Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-18 03:47:56

mjenich

Update from 6 10 2015

I want to be sure I'm doing this correctly before it actually do it so I don't screw it up. I have two updates -TTG BE and Publisher. I've downloaded the Read txt. files for both. I made the changes with TTG-be. Things seem to be working OK. Frankly, I noticed no difference when I uploaded a new gallery so I assume things are OK. When I looked at the changelog, I'm not sure I would see any differences. Correct?

My next questions have to do with Publisher. 1. In the directions it calls for replacing the application directory. There's no such thing as the application directory. There is an application. Are they the same thing? 2. It also calls for replacing the lrplugin. I assume I use Plug In Manager in LR and remove the current lrplugin and add the update. Correct?

#2 2015-06-18 05:30:18

rod barbee
Website

Re: Update from 6 10 2015

1. In the directions it calls for replacing the application directory. There's no such thing as the application directory. There is an application. Are they the same thing?

There sure is an application directory. Double click on it and you'll see more directories inside of it. Just replace the application/ directory in /ttg-be/publisher/ with the one from the update download.

2. It also calls for replacing the lrplugin. I assume I use Plug In Manager in LR and remove the current lrplugin and add the update. Correct?

correct

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-06-18 07:28:37

mjenich

I looked in both the update and on my site. I find "application". Under that heading are eight folders on my site: TTg be/publisher/application (then eight folders beginning with config and ending with views). The update have the same structure but have nine folders-delegates is in the updates. I don't find one labeled application directory. Am I missing something?

#4 2015-06-18 08:33:00

rod barbee
Website

the application/ folder is the application directory

upload the application folder in your unzipped Publisher update folder into the /ttg-be/publisher/ folder. It should overwrite the existing /ttg-be/publisheer/application/ folder.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-06-18 22:22:51

mjenich

I got all the updates done and was able to publish (and delete) a test album. So things seem to be working Ok. But in Publisher services, under TTG CE4 publisher, I lost all references to previous albums. The albums  are still on my site but not listed in Publisher Services. 1. Should that be? 2. If it should be, is there a way to get them back? 3. If not, how do I republish to those existing galleries if I want to change something?

#6 2015-06-18 22:39:04

rod barbee
Website

your existing CE4 albums should still be under your CE4 Publisher instance. You didn't delete the Publisher instance before updating the plug-in did you?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-06-19 03:16:02

mjenich

I completed the three actions in the sequence in which they were presented in the read document i.e. 1. replace the ttg-be publisher application directory, 2. Login as admin to ttg-be/publisher/admin, 3. Replace the CE4 Publisher .lrplugin, and restart LR.

I did all of the above after the updated the changes to TTG-BE i.e. the other update. However, that should not be a problem as I checked LR functioning after I made these changes and before I made the changes to Publisher. Any ideas?

Let's assume that I won't be able to get the albums back in Publisher Services. I assume it will be a problem only if I want to make some changes to those albums. If i did want to make changes I could just republish that album and I should be good to go. Correct?

#8 2015-06-19 06:46:20

Ben

Was your Publisher upgrade from a version older than CE4?

#9 2015-06-19 07:00:26

rod barbee
Website

It's strange that the albums disappeared like that. During testing I'm often installing the latest builds of Publisher. I've replaced CE4 Publisher two ways, both work:

Remove existing CE4 Plug-in from the Plug-in Manager and then add the latest version from the folder I extracted it to.

or, what I've been doing recently, copy and paste the CE4-publisher.lrplugin folder directly into the Lightroom/Modules folder. When new versions come along I just replace the old version with the new in the Modules folder.

I did all of the above after the updated the changes to TTG-BE i.e. the other update.

online updates (ttg-be, etc.) have no effect on what you see in Lightroom as far as I can tell.

Let's assume that I won't be able to get the albums back in Publisher Services. I assume it will be a problem only if I want to make some changes to those albums. If i did want to make changes I could just republish that album and I should be good to go. Correct?

Ben will know for sure.
If you try to republish an album, I'm wondering if it will just create a new album rather than adding to what's already online. But give it a try and see what happens.

Ben is going to need links to problem albums and probably admin access to ttg-be

the only thing I can think of that might make your albums go away is if the Publisher instance was accidentally deleted.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2015-06-21 01:16:26

mjenich

1. I tried republishing an album. I got an entirely new album. If you go to my site, it's the Dragon Fly albums. The new one is the one with no text in the galleries. http://www.martinjenichphotography.com/galleries.php. The problem I had was there was no way to access the existing Dragon fly album because it did not exist in Publisher Services. I had to simply use the same title.

2. As far as accidentally deleting the albums, something like that is always possible with me. But if it involved manually deleting every album individually, I'm sure I did not so that. It's possible if it could be done in mass. But i have no recollection of doing anything like that.

3. Might this have something to do with no being able to save CE4 in Publishing Manager? We discussed this problem previously and essentially decided to ignore it.

4. I looked in my LR modules folder on my C drive and there's only one entry and it's not CE4 or anything related to TTG. should that be?

5. would it make any sense to manually put the CE4 in the modules folder as is your practice?

6. Do I initiate contact with Ben or do you do that?

Last edited by mjenich (2015-06-21 01:28:08)

#11 2015-06-21 01:53:20

rod barbee
Website

5. would it make any sense to manually put the CE4 in the modules folder as is your practice?

Doesn't really matter

You should contact Ben

Did you see his question above?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-06-21 05:07:22

mjenich

Ben,

Sorry, did not see your question. Everything I have now and upgraded from,  was CE4.

#13 2015-06-26 07:15:31

mjenich

Rod,
I haven't heard from Ben. Is there another way that I should be contacting him? or do I just wait until he has time?

#14 2015-06-26 07:16:40

rod barbee
Website

did you try email or PM?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2015-06-26 07:29:14

Ben

Sorry, I don't have much to add.

A published service, with its albums and album sets, is tied to a specific plugin.  The CE4 plugin is known to Lightroom as 'com.ttg.ce4.publisher'.  Should you remove the Publisher plugin through the plugin manager, the instances should remain intact, though unusable while the plugin is not installed.  Re-install the plugin, and the instance with albums and album sets should come back to life as-is to work with the plugin.  This behaviour is built in to Lightroom, and not something we have coded or could fix if not working as intended.  That the albums have gone for you suggest either that Lightroom has failed to work correctly, or that you did in fact delete the album sets unknowingly.  By the sounds of it, the former looks to be the case. 

It may be worth looking at a catalog backup to see whether your albums come back.  If little has changed since that backup then you may be able to continue.  This is not something I have tried doing, so can't advise on how to do so safely.  You'd want to read Lightroom's documentation first.

Regarding working with existing albums on a server, you can point a new instance at an existing publisher back-end and add new albums and album sets.  These would work in parallel to whatever's there.  You won't be able to manage the earlier albums with your new publisher instance.

Were there any questions in particular you wanted help with?

#16 2015-06-27 00:36:40

mjenich

Thank you for your response. It was helpful in terms of increasing my understanding of CE4 Publisher. I haven't decided to what to do at this point. I noticed that there is a new CE4 update  that may include some some changes to the Publisher. I'll probably wait until I get the new updates installed and working before deciding. Again Thanks, I have no other questions at this point.

Board footer