragon faces. You will see the dropdown menu text flash as you open each one. This is probably something that has to be changed in phplugins.php but I don't know where to start.

The last one is pure CE4. Everything works fine except for the dragon face when you double click on the drop down..

Last edited by paulpegg (2015-08-08 00:51:04)

#12 2015-08-09 03:07:48

paulpegg

I received this from Rod while he is in Alaska:

It looks to me that you have CE4 navigation structure on a page that was created with CE3. Are you using phplugins for navigation?
What's happening is that the page is calling for css from the CE3 resources/ folder. CE4's css is in a folder named lib/
So essentially you're trying to use page structure from CE4 (just the navigation part) with css styling from CE3. If you're going to keep your CE3 galleries you'll need to revert to the phplugins.php file you were using with CE3.
For CE4 based pages, you could have a folder named phplugins-ce4/ and use that for drop-down menus and custom css.
Either that your do what you need to do to get your galleries to migrate correctly and then replace the Publisher template you're using.

I am using phplugins.php for navigation.

I have put the CE3 resources folder on the root. I created a /phplugins_ce3 folder and put all the CE3 phplugins files in it. I renamed that phplugins.php to phplugins_ce3.php and edited the index.php and template_index.php files in the Event_Gallery_Template_8_10_2013 to HOOK to that folder and file. IT WORKED!!  That template is in both /publisher/templates and ttg-be'/templates/gallery since I am not sure which one would be called from a CE4 nav bar.

BUT, the nav bar was still not called when you pick a dropdown item for the CE3 albums sets. Once in an album and through highslide the nav bar from phplugins_ce3.php is there. I guessed this is an autoindex issue. So I did the same edits to the files in the SeasonIndex that was used to create all the CE3 albums. IT WORKED!

I am done. This is a hybrid site but none of the CE3 Albums will ever be edited again so all is well. PHEW!

I can't redo the migration because my collaborator created the CE3 Albums on his remote computer and he is away until next month.  At this point I think I will leave well enough alone.

Any thoughts?

#13 2015-08-09 05:22:37

rod barbee
Website

don't rename the phplugins.php file, just the folder. then get the new path based on the newly named folder.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2015-08-09 05:47:19

paulpegg

Thanks,

Any thoughts on the dragon faces?

#15 2015-08-09 05:56:40

rod barbee
Website

you can choose an image for each of those album sets from the Cover Image drop down in the Edit/Create Album Set dialog
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … album_sets

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2015-08-10 06:00:56

paulpegg

Thank you. I am good now.

Best,

Paul

Board footer