Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-16 00:51:12

sileibo

Home Page and SEO

In the process of considering the pros and cons of Full Screen Flip as Home page ....

I am wondering whether using this has a negative impact on SEO?

If the Home page is populated with only images, is that a problem?

Thanks

#2 2015-06-16 01:00:49

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Home Page and SEO

It's not inherently a problem. It just doesn't offer much for SEO to latch on to. In general, SEO is based on textual content, so for best SEO, you should probably want your blog to be Home.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2015-06-16 01:23:59

sileibo

But Blog as Home aside, do you reckon the Home page SEO is much more important than the other pages such as About and Info and Contact etc?

Would say that if other pages are good on textual SEO, then the loss on the Home is not too important?

#4 2015-06-16 11:09:34

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I don't fret it much, but neither do I fret being found in search engines. It's difficult to give any sort of definitive answer, as SEO is a rapidly moving target. For example, in recent months Google has started bolstering mobile-friendliness, and penalizing sites that are not. CE4 shines on mobile-friendliness, so this has been a non-issue for our users, but people are calling it "Mobilegeddon", and it's been a bit upset for a lot of people and businesses online.

If you're using a front-page gallery, it also depends on whether your images have good captions. Those images could easily pick up the slack for SEO, but then it depends on the content of those captions ... a caption of "Pretty Waterfall, Washington State" is not going to do the SEO work of "Badass Photographer for Your Wedding, available worldwide from Washington State."

So I'd say go with your gut; if your gut ends up being wrong, you can change it. Try a gallery, let it ride for a few weeks, then run it through SEO analytics and see how things are going. If you don't like the results, try different images, a change of caption content, or try a blog as Home. SEO is one of those things where there really isn't one good answer; it depends on who you are, what you're doing, how frequently you're doing it, how well tied it is into social media, whether or not it's mobile-friendly, and the weather.

I can tell you that I make all of our galleries as SEO-friendly as I can, though that's not to say that all gallery types are equal. CE4 Gallery is probably the best at SEO, especially if you're using the single-image HTML pages for gallery presentation.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2015-06-16 17:46:51

sileibo

Cheers Matt, thanks for your insight.

I have a site that needs to be found by search and it's been heavily penalised by 'Mobilegeddon' - my fault, as I haven't updated it since CE2.

Think I'll probably try a gallery and give it a go, as you suggest - if I learn anything, will let you know.

thx again

Board footer