Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-19 08:27:33

AlanSislen

VERY Low Resolution Thumbnails on Main Galleries Page

I've just converted from CE3 to CE4 and all seems to be great except one issue.  On my new Galleries main page (within Pages) the small images for each of the galleries are each very fuzzy - like they're low rez.  Is there something I can do to generate better quality thumbnails?  I'm using the iconic layout.  If there is a way to generate higher rez thumbnails, is there a suggested size and where do i put them?
Thanks!
Alan

#2 2015-07-19 08:36:01

rod barbee
Website

Re: VERY Low Resolution Thumbnails on Main Galleries Page

If you just converted from CE3 to CE4, did you set the CE4 version to display larger thumbnails than the CE3 version?
If you're using the same index layout and you've set the CE4 version to display larger thumbnails, then you'll either need to reduce the display size of thumbnails for the index or re-export your galleries/ republish your albums with larger thumbnails.

What index layout were you using before?

Using the iconic layout, the thumbnail image will fill the thumbnail container. If the container is bigger than the image, then it will be enlarged to fit, giving you the fuzziness that you see.
The Iconic layout is best used with custom thumbnails:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … uts#iconic
Custom thumbnails: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … thumbnails
Publisher specific: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … album_sets

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-07-20 23:46:15

AlanSislen

Rob, I so very greatly appreciate your help and the support to provide to all of us!  I do want to use custom thumbnails with the iconic layout.  I have created 300px long edge thumbnails.  I am using Publisher, and I've read through the links and documents you provided at least a dozen times!  In Gallery, I have added to the item Album Thumbnail under Color Palette,  /galleries/custom-thumbnails/.  In Publisher, "galleries" is the top level galleries directory.  I have re-exported my gallery template and copied the relevant files/folders into the appropriate ttg-be folder.  I have FTPd /custom-thumbnails/ inside the top level "Galleries" folder.

But I must be doing something wrong, or missing a step because the Galleries Main page still have low rez thumbnails. Sorry to keep asking.

Alan

#4 2015-07-20 23:50:10

rod barbee
Website

In Gallery, I have added to the item Album Thumbnail under Color Palette,  /galleries/custom-thumbnails/.

This doesn't matter if you're using Gallery to create Publisher templates; it only applies to exported and uploaded galleries. So you don't need to bother with it.

Have you chosen the Cover Image for each album?
In Publisher, edit an album. Under Cover Image, choose the custom thumbnail you want to use to represent that Album.

The thumbnails inside the custom-thumbnails/ folder should appear at the top of the list, making them easier to find.

http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … album_sets

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-07-21 00:10:24

AlanSislen

I have selected a cover image for each album.  Since I'm trying to use custom thumbnails, should the custom thumbnail name be different from the original thumbnail name?  I would have thought that if there was a custom thumbnail folder it would look there first???

#6 2015-07-21 00:23:20

rod barbee
Website

you can name the custom thumbnails anything you want. It makes sense to name them such that you know which file should be assigned to which album (or album set, for that matter).
For example, if I were to make a custom thumbnail to represent my Olympic National Park album, I'd probably name it something like olympic-custom.jpg and upload it to my galleries/custom-thumbnails/ folder. It would show up under the custom-thumbnails list when I click the Cover Image drop-down.

custom-thumb-olympic.jpg

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-07-21 01:01:04

AlanSislen

Rod,
Thanks!  It took me a while, but I finally have it working.  On to WordPress!
Alan Sislen
www.AlanSislenPhotography.com

Last edited by AlanSislen (2015-07-21 06:14:33)

Board footer