Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-30 03:58:18

rsamco
Website

Publisher error when updating an Album Set's settings

Rick

#2 2015-01-30 04:09:57

rsamco
Website

Re: Publisher error when updating an Album Set's settings

In digging deeper, something is ready screwed up with this albumSet/Album tree. Don't know how it got this way, but going to delete it within Lr and on Server, and ignore how it might have happened. If it happens again I will add to this thread.

Rick

#3 2015-01-30 06:22:20

Ben

Hopefully this will be a one-off.  Had you had anything go wrong prior to that error, such as Lightroom crashing while using Publisher?  Also, had you manually changed any files in your galleries using FTP?  That can confuse Publisher.

If this happens again, it will be helpful for me to be able to look at your file structure and database.

#4 2015-01-31 05:34:52

rsamco
Website

Ben, I did experience some Publisher errors earlier when I was changing album and album set parameters (e.g., slugs). I had a very bad experience a while ago with CE3 where Lr, galleries.xml (i.e., CE3's db), and the server's data structures got out of agreement. So I am very sensitive to problems in this area. Therefore whenever I experienced a CE4 Publisher error, I used FTP to inspect the server's file structure to make sure it agreed with what Lr was reporting for slugs. I always found everything in agreement so I assumed the errors had no side-effects and continued. Apparently something did get out of wack at some point. To my knowledge, I did not manually performed any FTP changes that could have caused the problem (only used FTP to delete the album set tree after it was deleted within Lr).

BTW, some of the Publisher errors definitely occurred as a result of a bug in Publisher-220 reported in this forum. After a few Publisher errors were experienced I search this forum and found that a hot fix existed ... I immediately updated to 220b. But I am still periodically experiencing Publisher errors from the server...

My earlier bad CE3 Publisher error experiences occurred when my website was hosted on an old-technology GoDaddy Linux server. In preparation for moving to CE4 I recently moved my website onto a cPanel server. I debated whether to go with TTG-recommended BlueHost but stayed with GoDaddy when my research showed that the performance, quality, & support differences between these two ISPs' cPanel hosting products appeared to be close to zero. Anyway, I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I received my first CE4 Publisher error since I was hoping to leave them behind. As before, many (all since 220b) seem to me to be concurrency errors -- where one Publisher transaction hasn't completed before the next is submitted. Unfortunately there is no way for a user to know when a transaction is complete so IMO there is an inherent race condition (I suspect that this is an architectural problem with Lr's publishing toolkit). Anyway, in my experience even waiting 30 seconds after an apparently successful album set/album change may be insufficient. I have come to this conclusion as a result of experiencing these errors mostly (probably only) when doing lots of album/album set creations/modifications when setting up a new album set tree before publishing a tree of albums/images from a recent trip (or presently while setting up a sandbox CE4 tree for experimentation).

I am curious, what database technology is CE4 using in place of CE3's galleries.xml scheme?

Rick

#5 2015-02-03 05:06:14

rsamco
Website

Ben, I can repeatedly cause the publisher error shown at the bottom of this post by taking the following steps:
a) Create new root publisher album set (say "AlbumSetA");
b) Create new album set (say "AlbumSetB") within AlbumSetA;
c) Edit AlbumSetB's Title and Slug and commit ... below error occurs.

Both album sets are empty of images and therefore haven't been explicitly published. And I believe that the server structure and Lr naming is now out of sync (forgot to double check this though).

20150202_publisherError.jpg

Last edited by rsamco (2015-02-03 05:14:13)

Rick

Board footer