Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-10 18:12:45

Samoreen
Website

\r\n vs. \n

Hi,

I know that the people at TTG are rather Linux oriented but they should not forget that they also have customers using Windows (nobody's perfect).

The first problem I encountered when installing CE4 was the native incompatibility of CE4 with a Windows hosting. I could fix this easily by switching to a Linux hosting but I was surprised.

However, when looking at the various information text files included in the packages (like changes.txt), I noticed that the line terminator was systematically 0A (\n), which makes these files practically unreadable under Windows. I understand that the .php files be written using the Unix style. However, the files describing the changes or more generally giving information to the user should use a terminator style that makes these files readable on both systems : \r\n. Ditto for the plugin files installed on the user's system.

Experienced users know that they can open these files with a text editor that understand both line terminator styles but many of them will use Notepad by default and will not be able to easily read the file contents.

My two cents...

Patrick

#2 2015-06-10 19:28:22

Ben

Re: \r\n vs. \n

Hi Patrick,  regarding Windows hosting.  We are a very small outfit and simply don't have the resources to test across Windows versions.  There are multiple versions of IIS out there, all of which would require us to run multiple versions of Windows, and other WAMP-like setups that would need to be tested against.  PHP behaves quite differently in IIS that other environments.  We make it quite clear that we only support Linux hosts.  Though not a standard by any means, the vast majority of self-hosted sites seem to be Linux-based.  You may have luck on Windows but we can only provide best-effort support.

Thanks for pointing out the return characters.  We will see what can be done for the readme files.  I strongly suggest that all users try a more robust text editor than Notepad, such as Notepad++.  It's to Microsoft's shame that they continue to inflict such a feature-poor and barely useful text editor on the world (my two cents smile.

#3 2015-06-10 20:19:52

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

I strongly suggest that all users try a more robust text editor than Notepad, such as Notepad++.

Agreed. This is what I'm using, so I'm not hit by this issue. I just wanted to point out this problem for users who are not aware of the line terminator issue.

Patrick

#4 2015-06-10 20:24:28

Ben

I really appreciate that, thanks.  As a Mac user, it's something that's very easily overlooked.  I've changed the readme.txt files for CRG and Publisher to include CRLF terminators.  I'll make a note of doing the same for Cart when the next update comes out.

Board footer