Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-19 22:19:57

home1

Gallery not working on mobile

Can you please tell me why my CE4 galleries work correctly on my desktop, but fail to display the images on an iphone or ipad?

www.chrishammondphotography.com

(Could it be connected with the fact that I tried to use PHP plug-ins last week, but gave up and unticked the box?)

Chris

#2 2015-02-19 22:53:44

rod barbee
Website

Re: Gallery not working on mobile

the mobile albums aren't producing the -single.php pages (nothing to do with phplugins)

It works in my tests so this may be a hosting issue that Ben will need to look at. He may need to see your logs, so take a look at this page:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … g_for_help

And to narrow down the problem, can you try creating and uploading a stand-alone gallery (not an album via Publisher) and see if it has the same problem?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-02-19 23:42:33

home1

Rod

It works on the iphone as a stand-alone gallery.
www.chrishammondphotography.com/TestCE4Gallery

Chris

#4 2015-02-20 00:33:11

rod barbee
Website

ok. Then it's probably a Publisher issue.

one thing to quickly try is enabling phplugins in your template (just check the box, nothing more). I know, I said phplugins shouldn't have anything to do with this - and it probably shouldn't - but what enabling phplugins does is force the gallery to export as php rather than html, which may fix this. Re-export, overwriting the template.
(there are other features, like enabling downloads, that force a php export, but this one is the easiest and won't change anything in your existing albums)

Delete the original template in ttg-be/templates/gallery just to make sure that the index.html file is no longer there, and upload the new one.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-02-20 00:52:08

home1

The uploaded Gallery template now has plug-ins enabled.  No change in mobile viewing.

#6 2015-02-20 01:29:09

rod barbee
Website

try republishing the images in an album. Make sure "Push Metadata....." is not checked in Publisher set up

Also, as this seems to be happening with Publisher, I'll move this over to that forum so Ben will be more likely to see it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-02-20 01:50:32

home1

I've republished the 'Belgium' page, 'push-metadata' is unchecked. Problem persists

#8 2015-02-20 02:01:02

rod barbee
Website

Ben will have to take a look then.
Who are you hosting with?

One thing you could try is creating another template but choose Magnific or Touch rather than single-html for the mobile presentation.
If you do, maybe keep at least the Belgium album using the current template so that Ben will have something to look at.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-02-20 05:21:09

Ben

Hi Chris, the single pages for published galleries use .htaccess files to map URLs in the form of image-id-single.php to single.php?id=image-id.  In that way, there is only one file (single.php) that handles the requests.
As an example, when viewing http://www.chrishammondphotography.com/ … ingle.php, what you should be seeing is a page that looks like http://www.chrishammondphotography.com/ … ?id=142856 (but with the browser still indicating that you're looking at 124856-single.php)

Can you check via FTP that there is an .htaccess file within galleries/home/burma?  Have you provided your own .htaccess files at any levels above that?  (i.e. at /.htaccess, /galleries/.htaccess or /home/.htaccess).  If so, try disabling them to see whether that fixes the issue.

#10 2015-02-20 06:19:59

home1

Following Rod's suggestion I have created and uploaded another gallery template, CE4GallMagnific, but the new template doesn't appear in the drop-down template selector on the publisher edit window (?).

I can't see any .htaccess files in any of the 'country' folders, or in the higher level folders for the home page or sub-index pages.

#11 2015-02-20 06:21:04

home1

PS... I'm hosting with 1and1

#12 2015-02-20 06:26:27

Ben

You may need to enable the display of hidden files within your FTP program.

#13 2015-02-20 06:35:15

rod barbee
Website

Chris,
double check where you uploaded the new template. It's not where it should be (I get a forbidden error when trying to access it directly)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2015-02-20 06:59:08

home1

I have now enabled viewing of hidden files in ftp, and I can see .htaccess files in some of the country folders (yes in Belgium and Cambodia, no in Burma and Canada..).  There are no .htaccess files inthe higher level folders.

I'm uploading the gallery templates to ../ttg-be/templates/gallery/   
...in that folder I can see folders for CE4-Gallery, CE4GallMagnific, crg-default, cart default.

#15 2015-02-20 08:10:36

rod barbee
Website

if I go to the url where the new template should be, I'm seeing a page not found error
http://www.chrishammondphotography.com/ … lMagnific/

are all the expected files in side the CE4GallMagnific/ folder?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2015-02-20 12:55:01

Ben

Hi Chris,  it may be that mod-rewrite is not enabled on your server.  Can you try editing the file burma/.htaccess so that it reads like this:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)-single.*php$ single.php?id=$1 [L]

instead of this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^(.*)-single.*php$ single.php?id=$1 [L]
</IfModule>

If the Burma gallery no longer loads after that change, then it implies that mod-rewrite is not enabled (and hence those two Rewrite lines aren't available on the server).  If that is the case then immediately go back to the prior version of .htaccess so that your gallery does work, and contact your host to request that mod-rewrite be enabled.

#17 2015-02-20 19:34:26

home1

Hi Ben

I modified the .htaccess file on the Belgium site (there isn't a .htaccess in the Burma folder for some reason).
The page works ok with the modified file, so presumably mod-rewrite is enabled on the server.

#18 2015-02-20 19:47:28

home1

Hi Rod

The CE4GallMagnific template folder did have missing files (somehow lost during the upload? Lightroom had generated the full set) 
The template is now visible in the publisher editor, I've republished the Belgium page with magnific and it works on my iPhone and iPad.

Thanks to you and Ben for your help

Chris

#19 2015-02-20 20:22:53

Ben

Hi Chris, are you having success with the *-single.php pages now?

If you do find missing files in published galleries (such as .htaccess) then you may want to try clicking on the link 'Update Album Files' on the Publisher admin dashboard.  That link re-copies the stub files that should be found in each of the galleries, such as index.php, single.php and .htaccess.

(The actual intention of that function is to give customers way of upgrading the stub files should we ever need to change those files or put bug fixes in them.  So far we haven't needed to change them.)

Board footer