Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-08 16:31:34

mmanfrediwork

New install questions

Trying to build a website but not having much luck.  Looking to try TTG products - the Web publishing bundle.  I have reviewed the install instructions and your latest video tutorial, "CE4 Install & Setup How to Video", but still have a few questions.  FYI I use a MAC, have lightroom 5 installed and use Blue host.

1) In the TTG BE Installation Set Up Instruction it states: "First, copy the /ttg-be folder from the TTG-BE zip into the top-level of your website online. It should be accessible at http://yourdomain.com/ttg-be."  Using Blue Host tools I need to know exactly what I'm suppose to do here.  What exactly is "top-level of your website"?  The site I'm working on is: markandmichellegallery.com

2) Towards the beginning of the CE4 Install & Setup How to Video, you mention how you are starting with a clean slate - nothing on the server, so should I delete all I have started previously?  Also, I notice you use "Coda".  What is it?  Do I need it?  Don't want to buy anything more than I need.  How does that portion of the tutorial translate to using Blue Host?

That's about it for now.  If I can get some relatively easy to follow instructions addressing 1 & 2 above I'll most like give TTG a shot.  Thanks
Mark

#2 2015-04-08 16:58:21

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: New install questions

Mac + LR5 + Bluehost = best case scenario. That's exactly the setup we use to develop our products.

On Bluehost, the top-level of your site is inside the /public_html folder, so you will need to FTP the /ttg-be folder to /public_html/ttg-be. You will then be able to access the folder at markandmichellegallery.com/ttg-be.

It's up to you whether to delete what's already on the server. Whatever Bluehost puts there by default, you don't need it. If you have other things there of your own, that's okay; they shouldn't interfere.

Code is my text-editor and FTP application. I like it a lot, and I do most of my work there. You don't need it; it's expensive, and you can find decent text-editors and FTP clients available for free. We discuss this some in our documentation. For example, here's our introduction to FTP: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … otocol_ftp

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2015-04-08 16:59:58

Matthew
Administrator
Website

And just so you know, we're not asking anything outlandish in expecting you to be (or be willing to become) familiar with text-editors or FTP clients. These are basic tools for any type of self-managing of a website. If you're learning this stuff for the first time, then it's an education your can carry forward to pretty much anything you do on the Web.

Matt

#4 2015-04-10 01:17:03

mmanfrediwork

Thanks so much.  I do have an FTP account with Bluehost.  So do I need something like Coda installed on my MAC as well?  I note a FTP configuration file "cyberduck" I could use from the Bluehost site

#5 2015-04-10 01:39:25

rod barbee
Website

any FTP program will do for uploading images. Cyberduck and Filezilla are free.
And for editing code, any plain text editor will work as well. Text Wrangler and Brackets are popular
http://www.imore.com/best-free-and-paid … ditors-mac

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2015-04-10 08:30:04

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Sublime Text 2 is another good text-editor gaining traction these days, available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
http://www.sublimetext.com/

I love Coda, but I sometimes fire up Sublime Text just for the fun of it.

Matt

#7 2015-04-10 10:07:28

mmanfrediwork

OK, stupid question.  Why do I need a text editor?  What does it do?

#8 2015-04-10 10:29:05

rod barbee
Website

A text editor edits text wink
But unlike a word processor, it doesn't add any formatting.

You may not even need one, but they sure do come in handy if you want to use phplugins (if you want to do any customizing outside what you can already do with the plug-ins you'll need to edit that file or create a custom.css file) or if you want to write page copy and paste it into a Publisher album's text copy field.

Most computers already have one installed, it's just that the ones we mentioned also serve as code editors. With those you get line numbering and syntax highlighting (helps find errors)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-04-13 08:20:49

mmanfrediwork

Thanks guys.  I think I know enough now to be dangerous.

#10 2015-04-13 09:48:03

Ben

My 2 cents here.  Filezilla makes for a very good FTP client on the Mac.  If you're willing to pay, then Transmit, by Panic software, is a very slick FTP client. Panic is the maker of Coda, with Transmit being a standalone FTP client.

For excellent and free text editors, look for Textmate 2 and Textwrangler

#11 2015-04-25 01:36:37

mmanfrediwork

Thanks all.  Using cyber duck and working fine.  New issue.  Using the instructions for "sharing templates between CE4 plugins" I copied, using Text Wrangler, the contents of me CE4 Pages plugin to CE4 Gallery Plugin.  When complete they both had the same name as seen in the Template browser, " TTG Website 1 - CE4 Pages".  I renamed the target back to "TTG Website 1 - CE4 Gallery".   
When I click on the TTG Website 1 - CE4 Gallery template, the CE4 Pages layout style loads and the template browser shifts back to TTG Website 1 - CE4 Pages.  I then need to click on the TTG Website 1 - CE4 Gallery template again to "apparently reload that template but the CE4 Pages plugin is still highlighted on the layout style menu.  So not sure which template/layout style is active.

#12 2015-04-25 01:50:31

rod barbee
Website

make sure you're copying only part the starting with styleData = {

there's information above this that includes the title of template, which would explain what you're seeing

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2015-04-25 04:53:19

mmanfrediwork

That's what I thought I did, as I saw nothing above the styleData = {.  But will need to check later.  In any case, im guessing the best way to fix this issue would be to delete/uninstall the CE4 gallery plugin and reinstall?

#14 2015-04-25 05:26:50

rod barbee
Website

there's all sorts of stuff above styleData

no need to delete and reinstall the plug-in as that won't change anything to do with the .lrtemplate files (your user templates)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2015-04-26 00:48:56

mmanfrediwork

Thanks Rod.  That fixed it.  Guess I was a little careless

#16 2015-05-01 08:56:18

mmanfrediwork

I am using and have installed the web publishing bundle, still just getting started.  After reviewing all the instructions and the ~20 minute video, its still not clear me why I need or the difference between CE4 Auto Index and say the Auto Index control panel that is installed with CE4 Pages.  What is the difference?  What is the advantage of one over the other?  Do I need both?  Thanks

#17 2015-05-01 09:22:27

rod barbee
Website

you need CE4 Autoindex to create Publisher templates for album sets.
You'd also need it if you wanted to create a separate index page. for instance, some people have the Galleries page and a separate index for, say, a client page. The client page would be made with autoindex.

the autoindex included with pages is just the one index, usually placed on the Galleries page.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2015-05-10 11:03:54

Matthew
Administrator
Website

pshawphoto wrote:

My question (finally): if I am unable to get my website up on the web, is there some kind of return or money back policy? I would prefer to have a trial of a few days to see if I can get the bundle working so that I will not be throwing $85 away.

There is not. All product pages in our shop state that sales are final. I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend my time handholding noncommittal customers for a series of hours spread over days only to have them demand refunds for what are arguably already underpriced products. Time is money, as they say; we get paid, you get supported products. If you buy our plugins and ask for support, you will have support. We'll make sure you get up and running. That's why the forum is here. And our products don't ask or require anything that is unusual; if you intend to manage your own website, then FTP, text-editors and installing a back end CMS are all pretty standard tasks.

Matt

Board footer