Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-29 03:30:33

taog
Website

FROM Email

Hi,

how can i set the FROM email adress to the entered customer email? actualy is my own email set to it.

Why? When i press reply on the received email i answer to my self and not to the client. wink

Regards Torsten

#2 2015-01-29 06:10:33

Ben

Re: FROM Email

Hi Torsten,  we already have something similar in our working code.  The FROM address remains as yours, however the REPLY-TO is set to that entered by the client.  Clicking reply therefore goes to the client's address.

I don't have a schedule for updating this.  We don't have any known bugs and want to avoid unnecessary update fatigue for our clients.

#3 2015-01-29 06:45:13

taog
Website

Ben wrote:

Hi Torsten,  we already have something similar in our working code.  The FROM address remains as yours, however the REPLY-TO is set to that entered by the client.  Clicking reply therefore goes to the client's address.

I don't have a schedule for updating this.  We don't have any known bugs and want to avoid unnecessary update fatigue for our clients.

when it will come, nice smile

#4 2015-02-13 01:21:53

pierre_paris

Hi Ben & Taog,

That's an issue for me too.
No pressure but it's true that it easily messes the mailbox.
Thanks for looking at it smile

Pierre

#5 2015-02-13 06:06:54

Ben

Hi Pierre and Torsten, this was included in 6.0.3, which came out last week.  See the changelog for the updates and upgrade instructions: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _changelog

#6 2015-02-13 06:32:05

pierre_paris

Hi Ben,

I don't use CRG, but the Web Publishing Bundle, and the last changelog on TTG-BE(-203) shows 2015-01-20.
Is it possible to change it there too to fix this issue on the contact form system ?
Thanks smile

Pierre

#7 2015-02-13 06:51:43

taog
Website

Ben wrote:

Hi Pierre and Torsten, this was included in 6.0.3, which came out last week.  See the changelog for the updates and upgrade instructions: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _changelog

Hi Ben, i update my lightroom and webservices but dit not finde the part for changing the sender email to the client adress. it is allways my own sender adress what can i change.

#8 2015-02-13 07:01:53

rod barbee
Website

Ben, I believe they want the From field of the feedback email to contain the client's name/email for easier email sorting. Right now the From field is the photographer's business name

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#9 2015-02-13 07:38:21

Ben

Ah, that can not be done.  If the from address changes from client to client, then the chances are that your host will either refuse to send the emails or they'll be marked as spam along the way.  For example, mail servers will detect that an email purporting to be from yourclient@yahoo.com did not originate from Yahoo, so will mark such emails as spam.

Reply-to offers a way to have the correct email address in place upon replying to emails.  Unfortunately that won't help with sorting.
How about if made it possible to add the client name into the email subject?

Pierre, good suggestion.  I'll look into this.

#10 2015-02-13 08:18:09

Daniel Leu
Website

Adding it to the email subject would make sense to me.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#11 2015-02-13 08:19:42

rod barbee
Website

+1

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#12 2015-02-13 17:32:51

pierre_paris

+ 1

#13 2015-02-13 20:42:08

taog
Website

Ben wrote:

Ah, that can not be done.  If the from address changes from client to client, then the chances are that your host will either refuse to send the emails or they'll be marked as spam along the way.  For example, mail servers will detect that an email purporting to be from yourclient@yahoo.com did not originate from Yahoo, so will mark such emails as spam.

Reply-to offers a way to have the correct email address in place upon replying to emails.  Unfortunately that won't help with sorting.
How about if made it possible to add the client name into the email subject?

Pierre, good suggestion.  I'll look into this.

Ehm, when i use TTG i host it at my own server. this server sends the mail. yahoo as example will mark the mail from my own server as spam when the from adress ist the client mail adress?

#14 2015-02-13 20:45:40

taog
Website

dl wrote:

Adding it to the email subject would make sense to me.

ALBUM TITLE in email subject would be great!

#15 2015-02-13 21:47:48

Ben

taog wrote:

Ehm, when i use TTG i host it at my own server. this server sends the mail. yahoo as example will mark the mail from my own server as spam when the from adress ist the client mail adress?

I don't know how your server would handle it.  Emails pass through multiple systems, from your server to the email recipient's server.  Any server or software along the way would easily be able to tell that the email from @yahoo didn't actually originate from Yahoo, and could drop it or mark it as spam.

#16 2015-02-13 21:53:14

Ben

I will look at adding two tokens to the email subject: [CLIENT_NAME] and [ALBUM_TITLE].  That way they can be added as needed, for example setting the client email subject to this: "You have received new feedback from [CLIENT_NAME]".  I'll need to look further into the possibility of album title, since the CRG may not know the album title, especially for non-Publisher generated albums.

#17 2015-02-13 22:15:40

taog
Website

Ben wrote:
taog wrote:

I don't know how your server would handle it.  Emails pass through multiple systems, from your server to the email recipient's server.  Any server or software along the way would easily be able to tell that the email from @yahoo didn't actually originate from Yahoo, and could drop it or mark it as spam.

ok, but the formtoemail.php script do it very well. the version before crg6.x

#18 2015-02-15 15:58:02

Matthew
Administrator
Website

taog wrote:

Actually, it didn't. We had a lot of reports of delivered messages being flagged as spam, or of messages simply not arriving at all (presumably because some intermediary server flagged the message as spam and killed it). Form-to-Email was becoming increasingly unreliable, and more a liability for the product, hence our decision to scrap it in favor of a proprietary solution.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#19 2015-02-15 16:51:29

taog
Website

Matthew wrote:
taog wrote:

Actually, it didn't. We had a lot of reports of delivered messages being flagged as spam, or of messages simply not arriving at all (presumably because some intermediary server flagged the message as spam and killed it). Form-to-Email was becoming increasingly unreliable, and more a liability for the product, hence our decision to scrap it in favor of a proprietary solution.

what you think about an option switch for "client email" and "server email"?
for me it works with CRG and formtoemail. i think i am not the only one wink
for this ppl it does not work, switch by default to server email.

regards torsten

#20 2015-02-15 19:31:58

Ben

Using 'mail' for the TTG BE mail send type should be close to equivalent to the form-to-email behaviour.  It utilises the same php function.

One point to consider is that unlike CE3, the CE4 version provides the ability to view the complete feedback from the admin interface.  This is always available, even if the emails don't get through.

#21 2015-03-09 00:45:51

taog
Website

Any Chance to get a news about the problem?

after many response in my mailclient it would be great to have back the art from FormToMail.php

Thats what my email account lloks like and we hav started this year wink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn6rluqsrtork … l.png?dl=0

#22 2015-03-09 14:44:08

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Ben already addressed the problem. Configure the module to use 'mail' instead of 'smtp'.

We will not be reimplementing Form-to-Mail.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer